Need muzzle velocities for 20” Tikka… specific attributes and data points requested.

PBBananaHammock

Lil-Rokslider
I recently had a stainless Tikka T3X Lite in 6.5cm cut/threaded to a barrel length of 20”. I am looking for measured muzzle velocities from others with the same configuration. I will average these data points to get a decent starting metric for my ballistic software before I start burning ammo to calibrate.

I have read tikka barrels are purported to be slow and there may be differences in stainless and chrome Molly/blued barrel velocities as well, so the simple 25fps/in average likely won’t apply.

I’m trying to reduce as many variables as possible so please only post your recorded muzzle velocities if the following specs can be met:

Tikka t3x lite
20” (or close to it) factory barrel (no customs)
Stainless (no chrome moly)
6.5cm
Factory ammo (147 or 130 eldm/amax, 143 eldx, or other polymer tipped frangibles… no hand loads, no OTMs)

Provide an estimated round count at the time of the muzzle velocity measurement, as well as an average outside temperature (These don’t have to be exact.

If the rifle was suppressed (as mine will be), please make a note of it.

Finally, my app uses G1 BC. Just out of curiosity, who here adjusts/lowers the BC in your ballistic software to account for the decrease in muzzle velocity?

I have seen bits and pieces of this info in other threads and on other sites but there have been certain variables I listed left off that I wish to isolate. Even if there are only 2 of you out there that fit all these specs (doubtful), I’d be appreciative of the feedback.

Thank you.

OP
PBBananaHammock

PBBananaHammock

Lil-Rokslider
***velocities for light 120gr projectiles with stout construction are welcome as well, but not preferable***

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
Recently bought a Tikka CTR in 6.5 Creedmore with a 20” blued barrel (sorry it’s not stainless). I don't have a chronograph but when shooting unsupressed with factory Match 140 ELDM ammo my first 40 shots had a velocity of 2500 FPS based on truing the velocity using POI on a distant target at 1040 yards. Hoping it picks up a bit more speed after a few hundred rounds and the addition of a suppressor.

Density altitude was 5350 Ft. and temp was 59 degrees F.

Best of luck!

OP
PBBananaHammock

PBBananaHammock

Lil-Rokslider
Recently bought a Tikka CTR in 6.5 Creedmore with a 20” blued barrel (sorry it’s not stainless). I don't have a chronograph but when shooting unsupressed with factory Match 140 ELDM ammo my first 40 shots had a velocity of 2500 FPS based on truing the velocity using POI on a distant target at 1040 yards. Hoping it picks up a bit more speed after a few hundred rounds and the addition of a suppressor.

Density altitude was 5350 Ft. and temp was 59 degrees F.

Best of luck!
Thank you. Please follow up after a couple hundred rounds if your speed improves.

db.cannon

FNG
Classified Approved
20 inch ctr blued. About 300-400 rounds, 140 grain hornady factory and 140 gn SB fmj. Started about 2500-2525 (no can) just based off atmospherics and truing drop to 1000 with box BC's. With harvester evo settled in somewhere around 2550-2560. Doing first load workup now with h4350 140 eldm and alpha brass (new to reloading so taking it slow). Not shooting hot handloads. Will likely end up somewhere 2550-2575 based on borrowed magnetospeed. Based on hornady loading manual that does work out to about 25 fps per inch of barrel.

OP
PBBananaHammock

PBBananaHammock

Lil-Rokslider
20 inch ctr blued. About 300-400 rounds, 140 grain hornady factory and 140 gn SB fmj. Started about 2500-2525 (no can) just based off atmospherics and truing drop to 1000 with box BC's. With harvester evo settled in somewhere around 2550-2560. Doing first load workup now with h4350 140 eldm and alpha brass (new to reloading so taking it slow). Not shooting hot handloads. Will likely end up somewhere 2550-2575 based on borrowed magnetospeed. Based on hornady loading manual that does work out to about 25 fps per inch of barrel.
That’s fantastic, thank you.

How do you like the harvester evo? I have the original harvester 30, and was considering getting the evo in the future.

db.cannon

FNG
Classified Approved
First and only can, so not much to compare to, but I love it. I think it sounds excellent and would recommend to anybody. Have shot next to the original harvester and evo is a touch quieter.

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
First and only can, so not much to compare to, but I love it. I think it sounds excellent and would recommend to anybody. Have shot next to the original harvester and evo is a touch quieter.

