Moving to Utah! Two quick questions..

Timberninja

Lil-Rokslider
Per the above, me and the family are leaving California for Utah. I got a job offer in Park City and we're moving out/in thanksgiving week, super excited to move to the mountains and cooler temps!

Would be great to meet up or get in touch with any local Roksliders. I'm doing as much research as possible on archery ranges, hunting/fishing opportunities but first hand intel on the area would be great.

Secondarily, I was initially suppose to move earlier this fall and got a Wasatch deer tag (archery). Due to some challenges with my wifes work etc, the move came together later than planned. Hence, I haven't been out in Utah yet (aside from when I interviewed).

I'm hoping to get and hunt out a day or two during thanksgiving as it's the last days of the season. If anyone has any pointers for a good areas/trailhead to venture out in I'd be super grateful. I've looked at some different areas on google earth/topo maps that I can share with PM as well, just looking to get some feedback/pointers. Looks like there is some snow on the way, hopefully that will push them down a bit. I have zero expectations but would be great to see some game/get a chance to fill the freezer for the winter.

Feel free to PM me! Firing up the truck sunday morning, heading east!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I believe you can hunt the extended late season with that tag but you better make sure first. That's a beautiful area for sure. Some really good people in Utah. We have some great tags if you can get lucky and draw some. I live farther south and haven't really hunted that unit.

Welcome to Utah.
Yes you can hunt the extended when you get here. There are even some places close to Park City you can try. There is an online ethics course you will need to complete, print and have on your person while out.
Just look for trucks with antler stickers at trailheads. Very few secrets left on the front.

OP
Timberninja

Timberninja

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys, really appreciate it! Yeah, I've taken the additional online class and there seems to be some areas not to far away that look promising. I'll try to drive around and see what it looks like earlier in the week (have some errands in SLC) and head out when the storm settles and people start eating turkey..

As you drive from Park City to SLC keep an eye out for bucks off of I80. I passed a nice 4x4 yesterday morning 30 yards off the road on my way to work. You will not have a tough time finding bucks, but you will have a tough time getting within 50 yards. It is a blast, get out there and have some fun!