National red flag law

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you should be allowed to fire at will without hearing protection if that’s what floats your boat. I wear earplugs 🤣

Couldn’t resist that… sorry.

I’m against.

I do not want the second amendment altered and I don’t want more gun laws. That’s part of why I live where I live. Wyoming has some of the least restrictive gun laws of all the states. I have a concealed carry permit, I don’t need one here but I travel on occasion. I own an M1 Garand, three AR-15’s, several high capacity magazine pistols and various hunting rifles, shotguns and a couple of big honkin revolvers. Being against gun violence and mass shootings doesn't make a person anti 2A. Having some leftist views doesn’t make a person anti 2A.
I am all about protecting children, but we have very different views on how to do that. This discussion is going no where and fast, so i am going to go to bed tonight. When the nation starts worrying more about everyday gun violence vs once every couple of year gun violence then maybe we can actually start talking. Until then, these sad situations are nothing more than political fodder for both sides to get all fired up about and still do nothing about.

Which is the biggest share? Which is the most? My answer is the same…very different from your answer likely.
“Which is the most” is not the same as “most of something”. I am being precise with my language. I still think you are really focusing on something outside of the point. When you are ready to accept that I admitted you were right about the portion of budget spent on defense we can talk about the point I was making.

It is nonsensical to say “your defense is up to you” and “don’t rely on the government to protect you”; that is when 16% of your tax dollars go directly to paying someone else for you protection. We fund the most powerful military on the planet. We should be able to protect our kids in school.

Last edited:
Sorry i lied, one more post then off to bed, because i was looking up when the spending shifted. the break point was about 20 years ago when SS and healthcare started equaling and surpassing the defense spending. Since then defense has been third to fourth with other entitlement spending being right there with defense. So its been about 20 years give or take.

Regarding your comment about the govt protecting you, and how it isnt our job to protect ourselves, just think for a second if a home intruder came into your house and threatened your family….are the cops going to protect yoh? The military? Or you?

Another example, lets say you are out and someone comes up and tries to jack your car or mug you (or whatever), are the cops gonna protect you? Is the military gonna save you? Or is it up to you?

The bottom line is the military is there to protect the country. If war broke out in the US and the military needed to make some decisions, save the country and kill some citizens or save all the citizens but lose the country, which do you think it chooses?

I say that as a veteran who s a solid supoirter of the military and LE, but you have to rememver where you are on the food chain. The US constituion makes it very clear the govt can form a military. That is for the protection of the govt and its entities. Your state consitution or whatever WY has states the state can form a LE agency, and the city/county ordinances state they can form a local PD/county sheriff for the city and county. Those are not there to protect you, they ae there to provide for the municipalities. Thank God we have the US Bill of Rights that allows the CITIZENS the right to bear arms, so we can protect ourselves. That is the only explicitly personal protection we are offered in the US.

It just happens that some of us regard that as pretty important and do not want anything to fetter with it nor do we want the laws regarding it to he placed in the hands of people who just flat out call us domestic terrorists.

Remember, when seconds count, police are minutes away. The only thing there to protect you in those seconds is you.

With that, good night.

Regarding your comment about the govt protecting you, and how it isnt our job to protect ourselves, just think for a second if a home intruder came into your house and threatened your family….are the cops going to protect yoh? The military? Or you?
First and foremost, thanks for your service. USMC 0311 here. Actually my MOS was 0313 as I went to LAV school but my platoon was short one scout so I volunteered to take an 0311 role and served in that capacity for most of my time in the FMF. My favorite flavor of crayon is olive drab.

I never said “it isn’t our job to protect ourselves”. My point was that we the all rely on the government for protection from things we wouldn’t stand a chance against. Naturally I’d be the first to respond to a home invasion, mugger etc. That doesn’t help the school situation. I can’t go patrol the school.

It irks me to no end that we pay good money for the police and they have no duty to protect.

I think you are talking mostly about things that are not germane to the thread or conversation.

A home invader is not a school shooter. A mugger is not a school shooter. A school shooter is something I can’t personally, with my own hands, do anything about when it happens. We pay lots of money in the name of defense and safety. It wouldn’t be crazy to expect our government to do something meaningful to keep our kids safe while they are in school.

Last edited:

norcan

FNG
I never said “it isn’t our job to protect ourselves”. My point was we the all rely on the government for protection from things we wouldn’t stand a chance against. Naturally I’d be the first to respond to a home invasion. It irks me to no end that we pay good money for the police and they have no duty to protect.
Cops protect the interests of capital, and that’s it.

Cops protect the interests of capital, and that’s it.
If you haven’t, you should check out “Understanding Power” by Noam Chomsky. Another read you might like is “A Peoples History of the United States” by Howard Zinn.

Last edited:
First and foremost, thanks for your service. USMC 0311 here. Actually my MOS was 0313 as I went to LAV school but my platoon was short one scout so I volunteered to take an 0311 role and served in that capacity for most of my time in the FMF. My favorite flavor of crayon is olive drab.

