My new girl and our journey...

Meet Odina (Cherokee for "Mountain"), my new mountain girlfriend. She's young (3.5yo) and fresh, so I'll start training from scratch, but she was great first time in the round pen and in our initial groundwork sessions, picking things up quick.

We will see how the spring and summer goes, for how quickly we get her under saddle and in the mountains, but really happy to have an equine in my life again.

If anyone's close to the Bitterroot and would enjoy some horseback scouting, drop me a note.

Cheers,

S

image000005.jpg

IMG_6776.jpeg

Hondo64d

Lil-Rokslider
Have a good friend who was a ranch foreman/cowboy before he went in the Army. He told me he much preferred to work Cattle on a mule as opposed to a horse because the mules were so much more predictable.

John

OP
L
You have half the battle won just by being a Molly instead of a John!!
Funny, as I hadn't even thought of it when I was actually looking initially for a John, since I preferred a gelding to a mare with horses. That was, until my mule packing friend said he feels Molly's are way more loyal.

What differences do you see between the two?

Last edited:

wyosteve

WKR
I've had 3 Mollys and 3 johns over the past 30+ years. The johns tended to be more hard headed and temperamental. They also took longer to train/settle down. The Mollys just do their job without issues. I agree with you on horses though, I prefer geldings. Funny thing is, an outfitter friend of mine prefers mares for his riding horse leading a pack string and for hunting. I've only had one mare and she was a good horse, but was older. Guess it's different strokes for different folks! Lol

Procision Arms

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Always interesting to see what people prefer, definitely a personal preference. On the track, fillies/mares are definitely tougher to be around and train, but a good one is usually a more profitable horse to have in the barn. I’ve only had one Molly, and I couldn’t tell much between her and the 3 johns I’ve had, except maybe she warmed up to people a little faster.

I have a friend who sells high-end horses and mules at auctions. He says he sees no difference in selling mollys/johns, but all but refuses to take a mare. He feels that grade mares sell for at least 50% less than a comparable gelding.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Always interesting to see what people prefer, definitely a personal preference. On the track, fillies/mares are definitely tougher to be around and train, but a good one is usually a more profitable horse to have in the barn. I’ve only had one Molly, and I couldn’t tell much between her and the 3 johns I’ve had, except maybe she warmed up to people a little faster.

I have a friend who sells high-end horses and mules at auctions. He says he sees no difference in selling mollys/johns, but all but refuses to take a mare. He feels that grade mares sell for at least 50% less than a comparable gelding.
What discipline for these “high end” horses

CCooper

WKR
Is this what one would consider a “fancy” mule due to the white “socks” near the feet? Disclaimer: I know nothing about mules, but they intrigue me.

GoatPackr

WKR
My dad is looking for a place around Stevensville. He grew up hunting with horses and mules and would like to get a saddle mule for exploring the Bitterroot when he gets settled.
He spends a lot of time in the area helping his buddy with a fence building company.

Kris

OP
L
My dad is looking for a place around Stevensville. He grew up hunting with horses and mules and would like to get a saddle mule for exploring the Bitterroot when he gets settled.
He spends a lot of time in the area helping his buddy with a fence building company.

Kris
Hi Kris,

Cool, feel free to have him shoot me a message if he'd like to connect. I've also been searching for other mules so might have a line on options for him.

Cheers,

s

OP
L
Is this what one would consider a “fancy” mule due to the white “socks” near the feet?
I personally have no idea also of what classifies a mule as "fancy" or not. Number 1 priority for me was that she's sweet and listens well, but certainly a nice bonus that she's good lookin' too.