Nepal Himalayan Blue Sheep March 2022

Question for dukxdog…what inspired you to want to go after a blue sheep? I have never heard of such a sheep, let alone knowing you can hunt them. Is there a back story leading up to this amazing adventure?

PRC_GUY

WKR
Congrats and I enjoy your writing and the pictures is amazing, once again, thank you for sharing your adventure with us!

OP
dukxdog

dukxdog

Lil-Rokslider
Question for dukxdog…what inspired you to want to go after a blue sheep? I have never heard of such a sheep, let alone knowing you can hunt them. Is there a back story leading up to this amazing adventure?
I guided/outfitted hunters in Wyoming for 27 years starting in 1976. I've been on over 80 sheep hunts with most me not pulling the trigger.

In 1978 the Weatherby Award was given to Art Carlsburg who died in a fall hunting. I always thought he was hunting Blue sheep so that has been in my mind to do this hunt for 44 years! Turns out I just learned today he was hunting Tur in Azerbaijan so I now have a new hunt to make happen :)

There are only 18 Blue sheep permits given annually in Nepal so not many people will ever do this hunt. I'm glad I accomplished a hunt I have wanted to do and has been on my mind for 44 years.

This hunt is a bargain being that it is lots less money than a Dall sheep hunt in Alaska!

I killed a Marco Polo in Kyrgyzstan in 2019. That was also a dream hunt come true!

I've been hunting abroad each year since I was 50 years old. I hope I have more good years to make interesting hunt destinations having photos and memories live in me when I can't do this stuff any longer.

Thanks all for enjoying my story of a dream becoming reality.

They would not be able to get all they need to carry in any modern pack. They carry a 10 gallon propane cylinder, the sheep whole back to camp, etc. You can see how overfull the baskets are. Their system has worked for thousands of years.
The women and kids carry pine needles in the baskets for cattle feed at their homes.

And some of em do it in flip flops it appears. Holy cats..

I guided/outfitted hunters in Wyoming for 27 years starting in 1976. I've been on over 80 sheep hunts with most me not pulling the trigger.

In 1978 the Weatherby Award was given to Art Carlsburg who died in a fall hunting. I always thought he was hunting Blue sheep so that has been in my mind to do this hunt for 44 years! Turns out I just learned today he was hunting Tur in Azerbaijan so I now have a new hunt to make happen :)

There are only 18 Blue sheep permits given annually in Nepal so not many people will ever do this hunt. I'm glad I accomplished a hunt I have wanted to do and has been on my mind for 44 years.

This hunt is a bargain being that it is lots less money than a Dall sheep hunt in Alaska!

I killed a Marco Polo in Kyrgyzstan in 2019. That was also a dream hunt come true!

I've been hunting abroad each year since I was 50 years old. I hope I have more good years to make interesting hunt destinations having photos and memories live in me when I can't do this stuff any longer.

Thanks all for enjoying my story of a dream becoming reality.
Thanks for sharing the backstory. Part of my love for hunting is hearing the stories behind the pictures. The reason for the passion if that makes sense. Sounds like you’ve got some great memories and hopefully you make many more to carry us through those times when we can’t make them ourselves. Best of luck with your next adventure!! Be it Tur or whatever it is.

Mojave

WKR
I don't remember the year, but these hunts were $5000 in China while that program was open. I should have done that. Now they are $30,000 in Nepal. But I know a couple of guys that went to China and they never got to go hunting because of the government's bureacracy.

I also know a guy that has gone to Tajikstan 3 times for ibex, been in jail once, not allowed to leave the airport once and finally got one the third time. I don't think I would have been back.

Through the military I have visited most of the mountain shit hole countries in Asia. They are tough places.

Congrats on a nice ram, and an interesting experience.

I don't remember the year, but these hunts were $5000 in China while that program was open. I should have done that. Now they are $30,000 in Nepal. But I know a couple of guys that went to China and they never got to go hunting because of the government's bureacracy.

I also know a guy that has gone to Tajikstan 3 times for ibex, been in jail once, not allowed to leave the airport once and finally got one the third time. I don't think I would have been back.

Through the military I have visited most of the mountain shit hole countries in Asia. They are tough places.

Congrats on a nice ram, and an interesting experience.
I guess that’s part of the adventure 😬

cjadams25

FNG
This is an adventure and experience only a few will have. I'm very fortunate and humble to have been one of them. I knew I had to do this before I got any older. 65 is much different than when I was 45
smile

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Thanks for reading and sharing my adventure.

CHEERS!

Congrats! What an awesome trip!

cbarg14

FNG
A hunt of 10 lifetimes! Congratulations fulfilling this rewarding experience and a big thanks for sharing it on here. Your preparation, dedication, and perseverance is inspirational. Perfectly executed with gratitude, humility, and respect which makes your story even better. Cheers to you for many more rewarding adventures!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

TWHrunner

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for posting this and sharing your story. What an incredible adventure and congratulations on the sheep.

