Rifle scope for Alaska hunting

MOinAK

FNG
Just move from Missouri to Alaska. Grew up hunting whitetail, turkey, and pheasant. Now that we are in Alaska I plan on going after moose, caribou, sheep, and bear. Is there any recommendations on magnification power that would be good for all four species or would it be beneficial to have different set ups for each. I currently have a 30.06 with a 3x9. Looking to get a 300 WM or 300 PRC.

Thanks for the advice in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3-9x40 is still the standard scope up here. There are other possible reasons to upgrade (reliability), but the power range isn't one of them. The 2-7x, 2.5-8x and 2-10x have historically been popular also. I've shot about 90% of my game at power ranges between 4x and 6x if that helps.

As far as caliber, the 30-06 is still the standard also. I've kept notes on hunting trips since 2006, and thus far I've seen the '06 kill more game that the .300 WM, .375, .338, 45-70, .270, 7 RM, .223, .308, 35 Whelen, and a few others... COMBINED. If you want to upgrade, mechanical reliability or gun configuration will be the reason rather than caliber.

If you want to specialize guns for species, then a light gun / light caliber for mountain game and a shorter mid weight gun for moose and bear. Anything works for caribou and blacktail, so use what makes you happy there.

I picked up a used Swaro Z51 in 3-18x44 and it was awesome on my .340 up there. The smaller (44mm) objective didn't take up the real estate that the bigger objectives do on the rifle, but it was really nice having all that power in the zoom if I needed it. Should meet your needs on the sheep, and still have a low end that is useful for bears or moose in the thick stuff. (pic because Alaska is awesome)

Attachments

• IMG_1946[1].JPG
    IMG_1946[1].JPG
    348.4 KB · Views: 36
I used a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40mm B&C reticle on my grizzly bear hunt (280 AI). I really like that scope and the power range is perfect for close and far. I carry it on 6x but it's nice to be able to dial up a bit. Something in this range will work great. I am impressed with the B&C reticle for longer distances too up to 500 yards.

OP
M

MOinAK

FNG
Thanks for the feed back. I do like my 30.06 the only problem is that it is not stainless and has a wood stock. So I’ll probably get a rifle that will hold up to the Alaska weather and maybe pair it with the Maven RS.2 2-10x38.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
Steiner t6xi 2.5-15x50 on sale at cameraland and you get a free pair of steiner binos with it right now that would be my choice

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
You don't need a magnum nor a special scope. Stainless is a high priority though (or nitride). So, having read more I agree that getting another rifle is warranted.

For rifles I'm currently using Tikkas (a 223 and a 308). For scopes SWFA and S&B. Trijicon and NF are also good options.

Some good reading before spending money.

Hagas4all

FNG
3-9x40 is still the standard scope up here. There are other possible reasons to upgrade (reliability), but the power range isn't one of them. The 2-7x, 2.5-8x and 2-10x have historically been popular also. I've shot about 90% of my game at power ranges between 4x and 6x if that helps.

As far as caliber, the 30-06 is still the standard also. I've kept notes on hunting trips since 2006, and thus far I've seen the '06 kill more game that the .300 WM, .375, .338, 45-70, .270, 7 RM, .223, .308, 35 Whelen, and a few others... COMBINED. If you want to upgrade, mechanical reliability or gun configuration will be the reason rather than caliber.

If you want to specialize guns for species, then a light gun / light caliber for mountain game and a shorter mid weight gun for moose and bear. Anything works for caribou and blacktail, so use what makes you happy there.
Curious if you have recorded average shot distance as well?

Also what your thoughts are on using lighter calibers on Alaskan big game?

I have recorded shot distances to some degree. They have ranged from 16 yrd to 400 yds. <100 yds is very very common, but longer shots happen often enough that the 45-70 type guns will be a handicap. Shots this year were about 175, 254, 40, 30, and 75 for my group. That's pretty typical.

Not sure what you define as a "lighter caliber", but the bulk of game I've killed or witnessed killed were with non-magnums. People usually shoot them better, and that matters more than anything. My 14 yr old son dropped another deer this year with his favored .223. He carries it because he shoots it better, and aced a perfect neck shot.

That said... I used a .338 WM on my own fork blacktail this year, so I'm not against them either!