Posted earlier in the thread, also using a 20” Blued CTR with a Harvester Evo. It’s also my first can and I’ve been very pleased. Have also used it on my Tikka .223 and works great. I think it’s a great value for a relatively lightweight suppressor and would definitely recommend.

db.cannon

FNG
Classified Approved
Just as a follow up - averaged at 2605 today for 15 shots. A little quicker than I anticipated but results were good on paper. At 41.0 grains so still under book max and no pressure signs.

Not a Tikka but a 20" 308 Win:
COTS Hornady ELD-X 178 gr: Published 2600 fps, actual 2514 fps
COTS Federal TA: 175 gr: Published 2600 fps, actual 2600 fps

No two rifles are the same; not on accuracy, not on velocity.

If your true intention is to develop a usable load for your 20" T3X 6.5 CM, you'd be better served going to the Reloading section on this site and asking for starter loads for a 20" 6.5 CM. Then compare that info with what is your reloading manual(s) of choice, grab the required components, and start the reloading and ballistics validation processes.

OP
PBBananaHammock

PBBananaHammock

Lil-Rokslider
Not a Tikka but a 20" 308 Win:
COTS Hornady ELD-X 178 gr: Published 2600 fps, actual 2514 fps
COTS Federal TA: 175 gr: Published 2600 fps, actual 2600 fps

No two rifles are the same; not on accuracy, not on velocity.

If your true intention is to develop a usable load for your 20" T3X 6.5 CM, you'd be better served going to the Reloading section on this site and asking for starter loads for a 20" 6.5 CM. Then compare that info with what is your reloading manual(s) of choice, grab the required components, and start the reloading and ballistics validation processes.
No sir, I don’t reload. Asking about factory 6.5 ammo from a stainless factory 20” Tikka barrel as referenced in the first post. Just averaging posted velocities for a ballpark estimate.

Roughly 25fps per inch has gotten me close on other rifles (mostly 308s) but Tikkas allegedly have a reputation for being a bit sluggish. At least initially. I’ve also seen reference that it’s the 6.5 tikkas specifically that may be sluggish due to the freebore. Don’t know.

I’m in the middle of moving back to CO at the moment and waiting on an optic, so it’s going to be quite a while before I can proof the rifle myself. Just collecting data on rifles as similar to mine as possible in the meantime to minimize variables.

I am also very interested if anyone reduces the BC in their ballistics apps for the shorter barrels/slower starting velocity.

Last edited:
oh and not 20 inches but since I have a T3x lite 24 in stainless 6.5 CM
ELDM 140 factory ammo im getting 2669 fps avg (Box says 2710)
these like the 223 was at sea level with magneto speed

before i got the magneto speed i was shooting norma bondstrike 143 6.5 cm and hitting steel out to 700 using trued mv of 2701 (box says 2740) however that was just hitting steel target not with a horizontal line on the steel target so probably not exactly perfectly trued mv but ballpark

Last edited:

db.cannon

FNG
Classified Approved
Not an expert on this but I was curious about bc vs mv awhile ago and stumbled across this podcast. It's mostly in reference to their ballistic calculator's features but they chat about the topic for a bit. Sounded like they don't think it matters which you use. Start around the 17 min mark.

OP
PBBananaHammock

PBBananaHammock

Lil-Rokslider
oh and not 20 inches but since I have a T3x lite 24 in stainless 6.5 CM
ELDM 140 factory ammo im getting 2669 fps avg (Box says 2710)
these like the 223 was at sea level with magneto speed

before i got the magneto speed i was shooting norma bondstrike 143 6.5 cm and hitting steel out to 700 using trued mv of 2701 (box says 2740) however that was just hitting steel target not with a horizontal line on the steel target so probably exactly perfect but ballpark
Good info, simple enough to estimate from a 24in. What do you think your round count is with that 2669fps avg?

OP
PBBananaHammock

PBBananaHammock

Lil-Rokslider
Not an expert on this but I was curious about bc vs mv awhile ago and stumbled across this podcast. It's mostly in reference to their ballistic calculator's features but they chat about the topic for a bit. Sounded like they don't think it matters which you use. Start around the 17 min mark.
Thank you for the reference! Hornady has a manual for adjustments in BC based on your expected impact velocity. It’s just not a broadly discussed topic to know how relevant it is.