Need muzzle velocities for 20” Tikka… specific attributes and data points requested.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Factory tikka 24.3” barrel pre cut/threaded w/143 handloads: 2925fps

Cut to 21” same load: 2830fps

So about 30fps/inch. Factory ammo was about same if I recall (only 250fps slower). That 25-30fps number has held true on a lot of my 40-70g of powder rifles in the 24-18” range fwiw.

~200rnds down. Suppressed. 40-60deg F.

Edit/add: shooting factory rounds in the tikka 6.5C throat is a bit rough. It’s longer than most which allows more space and less pressure on inital blast. Handloads get much better performance in those tikkas (IMO).

Guessing 20” factory barrel with factory 143 eldx will be close to 2525-2575fps.

Last edited:
OP
PBBananaHammock

PBBananaHammock

Lil-Rokslider
Not enough to make any difference
Even if that picks up 50fps (doubtful) it won’t change the effective range any

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In all likelyhood the batch to batch quality of factory ammo probably has more variable input than that 50fps. However when I’m in MO over the holidays at sea level I’ll take every bit of velocity I can get. At the very least, a marginally higher number inspires confidence to make up for any velocity variance in factory ammo from batch to batch.

Last edited:
It seems like OP is taking a very roundabout way to get to a ballistic solution. Other people's velocities with input for round count and temperature is getting into the weeds where you have no idea how much these factors are playing into velocities.

measure actual with a chrono. If you don't have access to a chrono, use Applied ballistics published BCs and tweak the MV in your solution to match actual drops to 600 or so yards.