My GSP puppy dies at a Kennel

ndbuck09

WKR
A GSP pup is going to be around the $1500+ mark out here in Idaho. If it's cheaper, then you should be pretty skeptical on the breeding program/breeder because they're just trying to turn out volume and not advance the breed.

Sorry for your loss! That’s a tough one man.
A buddy had his lab puppy die while following us on the road at his ranch when we were kids. Worst birthday ever.
Looked back and the dog was laying dead in the road. It was a heart problem.
I would get the necropsy and find out what happened before pursuing anything else.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
One of my GSP did this. He was 3 yrs old. Think his heart gave out, dog would run and run and run. Had tracks all over the property, probably run 20 or 30 miles every day hours on end. One day he just ran up to me and tipped over dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

92xj

WKR
This happened days ago and you are still days out from coming home?
Did you ask what they are currently doing with the dog? Can your vet go pick up the dog for you?
I've never been in this situation but I'm curious what they do with the dog for multiple days.

mcr-85

WKR
I'm in the shit happens camp. It is a rough deal and not knowing why the pup died is hard. Personally I wouldn't spend the money to find out what happened. I'd cut my losses. I also wouldn't spend money to pursue legal action against someone that could very well be telling the truth, more than likely is telling the truth if he had good references. I'd be on the lookout for a new pup. Puppies help with the heartache of loss for your wife and kids.

I ran my boys dog over when she was 7 months old. She was an awesome dog, very loyal to my 3 year old boy. They were best buddies. My wife and I gave her to him for Christmas and I ran her over the end of May. It sucked bad, especially having my boy with me when I ran her over. It was a hard couple of days but I found him a new pup within a week and she's been awesome as well. The new dog has a complete different personality than the one I ran over but my boy loves her just as much.

ndbuck09

WKR
Ya dude Dos Perros, I was just pointing out that there's a larger investment than what you were trying to postulate. My GSP is over 13 now and I just love these dogs. So sorry for your loss OP. I'd definitely want to know for sure what the COD was.

Sorry for the loss of your family member.

Did you have to sign some papers before boarding? I'm sure there is some language in there that would protect them.

JG358

WKR
Personally, I'd get a necropsy to see what COD was. I would do it mostly because it would eat at me not knowing. Sorry you lost your pup.

Michael54

WKR
A GSP pup is going to be around the $1500+ mark out here in Idaho. If it's cheaper, then you should be pretty skeptical on the breeding program/breeder because they're just trying to turn out volume and not advance the breed.
I spent $1000 on a registered deutsch kurzhar gsp pup here in pennsylvania.

Dos Perros has a $600 hookup off Craigslist in Kansas City if you're interested in a bang for you buck dog.

OR Bull

FNG
This is a tragic story. Sorry for your loss. I hope you get to the bottom of what happened and get things straightened out. I think you took a great approach by stepping back. That would've been difficult for me to do.

KurtR

WKR
I would want to know what happened. I also would have been on my way home as soon as i found out my family would have also insisted on it. How to proceed once you know for sure what happened is a tough call dont know that suing would help any thing. You would think the kennel would also want to know so their name is cleared.

You will have to pay for a necropsy and then an attorney if something is found that points to neglect. Plain and simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

manitou1

WKR
We had a (paid $1000.00) puppy for ten days last year. Clean bill of health, happy and lively. She was running to my wife, yelped once and dropped dead. Had a thin spot in her heart muscle, which ruptured while she was running. She had been active and running prior to this, but this one got here. It is haunting to lose a baby pup like that. I heard my wife screaming outside and went to investigate to see my wife crying and administering CPR to the pup.
I write this to push the point that the kennel MAY be perfectly innocent and this occurance may have been completely out of their control.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
The thing with puppies is, most aren't worth anything, and some are worth a lot (to the right person), but you can't tell which is which when you buy them.
IMHO, breeding is absolutely critical if you want a healthy, naturally inclined, pup. I research things, probably to much, before I jump in. The breeder and their dogs are what I personally base the value of the pup on. Some breeds are rarer and some breeders really stand out.

This book helps explain it way better than I can: https://amzn.to/34MoAKT

Being a novice hunter, with minimal dog training skills, my pup scored a NAVHDA 112 Prize 1.
https://www.navhda.org/natural-ability-test/
I think his intentional breeding made all the difference. He was bred to be a versatile hunting dog by hunters and his "family" are hardcore hunters. I feel lucky to say that his faults are based on my training skills and not on him. Its impressive to see him in the field the few times I have been blessed to watch a real dog trainer work him.

Having had one other dog (GSP), and having been around a few hunting dogs, its amazing how helpful natural inclination (through selective breeding) is. I personally would never buy a working / hunting dog at a parking lot or through an add. For me its a referral based business, or one you find through research and interviews. For me its to much of a gamble.

With that said, some folks get some amazing dogs with little to no planned breeding program. I am not that lucky, so I want all the advantages I can get. : )

The amount of time and effort I put into getting my pup far exceeded the actual purchase price. I'd be pretty frustrated and would want answers. I am pretty confident my breeder would be right behind me demanding answers as well. Tough scenario all around...

Mike7

WKR
IMHO, breeding is absolutely critical if you want a healthy, naturally inclined, pup. I research things, probably to much, before I jump in. The breeder and their dogs are what I personally base the value of the pup on. Some breeds are rarer and some breeders really stand out.

This book helps explain it way better than I can: https://amzn.to/34MoAKT

Being a novice hunter, with minimal dog training skills, my pup scored a NAVHDA 112 Prize 1.
https://www.navhda.org/natural-ability-test/
I think his intentional breeding made all the difference. He was bred to be a versatile hunting dog by hunters and his "family" are hardcore hunters. I feel lucky to say that his faults are based on my training skills and not on him. Its impressive to see him in the field the few times I have been blessed to watch a real dog trainer work him.

Having had one other dog (GSP), and having been around a few hunting dogs, its amazing how helpful natural inclination (through selective breeding) is. I personally would never buy a working / hunting dog at a parking lot or through an add. For me its a referral based business, or one you find through research and interviews. For me its to much of a gamble.

With that said, some folks get some amazing dogs with little to no planned breeding program. I am not that lucky, so I want all the advantages I can get. : )

The amount of time and effort I put into getting my pup far exceeded the actual purchase price. I'd be pretty frustrated and would want answers. I am pretty confident my breeder would be right behind me demanding answers as well. Tough scenario all around...

I would agree with this, except also feel like meeting the pup's parents, especially in the field, may help inform your decision as well in choosing a pup.