My 300 WSM AKA (THE PUG)

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Sorry for the slow feedback on this. I carried this rifle on several hunts but never shot anything with it. I did end up taking the can off and using a Ti Pro brake on it. I didn't like not spotting my own shots. It kicks likes a kitten now. I also swapped the stock to an XLR Element 4.0. I really love that chassis and now they inlet for a Bumblebee. The velocity for those asking above 2850 with the Berger 200x20.

I am going elk hunting with @Jim Carr at the end of the month so we should get some feedback on the 200x20.The-Pug.png

Last edited:

khuber84

WKR
Sorry for the slow feedback on this. I carried this rifle on several hunts but never shot anything with it. I did end up taking the can off and using a Ti Pro brake on it. I didn't like not spotting my own shots. It kicks likes a kitten now. I also swapped the stock to an XLR Element 4.0. I really love that chassis and now they inlet for a Bumblebee. The velocity for those asking above 2850 with the Berger 200x20 is 2850.

I am going elk hunting with @Jim Carr at the end of the month so we should get some feedback on the 200x20.View attachment 365504
How you liking that new zeiss?

Smenning

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry for the slow feedback on this. I carried this rifle on several hunts but never shot anything with it. I did end up taking the can off and using a Ti Pro brake on it. I didn't like not spotting my own shots. It kicks likes a kitten now. I also swapped the stock to an XLR Element 4.0. I really love that chassis and now they inlet for a Bumblebee. The velocity for those asking above 2850 with the Berger 200x20.

I am going elk hunting with @Jim Carr at the end of the month so we should get some feedback on the 200x20.View attachment 365504
What magazines are you running in the XLR for the 300WSM? Any COAL issues? Thanks

Wrench

WKR
I just killed one a couple weeks ago myself. Depredation hunts are common this time of year.

Conrad

FNG

Are you getting 2850+ with R26 or another powder? I keep debating long action vs short action 300 wsm. Have 22" 1:9 proof, R26, and 200.20x's and 215's.

madcalfe

WKR
Are you getting 2850+ with R26 or another powder? I keep debating long action vs short action 300 wsm. Have 22" 1:9 proof, R26, and 200.20x's and 215's.
Id go XM action if i were to build another. I built a custom 300wsm with a 20" proof before this thread came out on a defiance anti SA your gonna be limited to a coal of 2.95 with aics mag 2.98 with hawkins hunter mags, or a run a wyatts entended box mag and reach 3.000 i believe but some guys have feeding issues.
and i think hes using 7828ssc

Conrad

FNG
I like the concept of XM actions, and my Tubb ATR rifle is technically a medium length action. However, if I can run WSM from a long action, then it is a lot more versatile if I want to add long action cartridges/barrels down the line. I would only be running detachable mags so I'd like to think I can tune them up for feeding. Thoughts?

I already have a BH TL3 so if I can get 2900 with a 200.20x seated deep out of a 22" barrel, it makes me think...

Thanks!

Jimbee

WKR
Is it worth chopping down and threading a factory Tikka 300wsm with a 11 twist, or should I just order a short, faster twist barrel?

ElPollo

WKR
I just went through this and it depends on your can and your barrel. My can was a 5/8 thread. You can get a 9/16 thread from that barrel if you shorten it, but no bigger. You could do that and use an adapter for a 5/8 thread. I was looking at about $200 locally to cut and thread, plus the adapter. The barrel was also oddly picky on bullets, so I went the new barrel route. I ordered a 20” factory contour barrel with a 1-9” twist and a flare at the muzzle to give me enough meat for the 5/8 thread and a good shoulder.

slowelk

WKR
I just went through this and it depends on your can and your barrel. My can was a 5/8 thread. You can get a 9/16 thread from that barrel if you shorten it, but no bigger. You could do that and use an adapter for a 5/8 thread. I was looking at about $200 locally to cut and thread, plus the adapter. The barrel was also oddly picky on bullets, so I went the new barrel route. I ordered a 20” factory contour barrel with a 1-9” twist and a flare at the muzzle to give me enough meat for the 5/8 thread and a good shoulder.

Who did you order that barrel from?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Is it worth chopping down and threading a factory Tikka 300wsm with a 11 twist, or should I just order a short, faster twist barrel?
I'd get a new barrel. Tikka barrels are great shooters with lighter bullets, but slower than other barrels. Get the barrel you want, throated for what you want to shoot out of it. You'll have a ton more options that way.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'd get a new barrel. Tikka barrels are great shooters with lighter bullets, but slower than other barrels. Get the barrel you want, throated for what you want to shoot out of it. You'll have a ton more options that way.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I haven't seen the velocity being as much of an issue with handloading? Seems they may just not build pressure as fast.

Depending on what bullet you want to shoot an 11 twist might be ok. Berger says a 200.20x would be fully stable in an 11 twist at 4k' elevation and 2800 fps. That's a pretty sleek bullet, better BC than a 210 vld.

If I wasn't dead set on shooting a 215, I'd give 200.20x a whirl in the factory barrel and see how it does before dumping $ on a new tube.

BAKPAKR

WKR
I haven't seen the velocity being as much of an issue with handloading? Seems they may just not build pressure as fast.

Depending on what bullet you want to shoot an 11 twist might be ok. Berger says a 200.20x would be fully stable in an 11 twist at 4k' elevation and 2800 fps. That's a pretty sleek bullet, better BC than a 210 vld.

If I wasn't dead set on shooting a 215, I'd give 200.20x a whirl in the factory barrel and see how it does before dumping $ on a new tube.
If I can find a left hand SS Tikka T3X in 300 WSM, the 200.20X is the first bullet I am going to try.

ElPollo

WKR
I try not to make assumptions about barrels until I try them. Sometimes you get surprised in good or not so good ways. My 1:11 Tikka didn’t like lighter bullets and pretty much only liked 200 gr ELDX. I decided to swap it to both make it fit my can and maybe make it less picky.