Mystery Ranch Marshall vs Metcalf

Jnevils21

FNG
Interested if anyone can help me decide which pack will better suit my needs. I'll be going on a 7-10 day archery elk hunt in Colorado this September. Will be hunting with at least one other person so we should be able to split gear to help conserve some room. I'm leaning towards the Marshall right now thinking that it could be cinched down and used as a day pack but also have plenty room on these types of hunts. Some what concerned that it may be too big and cumbersome to function well in a day pack scenario. The Metcalf is obviously more geared towards a shorter hunt with less gear but I question whether it would be able to accommodate everything needed on a week plus trip. I've also read that alot of hunters just load extra gear in a dry bag and store it on the load shelf of the Metcalf for longer trips. They both seem like great packs but I really only have the funds for 1 pack at this point in time. Just curious to hear of any personal experience with either of the bags and wondering which would be the better more versatile option. I realize that it's probably a very subjective topic but would love to hear it. Thanks in advance for any help.

OP
J

Jnevils21

FNG
Wow that does seem like a good option as well. I forgot to say before I found a sale on the other 2 packs going for 25% off so that's another thing to consider. Could currently get the Marshall for $100 less than Beartooth and Metcalf for $120 less.

With the overload shelf on the Metcalf I dont see why a guy couldn't do the trip your planning easily. Get a dry bag and put all your food in it, load it on that shelf, put your sleep system and gear in the bag/lid and your good to go.
As someone else mentioned, the new system from mystery ranch is coming sometime around March. I personally would just wait and get the the beartooth 80. Its $25 more for about another 900ci. Plenty of room in either though imo. The beartooth seems to have better organization as far as internal pockets go, and easier access with the bags "duffel style opening.
Also, If your hearts not set on the MR. Packs check out kifaru's muskeg. The medium bag is 5000ci with a plethora of external pocket capabilities. I havent personally used one but I'm sure it doesn't disappoint. I'm not gonna go into its details but its worth doing some homework on and also has the meat shelf for extra storage/meat packing ability.

Short answer- Wait and get the beartooth 80 or look into kifaru. Hope this helps a little. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Another option is the Terraframe 80. It’s larger than the Metcalf with the load shelf and the nicer storage layout of the Marshall. It also goes for $450 and right now Moose Jaw has a deal that 30% will go towards your next purchase from them. This is how I saved several hundred dollars this year gearing up for a Colorado trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I worked through the same situation last year, I ended up going with the Marshall and was happy with it (bag). I would personally wait for the new bags/frame/belt and check them out. I really like MR but I couldn't make the waist belt work for me with heavy loads so I switched to Kifaru - got a used Kifaru frame/suspension and bought a bag when they were in the Rhino Den for about the same amount as a MR setup. Good luck with whatever you decide - you can't go wrong either way.

AZ Ron

Lil-Rokslider
A buddy and I both did a 9-10 day early season archery deer hunt (in 2013) using our Metcalfs. We shared gear (tent/stove/etc) and had enough room in our bags. The metcalf compresses down extremely well for using as a day pack and is my goto bag for gear intensive day hunts and multi-day hunts.
2013 CO Archery Deer 019.JPG

i have both. i liked the metcalf except for one thing. access to the inside of the pack was difficult. I like the marshall but it is huge. i really like the looks of the new beartooth. it solves some problems that I had with both of those packs. I Still very much like both my packs and will continue to use them but kind of looking at upgrading to that new pack also.

THBZN

Lil-Rokslider
Based on your hunt's duration, I would lean toward the Beartooth. Being in between the Metcalf and Marshall from a volume standpoint, you will appreciate the additional size. Also, the lid is detachable, so once you get to camp, or if you head out on a shorter hunt throughout the season, you are able to cinch down the bag once you unload the big stuff -- food bag, shelter, sleeping pad/bag, etc. The 270° duffel bag style opening is sweet too -- you can access from the top, side, bottom or fully open it for total access. Pretty slick. Just my two cents.

TexAg09

FNG
I don't have any experience with the Metcalf, but I went on a 7 day trip in Utah this season with my Marshall. The Marshall worked fine for the fully loaded hike in/out, and was serviceable on day hunts in between. I just bought it on a screamin deal last year, but I wish I would have waited for the Beertooth. I didn't know they were going to come out with it though.

