Negative comb cheek riser?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’m always open to new ideas and concepts. I am satisfied with my “jaw weld” but the idea of a negative comb interests me. I made up a quick proof of concept negative comb cheek riser to throw on my rifle to test.

I want to test it more, but I may be convinced to add this to my rifles. I already have major changes planned if I liked it and to put it in production if there is interest.

Leather for comfort.
Closed cell foam in wedges and layers to adjust both height and angle.

Anyone else interested in the project?

2D5B0445-8F0A-4718-8C39-D14CF146BA8C.jpeg

Attachments

• 6CA772AC-CDCE-42B9-9CAD-8D9EFC512FFE.jpeg
    6CA772AC-CDCE-42B9-9CAD-8D9EFC512FFE.jpeg
    206.8 KB · Views: 47
I was actually going to do this with a triad tactical stock pack but if you’re going to do it right, I’m interested.

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I was actually going to do this with a triad tactical stock pack but if you’re going to do it right, I’m interested.
There is no other way to do it, which is why I look for input early. Let me know what you would like to see.

I have been toying with multiple ways to skin this cat. I have a general idea now, and know some of the constraints to making it simple and effective. That is actually hard to do well. I've used another stock packs/riser, which is why I decided to make my own...

PhotoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
The main weakness of the comb riser solutions I've seen is they all change cast. If you solve that problem, there will be lot's of people wanting it.

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The main weakness of the comb riser solutions I've seen is they all change cast. If you solve that problem, there will be lot's of people wanting it.
Thanks, good feedback. I will get a pic from the rear and see what you think.

I tried to make it go straight up and terminate at about the same width. I didn’t like adjustable Kydex risers for that reason because it pushed my face away from the center line. They have to be fat so they can slide up and down.

i experimented with this and angled my bradley cheek riser. kydex ones you can do that way too. It felt weird compared to my other rifles so I changed it back but might force myself to get used to it onc I get my rokstock
PXL_20231120_025407997.jpg

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Got the prototype figured out for the wedge and the how to make it adjustable. I will include additional foam to adjust the height.

It’s an oil tanned soft leather.

This one is minimalist. I am going to rework the holes and lacing. Also considering some other types of connections.

I have another version that I made with shell holders on the other side.

Any ideas for me?
Suggestions?

D8EE1EB8-FAA2-4C8C-AFAD-E0B0DD2259FF.jpeg1F617E9B-CE86-49D7-A0CB-28DD007283D6.jpeg816E5CB0-F837-40DF-8940-B77A11AE3442.jpegDD41E7A4-15A6-4D92-9845-06F2F5451555.jpegEE13B1E9-2D8D-43B0-8CDF-8AFC85804365.jpeg

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I don’t think this changes cast. You can even roll it a little right or left for your face.

DFAE0112-03BB-4B85-B2A3-FF3B8D1AC4DA.jpeg

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Got a version that works great and feels nice.

What changes or features do you want?

I want it to fit in a rifle carrier, Kifaru gun bearer, Exo, SG ect. Looks like you're on the right track. I've been using a Triad forever and it's a real pain to get into the various rifle carriers available.

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I want it to fit in a rifle carrier, Kifaru gun bearer, Exo, SG ect. Looks like you're on the right track. I've been using a Triad forever and it's a real pain to get into the various rifle carriers available.
Right. I didn’t want it to be clunky like what’s out there. Keep it simple, always a fundamental principle for me.

Unckebob

WKR
Got the prototype figured out for the wedge and the how to make it adjustable. I will include additional foam to adjust the height.

It’s an oil tanned soft leather.

This one is minimalist. I am going to rework the holes and lacing. Also considering some other types of connections.

I have another version that I made with shell holders on the other side.

Any ideas for me?
Suggestions?

View attachment 676138View attachment 676139View attachment 676140View attachment 676141View attachment 676142

Grommets are a must for the finished version.

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’ve never had instruction so I don’t know if I need one or not.
Me either…

I don’t know how many people outside of Rokslide actually think about negative comb. I certainly hadn’t. And, I even moved away from cheek risers. I don’t think I need one, but just playing with this prototype I kinda like it. Just having soft leather with foam makes it easier to shoulder and get my face on the gun.

Time will tell whether I stick with it.

I feel like this doesn’t actually solve a problem? I thought the height over bore line is mainly for a mechanical advantage. With this, the recoil flow is still the same, and your going to have that upward moment from the muzzle because it is still higher than the highest point on the recoil pad?

BBob

WKR
I think you are attempting to join two separate but beneficial properties into one. This concept would be similar to the Gunwerx ClymR. Less felt recoil with a negative comb but without the benefits of a higher than bore recoil pad to help stay on target. The Rokstok just uses both together, they aren’t necessarily mutual.

Sled

WKR
i experimented with this and angled my bradley cheek riser. kydex ones you can do that way too. It felt weird compared to my other rifles so I changed it back but might force myself to get used to it onc I get my rokstock
View attachment 672709

I did this with my Bradley on a fierce fury. It worked fine but I went back to the triad for the pouch and pad.

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I feel like this doesn’t actually solve a problem? I thought the height over bore line is mainly for a mechanical advantage. With this, the recoil flow is still the same, and your going to have that upward moment from the muzzle because it is still higher than the highest point on the recoil pad?
Correct, it doesn't do anything for that. The purpose of the higher riser is so that you have a permanent and solid place to put your face for a repeatable position. When the rifle is set up for you, it is automatic to shoulder the rifle and drop your face on in the same position. And, you don't have to search for the scope picture.

The negative comb is so that on recoil the rifle slides under your cheek, rather than smashing it. I could get a bruise on my cheek when I overused my cheek piece when I shot a lot over a couple days.

I think you are attempting to join two separate but beneficial properties into one. This concept would be similar to the Gunwerx ClymR. Less felt recoil with a negative comb but without the benefits of a higher than bore recoil pad to help stay on target. The Rokstok just uses both together, they aren’t necessarily mutual.
It only solves one, and that is to get a solid index point for the face to get into the scope easily and repeatably. The negative comb allows the recoil to slide it away from the cheek.

I used an adjustable cheek piece for years on my comp gun and my hunting gun. I ditched it to get my hunting rifle lighter. I use a "jaw weld" for a repeatable position, but with a soft, padded, negative comb, I may go back to one for the benefits.

It seems that this is something that many would like to add to their rifles, to get the feeling rather than the full Rokstock.

As for the Rokstock above bore butt position, if you keep the scope low, then it seems like the point the stock hits my shoulder will still be approximately the same place. The geometry of the shoulder, neck, and eye for me, means that I'd have to move the scope even higher. I've ran adjustable butt pads, and tried them high like the Rokstock, but with the current VG2 I am running, I don't really need them higher.