Moving to Greenville, SC area.

cruizer

Lil-Rokslider
Finally talked the wife into getting out of the swamp, and getting back to a four seasons area. Narrowed it down to the tri cities area of Tenn or the Greenville, SC area. After visiting both areas, we decided on Greenville. We want to be north of Greenville. For those in the area, we are looking at Travelers Rest, Greer, Boiling Springs and Campobello. Any pros or cons for these areas would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Swamp Fox

WKR
I would have stayed in the swamp ... LOL .... ;)

All I know is it is a growing area :rolleyes: and even 30 years ago we had a truckload of guys from Travelers Rest hunting with us well south and east of there.

EdP

WKR
I don't know anything bad about the Greenville SC area, but the Tri cities area is terrific. Tn is a solid red state and the Tri-cities has great health care, a thriving economy, and vast National Forest lands close by. Your criteria and reasons for selecting Greenville are your own business, but maybe the Tri-cities deserves another look.

KenLee

WKR
Campobello would be my choice of the areas listed in SC. Traffic in Greenville, Greer and Boiling Springs is awful, but may be worth it depending on where you will work.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Our elk population is rather limited (sarcasm alert) but we can deer hunt 3.5 months in the upstate (4.5 months in SC midlands and coastal region).

Boiling Springs will likely get you the most bang for your buck in real estate- followed by Campobello.

Travelers Rest has become somewhat of a mini tourist trap-not horrible but it has graduated past the quaint stage IMO. Greer is just OK. If you want to be out of the more densely populated areas I would look at Campobello.

Rokbar

WKR
I drive HWY 25 every day. TR would be bettter than I85 or 26. Growing aea very fast. Some public land on 25. Im in NC but see some good hunting on public off HWY25. PM me and I would love to look a some good ridge to ridge shooting. Greenville SC is nice. STAY AWAY from I85…...

EdP

WKR
Greenville native. Wonderful community.

I don't doubt that for a second. Hartsville SC was my home for 18 years and I only left for a better work situation. When searching for a place to retire I wanted to be closer to the mtns.

ShortMagFan

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt with a friend who has a big piece of family land near TR. fantastic area. Good luck. We’ve consider selling everything and moving to that area as well

Drenalin

WKR
I don't know anything bad about the Greenville SC area, but the Tri cities area is terrific. Tn is a solid red state and the Tri-cities has great health care, a thriving economy, and vast National Forest lands close by. Your criteria and reasons for selecting Greenville are your own business, but maybe the Tri-cities deserves another look.
No, it doesn't. That part of TN is barely fit for human habitation, yet somehow there's no more room. I encourage folks to look elsewhere, for sure.

OP
cruizer

cruizer

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks to everyone for the replies. Sorry for the late response, but our home here in Venice goes on the market Dec 27th, so been getting things ready for showings. It’s amazing how much crap you can accumulate in 9 short years, but a lot of it is getting thrown out.
I need to get back to a couple gents who responded, and will do that via email, but it may be a day or two. If anyone else is familiar with the area, don’t hesitate to respond, and thanks again for all the feedback.

KenLee

WKR
I can probably help you get started deer hunting in Spartanburg/Union/Cherokee Counties next season unless you stumble on a honey hole near where you end up.

OP
cruizer

cruizer

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone familiar with Chesnee? Realtor sent us info on a few homes there. It’s pretty close to the NC border.

KenLee

WKR
Nice lil public county waterworks fishing lake named Blalock.
Land prices were relatively cheap 5 years ago, but no longer.