N

Hey guys I posted this as a reply to a thread earlier. So technically this is my second post. I'm trying to figure this out how Ebikes are effected by Idaho's motor vehicle hunting rule.. I have look at the statute on how the state defines Ebikes. Idaho recently changed their definition here are the relevant current statutes.
  • E-bikes are classified as "electric bicycles". The same rules of the road apply to both e-bikes and human-powered bicycles
  • E-bikes are not subject to the registration, licensing, or insurance requirements that apply to motor vehicles.

§ 49-725. Rights and duties of electric-assisted bicycles
Except as otherwise provided in this title, an electric-assisted bicycle shall be subject to all the safety requirements of a bicycle. A rider of an electric-assisted bicycle shall be afforded all the rights and privileges and be subject to all of the duties and safety requirements as the rider of a bicycle. Subject to the provisions in this chapter, electric-assisted bicycles may be ridden where bicycles are permitted to travel.

§ 49-728. Path use by electric-assisted bicycles
Electric-assisted bicycles may be used in places where bicycles are permitted to travel including but not limited to multiuse paths.

My impression is that based on this, Ebikes would not be considered a "motorized vehicle" and thus could be used in a unit with a motorized hunting rule. i do know there is some nuance here and it doesn't mean you can ride them wherever. The US forest service still considers the motorized so you could only use them on trails open to motorized traffic.

I'm still waiting to get confirmation on this from IDFG but I'm open to comments and input.