My new girl and our journey...

OP
L
Nice looking mule, I assume she came from out east?
Kind of, while I have to get them in the Sierra Foothills, this girl was originally bought as a weanling from Missouri by someone who was starting a mule breeding program. She bought the Mammoth Jack Father as well as some half draft mares from her Amish connection there.

If the two Belgian half draft mares are confirmed as pregnant, I'll be adding them to the family too. Love the idea of a 1/4 draft mule for the mountains, so will keep one foal and sell the other.

If anyone is interested, she has 2 other Percheron/Dale mares available who are supposed to be pregnant by the same mammoth jack.

Hopefully my two new prego Belgian half draft mares:
image000003.jpg
image000004.jpg

Mammoth Jack Father
123_1.jpeg

OP
L
Update:
She had a bit of a rough transition when she first got here, as she went from being super sweet to not letting me even touch her. It probably turned out for the better, as I've ratcheted down the groundwork and "training" schedule and focused instead on connecting with and building a relationship with her. Seems to be paying off very well.

After about a month I could touch her and then a couple more weeks to be able to halter her in a good way, leaning in and feeling comfortable. Groundwork followed, which she picked up really well with a soft touch. She's still a bit stiff in rolling her hind quarters, but really good in so many ways.

Yesterday was the first time I introduced her to the saddle and thankfully she took it like a champ. She didn't flinch when I was holding it next to her and when I started throwing it up on her back then right off again, she was very calm, just walking a few steps but no drama. After a dozen or two time throwing it up, I could leave it on her, just sitting there. Didn't have a cinch yet, so will cinch it up next time.

Very proud of her and my lesson is learning how important building a good, trusting relationship with the animal is. onwards...

IMG_9048.jpeg

IMG_9047.jpeg

Maverick1

WKR
Update:
She had a bit of a rough transition when she first got here, as she went from being super sweet to not letting me even touch her. It probably turned out for the better, as I've ratcheted down the groundwork and "training" schedule and focused instead on connecting with and building a relationship with her. Seems to be paying off very well.

After about a month I could touch her and then a couple more weeks to be able to halter her in a good way, leaning in and feeling comfortable. Groundwork followed, which she picked up really well with a soft touch. She's still a bit stiff in rolling her hind quarters, but really good in so many ways.

Yesterday was the first time I introduced her to the saddle and thankfully she took it like a champ. She didn't flinch when I was holding it next to her and when I started throwing it up on her back then right off again, she was very calm, just walking a few steps but no drama. After a dozen or two time throwing it up, I could leave it on her, just sitting there. Didn't have a cinch yet, so will cinch it up next time.

Very proud of her and my lesson is learning how important building a good, trusting relationship with the animal is. onwards...

View attachment 562034

View attachment 562036
Great update, good to hear things are progressing. And that’s a nice selfie. But I gotta ask Odina - “Why the long face?”

OP
L
Great update, good to hear things are progressing. And that’s a nice selfie. But I gotta ask Odina - “Why the long face?”
She mostly stands still, but wouldn't bet that she LOVES the saddle...yet. Sometimes I do wonder just what she likes and what she is simply putting up with.

Great update . I've got to agree, uilding a trusting relationship is exceptionally important in my book, and has a plethora of benefits. Excellent job on backing off and re adjusting to a slower pace.

OP
L
More connection and groundwork with the saddle, plus started putting weight on her. Ended up this day with my gf in the saddle and me leading Odina.

She did mostly great. Had one small bucking burst when I was putting weight on her, of about 15 ft then calmed right down and we were able to get right back to the program. Groundwork I'm feeling good, but so darn rusty for riding since it's been a few years since owning my quarter horse, that I'm seriously leaning towards sending her to a professional for at least 30 days.

If I was 20 years younger it would be awesome to do it all myself, but it's still great building a connection through groundwork then I'm sure I'll be working a lot on refining details when she gets back from the colt starter.

s

IMG_9365.jpg
IMG_9369.jpg

OP
L
Well, we got the first 4 trail rides in without any big drama, thank goodness.

The trainer who started her busted up his knee working cows, so only got in about 12 rides, but that was enough to put enough of a foundation for me to take over. At 53 and rusty in the saddle after a few years off I didn't feel the confidence to start her.

We chose mostly open trails so I could turn her in soft, small circles as needed but only had to do it a few times. 2 small spooks with the first being something in the bushes and was just about a 5-7 step run-off before she relaxed into circles. Next was last night when I was adjusting my jacket just a little. She just got edgy and went into a fast trot, but slowed without big drama. For the rest of the ride I simply moved my jacket some, flapped it a little, etc. with her reaction going from slow trot, to mild energy increase to much more calm.

Just being on the trails she's clearly absorbing so much new information and experiences. Luckily, my gf and her horses are super solid so they provide a good example for her going over bridges, steeper uphill/downhills, loading in trailer, etc..

I think carrying my big self is some real work for her, as I'm about 215lbs plus tack, so think I'll keep the distances 4-6 miles until her 4 1/4yo muscles and body get used to it.

Set last year's buck hide next to her water and feed bucket so she's gotten used to the smell and presence. Not sure if she'll be in shape enough yet to put on the miles needed to get into some hunting country this rifle season, but looking forward to next year for sure!

There are definitely the daily ups and downs of training/learning opportunities for both of us, but in general she's going through them all real well.

Screen Shot 2023-10-16 at 8.52.57 AM.jpeg

IMG_0098.jpeg