Another option is the Terraframe 80. It’s larger than the Metcalf with the load shelf and the nicer storage layout of the Marshall. It also goes for $450 and right now Moose Jaw has a deal that 30% will go towards your next purchase from them. This is how I saved several hundred dollars this year gearing up for a Colorado trip.

How do you like it? I am having trouble deciding between that and one of the hunting packs like the metcalf, Marshall, or Beartooth. Is the terraframe the way to go?

TravisIN

WKR
I did seven days in September in Colorado in a metcalf. Not a lot of extra room but wasn’t over flowing. I over packed on food and had some unnecessary things and redundancies. anker solar charger, two battery packs, steripen and a filter system and drops, thermal bottoms, primes lantern with extra iso canister, a bulky ass jetboil and a few other things . Plus I was running a cheap synthetic bag so it was pretty bulky and took up a lot of room. I thought the metcalf was the perfect size. If I ever decide to start packing optics and tripod I would probably step up to the beartooth if the offer a bag only option

Last edited:
How do you like it? I am having trouble deciding between that and one of the hunting packs like the metcalf, Marshall, or Beartooth. Is the terraframe the way to go?

I had contacted MR when I was researching packs and they suggested it to me. It was so new I couldn’t find any reviews and ended up buying their Glacier pack and adding a Kifaru Grabit and worked out great! A big part of my reasoning was the Glacier was virtually the same size as the Metcalf but about 200 cheaper and over 100 cheaper on sale than the Terraframe and I was gearing up for two so the savings bought my son his sleeping bag and ground pad. I couldn’t be more happy with my choice either so it wasn’t a big compromise. I trained with up to 75 pounds on 5 mile rucks. I have carried my stand and ladders on the grabit to hang at the beginning of the season and it has made my life much easier as well as putting corn in it for my trail cameras. Based upon my experience with the Glacier and after talking with the company I wouldn’t hesitate to buy the Terraframe 80. It seems to me to be a better laid out pack than the Metcalf, same weight capacity and lighter . As long as you are ok with black only and it seems like a great choice to me
a63ec2c7cf23ea94418e64917e2aff3f.jpg

Last edited:
As an fyi also I spoke to MR prior to my last purchase about the terraframe. I believe that it was also built to 150# specs which is heavier than many of their other mountain packs and mirrors their hunting line. I can't for the life of me figure out why they have a terraframe and a guidelight frame (albeit they look the same). If I was looking for one pack, I'd probably be considering the terraframe but (hopefully) as MR moves to selling bag only options I went with the GL. I do believe you could probably swap some buckles and make some of their hunting bags fit on a terraframe and vice versa but don't know that for sure.

Tman24

Lil-Rokslider
As an fyi also I spoke to MR prior to my last purchase about the terraframe. I believe that it was also built to 150# specs which is heavier than many of their other mountain packs and mirrors their hunting line. I can't for the life of me figure out why they have a terraframe and a guidelight frame (albeit they look the same). If I was looking for one pack, I'd probably be considering the terraframe but (hopefully) as MR moves to selling bag only options I went with the GL. I do believe you could probably swap some buckles and make some of their hunting bags fit on a terraframe and vice versa but don't know that for sure.

Might want to get your MR bag only now. The new packs aren’t easily compatible with the old GL or NICE frame . In 2020 all the packs will use the new GLMT frame

JD619er

WKR
Might want to get your MR bag only now. The new packs aren’t easily compatible with the old GL or NICE frame . In 2020 all the packs will use the new GLMT frame

They are easily compatible. Built to the exact same specs except a new style of buckle. Mystery ranch told me the warranty department will send out new buckles for old bags if you just call them. Slide the old buckles off, the new ones on and wham....easily compatible.

Tman24

Lil-Rokslider
They are easily compatible. Built to the exact same specs except a new style of buckle. Mystery ranch told me the warranty department will send out new buckles for old bags if you just call them. Slide the old buckles off, the new ones on and wham....easily compatible.

We’ll see, how it plays out since no one has gotten to try it yet. Especially switching between new bags and old bags.
Did they say how much they’ll charge for the buckles? I’d rather have old buckels sent that I can put on the new bag, than change out buckles on my Nice Frame, Metcalf, GL Frame, Marshall. For what MR charges now for buckles, it can add up.

To the OP, I love my Nice Frame Metcalf.