Neck pain with pack

Have you guys experienced issues with certain packs making it hard to look up and causing neck strain? I have this issue with my current pack and want to avoid this when purchasing my new one. I'm looking at kifaru and Seek packs. I saw in the review Zach did this year that he was having these issues with the 44 mag.

Marble

WKR
I've never had neck pain from a pack. I would guess the pack doesn't fit right, needs adjustment and/or you are wearing it wrong.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
M
Had a buddy have issues exactly like this with his SG x-curve setup. He swapped to a kifaru duplex lite semi flat stays and his neck problems went away.
Good to know. My pack is an old Cabelas Alaskan II so fit isn't exactly perfect. Although I will say, this thing was probably the one of the best/durable constructed pieces of equipment I have ever seen. Its just hard as heck on my neck and its hard to look up when trucking uphill. After watching Zachs backpack reviews I was a little concerned about this issue since he commented on a couple of packs not allowing him to lookup while going uphill.

kit_man_duu

Lil-Rokslider
You might also want to try an Exo K2 or K3 setup. If you know anyone with one, see if you can try it. I have seen Exo and Kifaru packs listed here on the classified sections for reasonable prices.

OP
M
Living in central IL its hard to find places that carry some of the brands I'd like to try. Our closest Scheels carrys a couple small MR and Sitka, but thats it. Anone know if there will be any winter shows within a reasonable distance of me that will have some of the backpack companies there? (Within 350 miles)

Marble

WKR
Living in central IL its hard to find places that carry some of the brands I'd like to try. Our closest Scheels carrys a couple small MR and Sitka, but thats it. Anone know if there will be any winter shows within a reasonable distance of me that will have some of the backpack companies there? (Within 350 miles)
With most you can order and return within 30 days. Might consider this with frame and see how it goes.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

fulltiltaudio

Lil-Rokslider
I have noticed that if I do a lot of glassing with my pack on I tend to get neck pain. I have a Kifaru UL and if I don't put my binos up to look much while moving (on a dedicated hike) I don't usually have any problems. But if I'm moving slowly and glassi g constantly every few steps still hunting etc, I get neck and shoulder pain.
Not sure if this could be your problem or not but I finally figured out why it hurts me, took a few years to put it all together tho haha

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

OP
M
for sure, that sounds alot like my issue! Maybe not from glassing, but definitely trying to tilt my head back and look up when going up hill. When hiking I actually have to lift up on the bar on top of the pack to give my neck and shoulders some relief. I'm hoping my new backpack won't limit my mobility to tilt my head back. I think perhaps I am placing tension on my neck and shoulder muscles without even doing it on purpose. I guess I just would like to find a backpack that doesn't limit you from tilting your head back when wearing it.