Needing a different water filtration

Derek0525

WKR
So I have been using a MSR Gravity works for my water filtration which works ok but it can be a pain when using silty water pretty much it's a pain to back flush the filter to get it flowing again then you have to wait for all the air to purge out of the line. I have never used a pump and something about steripens weird me out. I'm planning on getting some aquamira for backup most of my water sources hunting are pretty clean but there are some places over East I hunt that have free range cattle.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have best luck with my old PUR Hiker...now a different brand name but same pump. Just change the filer every season and you're good to go with silty water. Still, I try to locate some pools that have sit for long spells off the main channels for best filtered water.

larry

I used a msr sweetwater last year with the drops and thought it worked flawless! Pumped fast and provided crystal clear tasty water. I carry a life straw in my emergency kit but havent needed to use it. A major deciding factor was is was titled wrong on ebay so i got it new for $15:)

colonel00

WKR
+1 on the Sawyer filters. I use them inline or as gravity filters but carry a squeeze bag to use if needed as well.

Hungarydog

Lil-Rokslider
I have used an msr mini works for years and like the fact that when flow slows you just take out the filter scrub it off and back to work. This year I've started using the Sawyer and it works great for a third of the weight. A couple things to keep in mind the Sawyer is a filter and pumps are micro filters and Sawyers are subject to damage in freezing temps. I'll be using the Sawyer and carrying tabs as backup or in case of sketchy water

KH_bowfly

Lil-Rokslider
I have used an msr mini works for years and like the fact that when flow slows you just take out the filter scrub it off and back to work. This year I've started using the Sawyer and it works great for a third of the weight. A couple things to keep in mind the Sawyer is a filter and pumps are micro filters and Sawyers are subject to damage in freezing temps. I'll be using the Sawyer and carrying tabs as backup or in case of sketchy water

I've also been using the mini works for about 10 years or so. It has always treated me well and I'd like to second how great it is being able to clean the filter in the field.

I will say the newer mini works and some of the newer water systems are tempting with how light they are though.

I've used the pur hiker pro as well for quite a few years in Colorado and I've filtered some pretty nasty water when I've been desperate (and not planned well) and haven't ever gotten sick. I carry some drops for emergency but have yet to use them.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I have been using the Platipus gravity filter, forget the model name. It works great in non freezing temps. I will be looking to get a filter that will work in sub freezing temps.

OP
D

Derek0525

WKR
Freezing is one problem where I hunt in eastern Oregon it can be 90 during the day and down to 20 at night I have had my water bladder hose freeze up on before. I will check into some of the pumps you guys have mentioned.

Ironman8

WKR
I keep my Sawyer mini in my cargo pocket at all times and in my sleeping bag with me at night. Shouldn't have a problem with it freezing as long as you're careful

Mtnboy

WKR
I use a Katydan Hiker, had it for going on 6-7 years and have had zero issues. It's not the lightest option, but for me it's been super reliable and when it comes to water, that's what I want.

OP
D

Derek0525

WKR
I would rather have something that's a little heavier and I can rely on. I was kinda looking at the katydan hiker pro.

bogeyboy555

Lil-Rokslider
So I have been using a MSR Gravity works for my water filtration which works ok but it can be a pain when using silty water pretty much it's a pain to back flush the filter to get it flowing again then you have to wait for all the air to purge out of the line. I have never used a pump and something about steripens weird me out. I'm planning on getting some aquamira for backup most of my water sources hunting are pretty clean but there are some places over East I hunt that have free range cattle.

I have had probably 5 different filters.....

The Sawyer ones are HANDS DOWN the easiest to use and require the least amount of space. I have a big sawyer for longer trips, and the sawyer mini for my overnight scouting trips with my smaller pack. For the money, its a no brainer.

The John

Lil-Rokslider
I would rather have something that's a little heavier and I can rely on. I was kinda looking at the katydan hiker pro.

I have a katydan Hiker Pro myself and it has worked really well from me in Eastern Oregon. I usually bring a couple of coffee filters with me to prevent too much silt getting into the filter. I rubber band one filter over the inlet screen, and it helps keep most of the silt/other small debris out. Also, the hiker pro has an internal mesh around the filter to grab whats missed.

I haven't had any issues with it freezing but I usually drain it and keep it in a pack/bag at night.

Oh, and watch REI as they usually have the filter for 70 bucks (if I am remembering right) for their labor day sale...

xziang

WKR
One partner had the bigger Katadyn filter and I ended up purchasing the Katadyn Hiker pro which I love. I really like just hooking it up to the bladder hose and backfilling it so you don't need to take it out of the pack.

*Edited: kind of bulky but for ease of use I like it*

CA Karen

Lil-Rokslider
Sawyer mini for me with the a Hiker Pro and another Sawyer mini for back up at the trail head. I carry a second bladder to fill at the water source and bring it back to camp and hook it up to gravity fill my primary in the evening, or use as squeeze bag to fill my primary if I am low during the day.

Chris Sloan

Lil-Rokslider
If you guys watch the gritty bowmen podcasts....Aron Snyder covers water purification ins n outs. The steripen was the only one that passed w 100%, because its not filtering out particles, its killing the bacteria. Cpl coffee filters takes care of floaters if thats a problem. One hard freeze is enough the break the internal filters on some gravity or pump type filters, the Sawyer being one of those, and you wont ever know it. No pumping w a steripen either.

OP
D

Derek0525

WKR
I kinda want to go with a pump now so I can put a quick connect into the drink tube and fill the bladder without removing the bladder out of my pack.

gustafsj

Lil-Rokslider
I love my Sawyer inline filter. I bought extra quick connects to work with various hydration bags. MSR Dromedary 6 liter, Source 3 liter, Platypus 2.4L. If the water is silty, I run thru a coffee filter first, this seems to help a lot. Back when I used a pump, I wrapped a coffee filter around the intake and it saved from having to clean the filter so much.