Move to Alaska?

Clarktar

WKR
We bought our house a couple years ago and we viewed it two hours after it went on the market (first people) and we were one of three offers in by the end of that day. At that point we missed out on 3 houses because we didn't find them on day 1. We're on the East end of Wasilla in the prime commute area. I can think of 6 houses in our neighborhood that have sold in the last couple months. Five of them never had a for sale sign up; just right to a sold sign. The other one was asking a CRAZY amount so it took a little longer to sell - 4 days. It's a perfect storm if you live in a good commuter area in the valley. Housing shortage and people are running from Anchorage. We are having very serious talks about selling and living in an RV for 1-2 years.

It is what you make it. It's easier if family is wealthy and/or retired and they can visit whenever they want to. Our families are neither so we feel pretty obligated to visit so they can see grandkids. My family is spread out across 4 states and my wife's is in another. So it's not just one trip to the L48 and we can see everyone. When you live here with no family, half of your vacation time is spent on vising family. You literally get to hunt half as much as someone with family here. There is no help with kids from grandmas or siblings. No quick babysitters. No asking someone to pickup the kids if you're in a bind. No weekend at Grandmas so we can do something on our own. And if you want to go on vacation, you either need to fly up a grandma ($$$$) or take an extra couple days and extras flights ($$$$$$$$) to drop kids off and then onto your destination. We're to the point now where our Christmas/Birthday presents to our parents are annual plane tickets to Alaska. It's a sacrifice but worth it for us. Alaska was made for raising kids in.
We moved up August of 2020 and have the same extended family dynamic ( we have two kiddos). We left an area where we had a good network in the community and could rally up sitters, grandma's etc with ease.

It's been a struggle and I wouldn't say it has been worth it just yet but I have faith it will be.

Housing market is rough in all the places we have been looking. I'm a TJ maxx, bargain bin kinda guy so we will likely be renting until market conditions are more friendly in my court.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

AKBorn

WKR
There’s a job open in Dillingham- does anyone have any input about the area?

Not trying to hi-jack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You may already know this, but in case you don't -

Dillingham is not on the road system, it's about an hour's flight from Anchorage. Small village of about 5,000 people in the southwest portion of the state.

Back in the day it had one restaurant, two motels/B&B's, and one grocery store. The only roads back then were through town and a gravel road out to Aleknagik Lake.

In the smaller Alaskan communities it takes a while for the people to warm up to strangers, so be prepared to spend a lot of time alone until you are accepted into the community. Do not expect people to be open regarding hunting or fishing opportunities until they know who you are and have a comfort level that you may actually stick around a while.

It (like much of Alaska) can be a cold, dark place in the winter time.

What type of job opening, if I may ask? I'm retired, just curious.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
It is worth remembering that Alaska is a huge state with a diversity of ecological environments to match. My personal requirements when fist moving up was I had yo be close to mountains and close to the ocean. That helped eliminate a lot of places from my search.

Clarktar

WKR
You may already know this, but in case you don't -

Dillingham is not on the road system, it's about an hour's flight from Anchorage. Small village of about 5,000 people in the southwest portion of the state.

Back in the day it had one restaurant, two motels/B&B's, and one grocery store. The only roads back then were through town and a gravel road out to Aleknagik Lake.

In the smaller Alaskan communities it takes a while for the people to warm up to strangers, so be prepared to spend a lot of time alone until you are accepted into the community. Do not expect people to be open regarding hunting or fishing opportunities until they know who you are and have a comfort level that you may actually stick around a while.

It (like much of Alaska) can be a cold, dark place in the winter time.

What type of job opening, if I may ask? I'm retired, just curious.
There is a WIildlife Bio II opening.

Slick, Thinhorn lives in Dillingham and a close friend of my wife and I lives there as well.

gbflyer

WKR
Marbles and gbflyer, just curious, what to you do for a living? And, did you find that job in a career field you were already in or did you start new careers?

Bought a tourist business, survived it, back to construction.

gbflyer

WKR
What area(s) in SE are you referring to (being affordable)?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Gustavus is a total sleeper, Haines to some extent, Wrangell, Craig, Klawock, Thorne Bay and some of the other small towns on POW. Ketchikan is in there for a bigger place.

Juneau may get real reasonable and Skagway if they don’t figure out how to get their cruise ships back pretty soon.