Hagas4all

FNG
I have recorded shot distances to some degree. They have ranged from 16 yrd to 400 yds. <100 yds is very very common, but longer shots happen often enough that the 45-70 type guns will be a handicap. Shots this year were about 175, 254, 40, 30, and 75 for my group. That's pretty typical.

Not sure what you define as a "lighter caliber", but the bulk of game I've killed or witnessed killed were with non-magnums. People usually shoot them better, and that matters more than anything. My 14 yr old son dropped another deer this year with his favored .223. He carries it because he shoots it better, and aced a perfect neck shot.

That said... I used a .338 WM on my own fork blacktail this year, so I'm not against them either!
Well I danced around the 223/243/6.5 as to not attract unwanted attention from the 223 thread, but that’s what I’m specifically referencing. Have you noticed any difference in the “killing ability” between that an say the 06 which I believe you have some experience with?

I have hunted with a 6.5 for several years with good success on deer size to moose sized game. My hunting partner uses an 06 and critters don’t seem to like it as much when he shoots them. Could just be in my head.

Fully support using something just cause! Recently inherited a 35 Remington lever that I plan to put some stuff in the dirt with.

I don't think I've ever seen a 6.5 of any type used yet. Ironic considering it's sales. It just hasn't made real inroads into the moose camps yet. Should be ideal for a lot of things though.

We've used .223 on a few deer and caribou with a perfect track record, but that's hardly a new thing. It's been a popular caribou rifle for decades in the remote portions of the state. The biggest issue by far is finding decent hunting ammo for it. I found a single box of 70 gr accubonds this year, and we used that. The larger calibers have a much much wider range of functional ammunition easily available on every shelf.

The .338 got used on the deer, because we were calling in the thick timber on Afognak Island. And from previous experience, those fawn in destress calls sometimes bring in large brown things at uncomfortably close ranges!

SDHNTR

WKR
Are brown/griz a concern? If yes, I'd err on the bigger side personally.

As for scopes, I would lean towards a Nightforce SHV 3-10 or NXS 2.5-10.

Hagas4all

FNG
I don't think I've ever seen a 6.5 of any type used yet. Ironic considering it's sales. It just hasn't made real inroads into the moose camps yet. Should be ideal for a lot of things though.

We've used .223 on a few deer and caribou with a perfect track record, but that's hardly a new thing. It's been a popular caribou rifle for decades in the remote portions of the state. The biggest issue by far is finding decent hunting ammo for it. I found a single box of 70 gr accubonds this year, and we used that. The larger calibers have a much much wider range of functional ammunition easily available on every shelf.

The .338 got used on the deer, because we were calling in the thick timber on Afognak Island. And from previous experience, those fawn in destress calls sometimes bring in large brown things at uncomfortably close ranges!
Thanks for sharing.

TaperPin

WKR
I think the 300 mag is a good idea - be careful when picking a scope for a rifle with decent recoil because not all of them have the same eye relief.

It’s also nice to have a weather resistant rifle with iron sights and detachable scope to tote along all summer without the scope when fishing or hiking, or just piece of mind when camping.

Sheep, caribou, and deer are pretty easy to kill. Alaskan moose are much larger than those in the lower 48, and can be as dangerous as the bears. You’ll hear all about that from locals - plenty of videos of moose stomping people to death.

You’ll soon learn Alaska has a big range of income levels - many times a rifle and cartridge choice of the locals is based on what’s economical to shoot.

22lr

WKR
I've used my blued Winchester 70 in 30-06 with a 3-12x40 all over Alaska. I tried taking the wood stock on one trip, and then replaced it with a synthetic. That said, still being blued, I just carry a few oil wipes on trips to wipe it down at the end of every day. Not much of a hassle, just something you have to do. I think I'm finally getting a new rifle but not entirely convinced ill move away from the 30-06 yet. The only real advantage you can get on higher magnification is if your really going to take the longer range shots. Just don't succumb to the temptation of thinking you can use a rifle scope as your spotter. Aside from any safety debate, its just so much more comfortable to use a real spotting scope for your glassing.

That said, I did finally upgrade my scope to a 6-24x50 FFP and with my 30-06 took a nice Brown bear down on the Kenai in Sept. But it was only a 298yd shot, and I have shot caribou further than that with my 3-12x40. For me it was more about being able to open up the 400+ yard shots to being "more" possible that justified the weight of the new scope in my eye.