Mule deer neck shots?

rfertig

FNG
I've had archery neck shots twice--neither was intentional (but I was younger and more risky). The first was a 4x6 mulie where I pulled the shot but should have waited for a better angle anyways; the second was an the decent antelope buck, he jumped the string. I hit the jugular on the antelope and he was dead within seconds. For the deer, after a great starting blood trail, I ended up tracking the deer for 2 days--after about 10 hours I actually got within 6 ft of him again along a cut bank with only a head/neck shot, but I didn't take it because I thought he was wounded badly (based on the blood trail) and would stand for a finishing shot. He bolted and eventually ran to a big chunk of private property that wouldn't grant me permission to look for him. I ended up finally killing him about a month later during the rifle season--he was very sick (still in a nasty looking velvet). He would definitely have not survived the winter. Two nearly identical shots--two very different outcomes.

Bottom line: Under no circumstances would I recommend intentionally taking a broadside neck shot--you might kill them but the potential risks of wounding them and having a VERY slow death are too high.

Trial153

WKR
We are not talking frontals into the thoracic cavity.

Pure neck shot? Pure shit shot. A shot in the hind is way higher percentage. Stay away from them at all cost.

zpotter

FNG
I shoot hogs in the neck with my bow regularly while deer hunting. Kills em stone cold dead. Never shot a deer in the neck.

Jhaury7

Lil-Rokslider
Shot a muley last year at 400 with only the neck visible. I had a custom gun with custom reloads, a solid prone rest, and confidence with the gun and how much energy the 180 Berger transfers. Otherwise I wouldn’t have attempted the shot

jwb92868

Lil-Rokslider
Neck shots are lethal but I would stick with behind the shoulder. A deer can’t live without heart or lungs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
They are lethal when done right for sure. I’ve killed two bucks this way close range with my rifle. However, I don’t want to ever again because neck meat is some of my favorite and I hate to waste any.