I never said “it isn’t our job to protect ourselves”. My point was that we the all rely on the government for protection from things we wouldn’t stand a chance against. Naturally I’d be the first to respond to a home invasion, mugger etc. That doesn’t help the school situation. I can’t go patrol the school.

It irks me to no end that we pay good money for the police and they have no duty to protect.

I think you are talking mostly about things that are not germane to the thread or conversation.

A home invader is not a school shooter. A mugger is not a school shooter. A school shooter is something I can’t personally, with my own hands, do anything about when it happens. We pay lots of money in the name of defense and safety. It wouldn’t be crazy to expect our government to do something meaningful to keep our kids safe while they are in school.
Ok we are getting somewhere, w both agree that the cops and the military, which we both pay good tax dollars for, are not the answer to protectijg us or protecting against a school shooter.

I firmly believe we need to do something to protect students and teachers, there is no way these school shooting should he happening, but i am also all about fixes that will help and not about things that wont help at all, and we all know red flag laws will do nothing. We could have absolute gun control and these whackos will find a way to hurt people. They are after fame, retribution, and societal payback, and many of them have planned these attacks for months to years, so take away the guns, they will find something else.

So, what would work? Maybe the govt could take some of the 2 trillion it soent on covid relief and the other 2 trillion on “stimulus packages” which we know went to vast majority pork and election buy-off, and harden schools, install controlled entrances with ballistic glass so shooters just cant shoot thru. Install ballistic closets that student and teachers can hide in during active shooters, bomb theeats, tornados, and other traumatic events and only the certain people have the keys. I also think there should be zero media coverage of at least the perp for these things, when someone becomes lionized in history that is something a small part of the population will try to emulate.

I love it when politicians complain its time to do something, and then vote in trillions of dollars of crapola spending and dont actually do anything….this isnt the first school mass casualty event, wont he the last, so we as voters should remember these politicians have had their time to do something common sense that would work., but none have because it is a vote divider issue. Issues that divide the populace (gun control, abortion, etc) are great esp in election years because they stir and rally a voting block, and it is also why some people believe these types of things are set up by the govt for that exact reason (i am not going there)

And thank you for your service too

Last edited:
@Texasbuckeye

What branch and MOS?
Where were you stationed and deployed?

Maybe we’ve been to some of the same places.

I agree that schools should be hardened. I also believe that policing should be changed and there must be a duty to protect. Otherwise I’d rather keep my money. It disgusts me that those cops stood around outside. Finally, if someone is making threats of violence online or elsewhere their guns should be taken away. That shouldn’t be such a hard thing to accept. If a person is putting others at risk by repeatedly driving drunk they shouldn’t be allowed to drive. It’s not much different.

Last edited:
I was medical in the USAF, 2001-2009. Deployed to Iraq in from may to sept 2008 and was at Balad Air base as part of the head and neck surgical team.

I doubt our paths crossed at all, but if you ever went to see the ophthalmologst in balad in iraq during those times, you would have seen me.

In most states there are quite a few laws in place that allow trained professionals to take away guns or even go as far as force institutionalization for someone who has credible threats against themself or someone else. These laws are incredibly difficult to enforce mainly because who is a credible threat vs who just says stupid stuff in times of weakness or stress. Credible threats are much more uncommon than one wants to make them out to be, but the reality is these school massacres are much less common than gun violence and mass shootings in general. Yes, when looking back it is easy to see with clarity, but in the moment, most of these people run a fine line between sane and insane, but they know how to game the system to prevent being sent to jail, hospital etc. If you have never experienced anyone personally with a true mental illness they can be on a huge spectrum of off the wall bonkers to being very normal.

Last edited:

REVEALED: Female online gamer reported fellow player - now suspected to be Salvador Ramos - who threatened to 'shoot up a school with an AR-15' to the FBI just hours before Uvalde elementary school massacre​

REVEALED: Uvalde school district was part of AI program that rooted out potential mass killers and monitored social media for threats and potential shooters​

Yeah. It’s kinda scary to engage with people you don’t agree with. Enjoy your echo chamber.

👋
Not scary at all dude, just tedious...and what I would imagine it would be like arguing with Joy Behar on the View. I only chimed in because all us Ultra MAGA right wingers look the same, right?
Maybe you should go get laid (with a woman) this evening & lighten up a little

Wags

WKR
Not scary at all dude, just tedious...and what I would imagine it would be like arguing with Joy Behar on the View. I only chimed in because all us Ultra MAGA right wingers look the same, right?
Maybe you should go get laid (with a woman) this evening & lighten up a little
damn-chris.gif

2buffalo

Lil-Rokslider
And the democrat controlled House and Senate who passed the Bill he signed.

This is exactly why the U.S. is in the shape we are in. We have a population largely made up of people too simple minded to analyze a problem and far too quick to jump on a political bandwagon. But they'll tell you all day long how smart they are.
If you all block the troll wyobutthunter he will go away...

Status
Not open for further replies.