NEIGHBOR'S HOUSE GETTING BROKEN INTO. WHAT DO YOU DO?

KHNC

WKR
My neighbor had his Dodge Diesel stolen overnight from his driveway about 2 months ago. Its an older one, prob a 2010 or so. He is about 300 yds away. Anyway, I started leaving the keys in my F250 in the driveway since im tired of buying diesel at inflated prices. So far , everyone else is tired of it too, truck is still there every morning.

Sneak outside flatten their tires, stuff a potato in there tailpipe and go call the cops and watch the show drinking a beer.
This is what I was thinking. Call the neighbor, call the cops, then a couple subsonic suppressed 300bo bullets into their tires and wait for the show to begin!

*zap*

WKR
societal decay is real...let the air out of the tires via valve stem...call the cops...observe.

No shit ... I'd fear for my cleaning ladies life if some of ya'll were my neighbor. The poor high school kid I get to take care of my dogs when I'm out of town wouldn't stand a chance.
Some of those folks are in legit danger, but it also draws light to talking to anyone you know doing jobs like this to properly identify themselves. We were laying in bed last winter and at about 11:30PM our doorbell motion detector went off. Young man was standing on my front porch with his hood up. Gave the phone to my wife to watch while I grabbed the nearest weapon to monitor. I went upstairs to my kids room to watch him and he eventually walked back down the driveway. About 15 seconds later he came running back up the driveway looking like he was gonna bum rush our front door so I ran downstair and I got down just in time to see him run off the steps with a bag of Door Dash food (delivery driver with wrong address). The kid was about one second from having a red dot on his chest and laying on the ground because of a string of poor decisions on his part. Sounds like half the guys on here would've shot him dead as he walked down the driveway the first time......

I had another run in with a bull moose eating a jack o lantern off the front porch at 3 am that was good practice as well. Turned out to be a pretty funny story.

Last edited:
The last time I had a suspicious person looking through peoples yards and around their cars in the middle of the night it was my neighbors daughter looking for mittens her dumbass cat.

People need to calm down and address situations more.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
This kind of scenario wasn’t what Inwas talking about. I was referring to the three guys who confronted the black guy outside of a house in their neighborhood. He ran and they chased him. One of them with a gun. They caught him and he tried to take the gun from one of them and got shot. Totally different than a guy openly firing and committing crimes. I would agree with the approach you described, just not with the limited info provided by the OP.

Some of those folks are in legit danger, but it also draws light to talking to anyone you know doing jobs like this to properly identify themselves. We were laying in bed last winter and at about 11:30PM our doorbell motion detector went off. Young man was standing on my front porch with his hood up. Gave the phone to my wife to watch while I grabbed the nearest weapon to monitor. I went upstairs to my kids room to watch him and he eventually walked back down the driveway. About 15 seconds later he came running back up the driveway looking like he was gonna bum rush our front door so I ran downstair and I got down just in time to see him run off the steps with a bag of Door Dash food (delivery driver with wrong address). The kid was about one second from having a red dot on his chest and laying on the ground because of a string of poor decisions on his part. Sounds like half the guys on here would've shot him dead as he walked down the driveway the first time......

I had another run in with a bull moose eating a jack o lantern off the front porch at 3 am that was good practice as well. Turned out to be a pretty funny story.
"a string of poor decisions on his part"

So he shouldn't try to drop food off on a doorstep??? and if he drops it off at the wrong place, he shouldn't go back and get it???

Seems like some guys are just looking for reasons to shoot people.

"a string of poor decisions on his part"

So he shouldn't try to drop food off on a doorstep??? and if he drops it off at the wrong place, he shouldn't go back and get it???

Seems like some guys are just looking for reasons to shoot people.
If it were my kid, I would advise them to first of all to drop the hood when walking up to someone's house. And second, he could've walked up and seen the camera light up on him and simply held the bag up to the camera for a few seconds before placing it in front of the door, or place it a couple feet back where the camera can see it. I would've walked out and gave the dude a heads up and helped him out. I live about 150 feet back from the main road and a snow pile obstructed the view of his car, I didn't even see a car. Just a bit of spatial awareness on his part goes a long ways.

