Need some help on a new scope.

204_ruger

FNG
Looking for a new scope for my 280AI rifle. Will be used for hunting. And shooting steel out to 600 yds . Wanting a SFP scope. Exposed elevation turret. And a capped windage turret. Scopes I have been looking at.
Leica amplus 6 3x18x44mm
Trijicon tenmile 4x24x50mm
Nightforce shv 5x20x56mm
Zeiss v4 4x16x44mm
Huskemaw 4x16x42mm. Could I buy a custom turret for any of them?

Looking for a new scope for my 280AI rifle. Will be used for hunting. And shooting steel out to 600 yds . Wanting a SFP scope. Exposed elevation turret. And a capped windage turret. Scopes I have been looking at.
Leica amplus 6 3x18x44mm
Trijicon tenmile 4x24x50mm
Nightforce shv 5x20x56mm
Zeiss v4 4x16x44mm
Huskemaw 4x16x42mm. Could I buy a custom turret for any of them?
Great choices. I have personal experience with the Leica, NF, Zeiss and Husk and they will all perform for your needs really well
Would you rather invest in a custom turret or ballistics electronics that will allow you to shoot in any environment? The only issue with a custom turret is that it is optimized for 1 environment only rather than a Kestrel and other tools that will allow you to optimize to any environment. The latter will cost you more at inception however serve you better in varying conditions.

I was planning on buying a new rangefinder. And a kestrel wind meter. The range that I am going to. U can shoot out to 2300 yds. I am happy shooting out to 600. I am going spring bear hunting next spring. I am going to practice has much as I can. Which one would you go with. I like the Leica alot.

I was planning on buying a new rangefinder. And a kestrel wind meter. The range that I am going to. U can shoot out to 2300 yds. I am happy shooting out to 600. I am going spring bear hunting next spring. I am going to practice has much as I can. Which one would you go with. I like the Leica alot.
Leica glass is top of the line, if you are going to shoot to maybe 600 or 1000, 18x is fine. If you are planing on shooting out to 2300, you may want to consider a higher magnification. Something in the 24x or 26x range...

Last edited:
For hunting, I would want the 3X low end.
I'm shopping Meopta Optika 6 in SFP for range and hunting.
My experience with Meopta is the glass and tracking are excellent.

I just went from a NX8 2.5x20 to a Zeiss v4 4x16 on my 280ai. Both are solid scopes from my time with them. I don't think the Zeiss will be as robust but it also doesn't weigh as much as the NF. I think you're on the right track with all of those man.

I have never used a FFP scope. I won't shoot pass 600 yds. I like the Leica amplus 6 3x18x44mm. But not alot people using them. I don't know much about them. The Leica I like the reticle in it. I like all the scopes i have listed. I was planning on buying a Leupold VX 5 or a VX6. But I see alot of them for sale. I fount a Zeiss v4 6x24x50mm. A demo cheaper than I can buy a new v4 4x16x44mm . Leica has a 10 yrs warranty. It covers anything even accidents. Then a 30 yrs limited warranty. All other ones have lifetime too. I like that reticle in Leica 6.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240502_074136_Chrome~3.jpg
    Screenshot_20240502_074136_Chrome~3.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 22
i have a credo 2.5-15 on my 280 AI, but it is an ultralight gun and wanted to keep the weight down. I shoot it out to 1k all the time. I also have two Tenmile 5-25s and they are awesome. One is on my son’s 280AI and the other is on my 223 varmint gun.

I am a huge trijicon fan. I also have a few nightforce scopes and I really like those. They just weight a little more than the trijicons.

Would u pick Leica over the others? Does all of them track like they should? Which one has the better glass? Not to worried about weight. I live in the south. Mosty hunting out of climbing stands. The 3x18 would be ideal. I am going to carry it on some coyote hunts. To get used to the setup.

Would u pick Leica over the others? Does all of them track like they should? Which one has the better glass? Not to worried about weight. I live in the south. Mosty hunting out of climbing stands. The 3x18 would be ideal. I am going to carry it on some coyote hunts. To get used to the setup.
Have you read the drop test results?

For a hunting scope I love my Huskemaw. I realize that Huskemaw is viewed by many as just a product of BOTW tv show but really they are a great hunting scope. I have had two 5x20 for 15 years and have been very satisfied. They have very dependable tracking, very good glass, and good size and weight for a carry rifle. Their customer service has also been very helpful for the turrets, et.

I don't know much about the Leica. Where can I find the drop test results? I fount a demo Zeiss 6x24x50 mm. Cheaper than I can buy a new v4 4x16x44mm. I have been reading the reviews on the Huskemaw. I like how they can cut the custom turret.

I don't know much about the Leica. Where can I find the drop test results? I fount a demo Zeiss 6x24x50 mm. Cheaper than I can buy a new v4 4x16x44mm. I have been reading the reviews on the Huskemaw. I like how they can cut the custom turret.
I have 5 Leica scopes. 2 I've beat the crap out of and used alot. I'm talking 75-80x a year in the field with them. I've always been clumsy, then had a stroke in my left ear 6 years ago. My balance and coordination are shit. The Leicas hold zero and are spectacular on clarity and performance in low light. I wouldn't be scared of hard treatment of an Amplus.

The maven everyone raves about here seems to hit the sweet spot. I also really like the looks of the trijicon 2.5x15. My favorite scopes that I own are nightforce NX8s and a trijicon credo. I'm very interested in the 2.5x15 creedo.

The NX8s are amazing but at the expense of weight. The 2.5x20 is very compact and takes a little work to fit to long actions with rails.

I like how they can cut the custom turret.
I’ve been there - with a Tract. It ended up being a waste of money for me. The custom turrets work only for a specific load/round. Learning to dial works for me in many more situations.

Pretty much all of the scopes being discussed here are winners and would work well. You can get custom yardage turrets made for most or even replaceable labels that work very well also. They all come with moa turrets if you prefer to use electronics that give you the solution to dial.
I do believe that a few of these have a better track record for dependable tracking than others. I have used Leupold, Burris, Nightforce and Huskemaw. The latter two have proven best quality and of those two I prefer the size, weight and simplicity of the Huskemaw.

Back