Wapack

FNG
Thanks for all the responses. To fill in a little info, we’re in our 70s, relatively healthy, will be fully vaccinated for COVID, travel is flexible, driving is first choice, ferry second, if we have to fly, so be it. My wife lived in Anchorage as a kid in the 50s. We’ve looked at the historical weather pattern, take with a grain of salt, not enough difference from here to matter. BUT, we do tend to find ourselves in Nevada or Arizona for Dec thru Jan/Feb as it is, so it’ll probably be the same. Being retired has its advantages. We are looking at southeast area, Wasilla/Eagle River, Soldotna/Kenai, possibly Homer, if we find the right home while there we will buy it, not limited to any timeframe, well at least til Thanksgiving anyway. We will either sell our or rent our Montana house, we have another in California that’s rented now and would sell if necessary, both have substantial equity. We’re not rich but are very comfortable financially. TOYS, you can never have too many toys, right? Hunting and fishing, I’ll just have to make it work as best I can.
We are looking forward to the whole thing, if it doesn’t work out then we’ll have had a long enjoyable vacation.
I live in Homer it’s great and I do love it here, but downsides are summers are really really busy in town. Its a skating rink in the winter. And there’s lots of hippy‘s haha.

Reactions: BFR

Arctic_Beaver

Lil-Rokslider
I loved my time in AK, but not a place I want to put my kids in public schools.

Alaska is a beautiful state filled with degens.. (there's lots of great people too, but it has a degen problem)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Meh... speak for yourself ;)

gbflyer

WKR
I loved my time in AK, but not a place I want to put my kids in public schools.

Alaska is a beautiful state filled with degens.. (there's lots of great people too, but it has a degen problem)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

A lot of truth there actually.

Bighorse

WKR
I live in Ketchikan. Spent 10 years in Sitka before Sitka Gear launched a brand. I boated you Kuiu island before Kuiu was a company.

It’s a simple equation. Move to AK if you want to be an industrious contributor to a small community. Bring your talents and resources and build your family something special. You won’t appreciate lower 48 virtues here. The culture invites a resourceful capable soul to grow roots in a place still very much entrenched with Mother Nature.

As a man I’ve enjoyed the pursuit of excellence
Not in cars, stocks, and women but in miles, tides, and peaks.

Attachments

• ECBDEF04-2D94-4347-81B2-169825E6D0C2.jpeg
    ECBDEF04-2D94-4347-81B2-169825E6D0C2.jpeg
    455 KB · Views: 135
  • 142A1280-0745-440F-8890-5DDDE12B2ECE.jpeg
    142A1280-0745-440F-8890-5DDDE12B2ECE.jpeg
    332.7 KB · Views: 136
  • 43A11B79-D0B9-475B-98EB-1C1D3F2800EE.jpeg
    43A11B79-D0B9-475B-98EB-1C1D3F2800EE.jpeg
    285.7 KB · Views: 137

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
I live in Ketchikan. Spent 10 years in Sitka before Sitka Gear launched a brand. I boated you Kuiu island before Kuiu was a company.

It’s a simple equation. Move to AK if you want to be an industrious contributor to a small community. Bring your talents and resources and build your family something special. You won’t appreciate lower 48 virtues here. The culture invites a resourceful capable soul to grow roots in a place still very much entrenched with Mother Nature.

As a man I’ve enjoyed the pursuit of excellence
Not in cars, stocks, and women but in miles, tides, and peaks.
That sure looks like a woman to me in the second pic. :D

Where did you get the boots you both have on? I worked at Anheuser-Busch Brewery in the '80s and they gave us these boots for work and dang if I can find them anywhere. They are great wet weather boots and I'd sure like to get another pair.

Thanks,

Eddie

Catchfish

WKR
The boots are xtra tuffs, most people have at least one pair in Alaska, some have moved from them because they are made in China now and not the US like they used to be.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
The boots are xtra tuffs, most people have at least one pair in Alaska, some have moved from them because they are made in China now and not the US like they used to be.
Thanks Catchfish. I know the ones I wore were made in USA, but I will look into them even though I do not like to buy MIC.

Eddie

SFras

FNG
It is worth it for sure, make the move!! I don’t regret it

I live in Homer it’s great and I do love it here, but downsides are summers are really really busy in town. Its a skating rink in the winter. And there’s lots of hippy‘s haha.
thats why right after we dump our boat in the harbor we head to seldovia. Fish all day then go hang out there and relax. Best part is there is never a wait at the fish cleaning station.

Two earthquakes this morning and a winter weather wind and snow advisory...in April. Just adding more insight into Alaska for ya! Lol

You forgot the part about it’s supposed to get down to -10° tonight. And we live in the banana belt.