What exactly do you think is happening when someone in a hood and hands in his front pocket is roaming around your house near midnight? Just go right to "probably just some guy from a delivery service I've never heard of with the wrong address"? Is it also worth considering that Anchorage now has a crime rate sitting at 4th in the nation and those clowns are moving outward? I watched from inside my home looking for reasons not to confront him.

edit to add: The only other time I pulled a firearm was a 3 AM and it sounded like someone was trying to pry my front door open with a crow bar. This was before we installed the video doorbell. We have one of them broken glass front door windows and could see movement as I walked to the door. I walked to the big picture window in the room next to the door and slightly opened the blinds a bit and hit it with the flood light with firearm in hand. It was a 35-40 inch bull eating the kids pumpkins off the front steps and his antlers were beating the front porch. Would've you handled that differently? Just laid in bed and hope for the best?

91E77486-AE4C-46E7-B602-3B0369E6C89B.jpeg

Last edited:
Simple. Call it in. Another guy's house isn't worth it to me to go to prison over.
This whole "not my problem" attitude is sweeping the country now, it's not our problem until it is our problem and then nobody's around to help. I'm not saying it's right or wrong or not merited either, it's just sad. Even the popo gets crapped on sometimes when they respond so I don't even blame them for avoiding certain situations anymore.

This whole "not my problem" attitude is sweeping the country now, it's not our problem until it is our problem and then nobody's around to help. I'm not saying it's right or wrong or not merited either, it's just sad. Even the popo gets crapped on sometimes when they respond so I don't even blame them for avoiding certain situations anymore.

What are you talking about??? If you thought my post was about "not my problem" then...well, I don't know what to say.

Last edited:

WCB

WKR
Depends on what's going on. Person opens the garage door via code or walks up to the front door car running or shutoff right in the driveway and opens door, flickking lights on etc. Probably just mental note it or call/text the neighbor if I have their number (2 out of 3 we have their info). Random dude car parked down the block or not visible going through a window or lurking/creeping around outside trying different entrance routes....call/text neighbor and call cops.

Try to get plate numbers or get photo video with phone. If the neighbors aren't home I would rather the dirt bag get caught than spook them off.

Side note: I remember being like 6 or 7 driving with my grandparents and my two sisters. Grandpa notices a dude running through the ditch being chased by a couple store employees. Without hesitation my grandpa bailed, chased the guy down, layout tackled him, fed him a few knuckles and held him till the cops came. hahaha Grandpa was around 61-62yrs old at the time and absolutely walked about a 30 year old dude.

2531usmc

WKR
The first step in protecting yourself/neighbors is to get a ring doorbell camera. It provides a chance to assess the situation and hopefully make a rational decision.

I would also think in todays world bear spray is a better defensive arm than a gun. Almost without exception an honest citizen discharging a gun towards a criminal will result in the honest citizen’s life being destroyed. If not by criminal charges it will be from lawsuits and stress

Beendare

WKR
So many things a guy needs to know going into a situation like this.

You can defend yourself with deadly force if your life is in danger....But you cannot shoot someone down for stealing your neighbors Xbox.

There are Lots of scenarios in between those two.

Then there is tactics. Confronting a guy breaking in to your neighbors home, how do you know there isn't an accomplice sneaking up behind you while you have tunnel vision on the Crook?

I think the rules of engagement are ridiculously skewed in favor of the crooks....and that needs to change. Steal something and get shot- too bad, then don't be stealing stuff.

KsRancher

WKR
Since my only neighbor is my grandmother. I would handle it exactly like I would my own house if I thought someone was going into her house to do something. Rules of engagement laws be damned, it's my grandmother.

Now if I lived in town and the neighbors were just neighbors. I would probably just call the law unless I thought something I could do would prevent harm to the neighbors. By that I mean if they weren't home and someone was in there going thru their house for whatever reason. No way in heck would I go confront anyone. I would call the law and let them handle it.

Last edited:
My neighbor had his Dodge Diesel stolen overnight from his driveway about 2 months ago. Its an older one, prob a 2010 or so. He is about 300 yds away. Anyway, I started leaving the keys in my F250 in the driveway since im tired of buying diesel at inflated prices. So far , everyone else is tired of it too, truck is still there every morning.

My uncle had a truck he hated so he drove it to a really sketchy neighborhood and threw the keys up on the dash. Came by a couple of days later and the truck was still there but someone had stolen the tailgate off it. LOL