What do you age him at?

The Guide

WKR
Went on a ride to check out some areas to hunt and brought my 22 Hornet and my FoxPro to see if we could find a coyote or two. FoxPro was dead so I just went for a walk. Found this lil fella on my journey. Guess since I'm starting days off tomorrow, I'll go bow hunting... If I can't get him with a bow, my son (13 who is all of a sudden very interested in finishing his bow hunters ed certification that I've been trying to get him to do for the last 2+ months...) has requested a chance at the buck during youth season if I can't make it happen with my bow.

What do you think he ages? One buddy thinks 3.5 to 4.5 and another is 4.5 to 5.5. I'm in the middle at 4.5 due to mass and lack of a gray face.20230913_201434.jpg20230913_201434_resized.jpgScreenshot_20230913_231519_Gallery.jpg

I just got released yesterday after sinus surgery to be off weight restriction. I haven't shot my bow in 2 months so I'll be spending the morning making sure I'm not too rusty.

Jay

Rich M

WKR
He's pretty but it isn't an old buck - 3.5 to 4.5. Look at back and belly. Face is thin and short. 150-class.

I'd shoot him without even counting points, just not a big old buck like the outdoor writers talk about.

If you like him, shoot him and if you got teeth, smile and look happy in the pictures. I would.

OP
T

The Guide

WKR
Haven't run an arrow through a mule deer yet so I'm excited to get my errands done and go for a ride this evening.

Jay

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome photo! Eating no-tag-nonres-soup this year, just glad someone is out there doing the lords work

OP
T

The Guide

WKR
Im guessing he is 4.5
That was my guess too. Based on my experiences of killing mule deer for 35 years they age as follows.

0.5 years, no horns

1.5 years, spikes and 2 points. Really good genetics they might be a skinny and short 3 or 4 point. Not really sure about the rut. Might breed a fawn or a late cycle doe.

2.5 years, skinny 3 and 4 points who are finally trying to make and keep a harem of does. Tries to fight back but ends up stealing a doe or two and running away.

3.5 years, Skinny/crabby 3x4 or 4x4. This is the year they start putting on some mass on the body and length on horn. Gets really serious about breeding season and fights aggressively to keep his harem.

4.5 years, after fighting hard last year they went into winter skinny. They spend the spring and summer eating everything they can. This let's them build good mass in the horns and fill their body out. Most are a minimum of a 4x4. This breeding season they don't have to work as hard because they are bigger in both body and horn and after breeding their harem they steal younger bucks harem's.

5.5 years and up, horns get heavier and bases get thicker not many new points grown over previous year just more trash or drop tines. Figured out that it is easier for them to let the younger bucks gather the does and just take what they want. They have fought enough now that they have facial scars and the thick nose/sinus area. They hang out in prime areas in the off season and get thick. That good eats supports horn growth and leads to a fat belly and a sway back. They only come around when does are in cycle usually becoming nocturnal, then head back to their own hidden zone.

Just my thoughts

Jay

hobbes

WKR
He looks young to me and I wouldn't guess him more than 3.5. I also don't think he'll make 150 as previously mentioned, considering the short main beams and not particularly heavy. I'm not saying he's not a pretty buck, but I think he's short of some predictions. I could be full of it too. Good luck with the hunt.

OP
T

The Guide

WKR
Went to the area and the wind was all wrong. Blowing from the tops of the breaks down towards the river. If i could have come in from the bottom i would have been walking into the sun and not able to see anything before I fell on it. Wife and I went for a walk on a different area and found a big group of turkeys (30+ in the flock) and walked a new area that should be easy for her to take the kids hunting on when I'm working or unavailable. Kids want to kill a turkey tomorrow so we are all going to have a family walkabout with me looking to fill a couple of mule deer doe tags or a nice buck with my bow and the kids are going to be after turkeys and coyotes.

On a side note, the 3+ miles I walk is the most I've done off grade since I broke my leg in January. Broke my tib/fib and had to get some metal in me leg. Still nervous about crawling to get that last little bit in a stalk since right under my knee is where 2 of the titanium screws are that hole my titanium rod in place. Going to work hard to be back to my usual shape and be ready to chase elk hard for the whole season. Can I fill the 3 elk tags I can legally purchase in Montana? I shall try!

Jay

Screenshot_20230127_100559_Gallery.jpg

Rich M

WKR
He looks young to me and I wouldn't guess him more than 3.5. I also don't think he'll make 150 as previously mentioned, considering the short main beams and not particularly heavy. I'm not saying he's not a pretty buck, but I think he's short of some predictions. I could be full of it too. Good luck with the hunt.
Looking at him again, I see you are right - he looked wider & taller the first time I looked.

hobbes

WKR
Looking at him again, I see you are right - he looked wider & taller the first time I looked.
I could be wrong. I think the zoomed out photo makes him look bigger. The majority of folks hunting MT would shoot.