Muzzleloader Bullet Diameter Help

Bubba94

Lil-Rokslider
I’m hoping someone can help me with this. I am new to muzzleloaders and just picked up a .50 cal Knight Ultralite that is Idaho legal. I have been shooting 400+ grain PowerBelts with 80-90 grains of Triple 7 powder and the grouping is terrible. I have been looking into other bullet options and noticed that they come in diameters of .500-.504. After scouring online forums for info, the general consensus was that Knight rifles are generally .500-.501 in their tolerance. I’m looking for some advice from a knowledgeable Rokslider as to which bullet diameter to choose based on this information, or if they have any other advice. Thanks for reading!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Bubba94

Bubba94

Lil-Rokslider
If the bullet maker(s) you're considering offer one, I would order a sample/sizing kit and try each diameter in your rifle to find the best fit.

That is a good idea, thank you.

If your looking at the “no excuses” conicals they sell sample kits for size testing.

My knight likes the .503’s as I recall.

You can pick up the Thor bullets sizing set. Even if you don't use that brand, its a solid reference point for your barrel.

Elknutty

FNG
I’m hoping someone can help me with this. I am new to muzzleloaders and just picked up a .50 cal Knight Ultralite that is Idaho legal. I have been shooting 400+ grain PowerBelts with 80-90 grains of Triple 7 powder and the grouping is terrible. I have been looking into other bullet options and noticed that they come in diameters of .500-.504. After scouring online forums for info, the general consensus was that Knight rifles are generally .500-.501 in their tolerance. I’m looking for some advice from a knowledgeable Rokslider as to which bullet diameter to choose based on this information, or if they have any other advice. Thanks for reading!

My knight likes 80grains of 777 with the 460gr No Excuses .503 Dia.
I get about a 3” group at 100 yards with open sights.

Wrench

WKR
My knight shoots the .503 no excuses 495gr bullets sub moa with 80grs 777 3f.

Adding quality sights was a hige improvement in my accuracy.

Screenshot_20221116-201043_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20221116-201053_Gallery.jpg

Legend

WKR

The sizing set that some companies sell is a good idea. However when you use it to select the best fit there is really no advice on what it should feel like. I spoke with one company at length and in the end you had to already be a very experienced muzzloader to sense the feel.

So I bought 3 packs of sizing bullets. Then I took a moderate load of 777 and shot 3 shot groups of all the sizes. I would say this approach worked OK. It gave me an idea of what shot better but it wasn't the answer.

After sizing kit experiment I decided to rule out the small and large diameter bullets. I did not want the bullet to come off the powder if I had a loaded round when walking...so no more small bullets. And conversly I didn't want a bullet that was hard to seat when hunting...so no more large bullets. Now I was down to .502 and .503.

Next I ordered .502 and .503 in 2 different weights (yep that is adding a variable and going backwards). Now it was simply a matter of time on the bench. This is straight up load development. I had functionally 4 bulletts and 2 powders (777 2F and 777 3F). After many trips to the range and a stupid number of hours tying different volumes of powder and bullett combinations...my go to round is 80grains by volume 777 2F, a lubed .54cal wad, and a .503 No Excuses 460grain bullet.

So after all of this what can it do....3 shot group in 3 inches at 200yds...open sight(Lee Shaver) Pedersoli 1:24 twist.

OP
Bubba94

Bubba94

Lil-Rokslider
The sizing set that some companies sell is a good idea. However when you use it to select the best fit there is really no advice on what it should feel like. I spoke with one company at length and in the end you had to already be a very experienced muzzloader to sense the feel.

So I bought 3 packs of sizing bullets. Then I took a moderate load of 777 and shot 3 shot groups of all the sizes. I would say this approach worked OK. It gave me an idea of what shot better but it wasn't the answer.

After sizing kit experiment I decided to rule out the small and large diameter bullets. I did not want the bullet to come off the powder if I had a loaded round when walking...so no more small bullets. And conversly I didn't want a bullet that was hard to seat when hunting...so no more large bullets. Now I was down to .502 and .503.

Next I ordered .502 and .503 in 2 different weights (yep that is adding a variable and going backwards). Now it was simply a matter of time on the bench. This is straight up load development. I had functionally 4 bulletts and 2 powders (777 2F and 777 3F). After many trips to the range and a stupid number of hours tying different volumes of powder and bullett combinations...my go to round is 80grains by volume 777 2F, a lubed .54cal wad, and a .503 No Excuses 460grain bullet.

So after all of this what can it do....3 shot group in 3 inches at 200yds...open sight(Lee Shaver) Pedersoli 1:24 twist.

Thank you so much! That is great information.