These are the mountains we hunted. Nothing is flat. Herders bring their livestock here in the summer to graze. There are huts and stock enclosures all over the mountains. It's a primitive life which has existed for thousands of years. I was amazed at all the houses constructed of stone with stone wall fences and stone supported terraces where they raise their crops. All the mountains are terraced since nothing is flat. This infrastructure has been built over untold generations. They plow with a single plow using two buffalo. They hoe and seed by hand. Women and men both work the fields. I don't believe they have any recreation, only constant work to SURVIVE! I was truly humbled to see this lifestyle. Everyone smiled and acknowledged you each morning and in passing. "Namaste!"

We camped, cooked and slept in a herders open shelter. It was dry and warm around the fire.
We had a real cook. He prepared a separate meal for me than the crew. The meals were varied with plenty to eat.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I saw a rock another before me had written the altitude in blue paint.

While on the mountain hunting we had tea a couple times each day along with a simple lunch.

When we found the sheep they were high in the cliffs near the top grazing and bedded watching constantly. I was told Snow leopards are quite plentiful and kill many of the sheep. The sheep are wary and bolt if there is scent in the wind!
A plan was made to cross into the next basin, gaining elevation to get above the rams. We always climbed at a slow, steady pace. Never in a hurry. Slow and constant wins the race. We never really stopped for breath, just keep climbing. I used trekking poles always which really helped my endurance. Grit and fortitude. Grit and fortitude! They had told me stories of a few previous hunters who gave up 100 yards below where they needed to climb to make a shot. I was determined and had set my mind previously that wasn't an option. NEVER give up!

We reached the position in the rocks that would allow us to find the sheep below if they were still there. We glassed then moved slowly. Glassed and moved slowly searching. The young guide spotted the rams below. We got to a position 120 yards straight above the sheep but the rocks were curved preventing me from getting a clear shot. My barrel would not clear the rocks to give me a steady shot. We decided to move a bit to our right. My guide slipped falling on his back from the wet loose scree. I had my rifle. Damn if I didn't do the same thing! Plus I bumped my Swarovshi x5i 5-25x but not hard enough to worry. I checked it and wiped off a little mud from the objective bell. Moving on I chose a nice outcrop I knew I could shoot from. Got in position. Very steady and calm. Watched the sheep trying to choose the best old ram. Steady hold...broadside standing...squeezed the trigger...BOOM! Freaking MISSED over the top! Sheep flooded to the right to escape. My heart sank! I was devastated! The two guided ran following the sheep to our right. I followed. We crossed two ridges quite quickly surprisingly enough. We saw the sheep climbing and feeding going up the far side of the basin. I quickly ranged them with the Kahles at 275 yards. I used my scope to try to still choose a old ram. They were not moving fast. Just slowly climbing and nibbling grass. Range again...375 yards. Good rest with my bipod. Looking at rams walking. I find one that looks to have chipped horns. Quick range...452 yards actual, angle compensator shows me 386 yards. I look at turret to make adjustment and it's set on 475! My slip and bumping scope had moved my turret from being set at my zero stop to higher clicks. I dialed back to 375 yards. Told the guys to "Watch"....squeeze...BOOM!...HIT!

Ram runs laterally to the right leaving the group. I can't find him but the video guy has him in his camera trying to explain his location. I still can't see him but the guy tells me he is standing on a rock. I slide back to look in his viewfinder. I see the ram as he starts to tumble! What a freaking relief! He falls behind some cliffs out of view. We watch then my guide climbs up our ridge seeing the ram down.

The young guide and the warden scurry across the basin up to the ram. They drag him down the snow chute.

We look in the valley below to find four of the guys bringing baskets to pack the ram. They had heard the first shot so had been instructed to come at any shot.

We got to the ram. Congratulations. Photos. All happy now. What a relief for me to kill that ram. I will always check my turrets from now on. What a costly lesson that could have been. I still tingle about it when I think about that miss. I'm a pretty damn good shooter with lots of experience and excellent equipment. Truly was a shock to miss.

I got the ram I had dreamed of. 12 years old, broken tip, chipped worn horns. A true trophy in my eyes.

The guys stripped and cleaned all the intestines and stomach. Loaded them in a plastic sack. They packed the sheep whole in one basket down to camp. They are tough!

When at camp they full caped the animal. They stripped the meat which they dried over a smokey fire for preservation.

We placed some of the meat in the fire coals to cook turning as needed. This was sliced and eaten with a little salt. It's delicious.

This hunt is on my bucket list. Thanks for sharing. Very helpful description of the hunt process, including ups and downs. Congrats on a great ram!