Nepal Himalayan Blue Sheep March 2022

dukxdog

Lil-Rokslider
I just finished my Nepal Blue sheep hunt. Quite the adventure. Took SIX DAYS to obtain the rifle permit after arriving in Kathmandu! Our government is bad enough. There are only 18 Blue sheep permits issued in Nepal so not many rifles enter customs.
During that time I visited Hindu and Buddhist temples dating back to 1400BC. I also watched the 24hr per day cremations in various stages along the river at the Hindu temple.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I bought a hand pounded Chakra healing bowl and beautiful Thangka art made by a grand master with 24kt gold. I don't often buy "trinkets" but these were awesome works of art! Mine only took three months to complete with brushes with 3-5 hairs for bristles! The one behind me took the artist 9 YEARS from start to finish!
After getting through the rifle red tape, we boarded the chopper for a two hour ride to the Dhorpatan Hunting Reserve where I met the crew consisting of guide, assistant guide, interpreter, Government warden, videographer, cook and eleven sherpas all packing gear. We packed up heading on our two day journey to the hunting camp area.
Lunch consisted of pounded dry rice with peanuts spread on a tarp for all to eat. These guys are small and tough. They each carry about 45 kilograms in those baskets strapped to their foreheads. They never miss an opportunity to eat with nothing ever wasted. They eat rice with some animal protein every meal. I don't say "meat" because often the protein is guts and all internal organs.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
We topped a pass with prayer flags for safe journeys during the second day. I'm 65 years old. They would not allow me to carry any items. My guide carried my day pack and rifle. We started the trip at 4700 feet and would be hunting at 14500-15500 feet elevation for the sheep. I worked my ass off for two months on the stair master with 25lbs on my back and 3 pound weights on each ankle. I dropped a total of 28 pounds before the hunt. Every ounce I lost and muscle I built would help me endure the possible 12 day hunt!

OP
dukxdog

dukxdog

Lil-Rokslider
These are the mountains we hunted. Nothing is flat. Herders bring their livestock here in the summer to graze. There are huts and stock enclosures all over the mountains. It's a primitive life which has existed for thousands of years. I was amazed at all the houses constructed of stone with stone wall fences and stone supported terraces where they raise their crops. All the mountains are terraced since nothing is flat. This infrastructure has been built over untold generations. They plow with a single plow using two buffalo. They hoe and seed by hand. Women and men both work the fields. I don't believe they have any recreation, only constant work to SURVIVE! I was truly humbled to see this lifestyle. Everyone smiled and acknowledged you each morning and in passing. "Namaste!"

We camped, cooked and slept in a herders open shelter. It was dry and warm around the fire.
We had a real cook. He prepared a separate meal for me than the crew. The meals were varied with plenty to eat.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I saw a rock another before me had written the altitude in blue paint.

While on the mountain hunting we had tea a couple times each day along with a simple lunch.

When we found the sheep they were high in the cliffs near the top grazing and bedded watching constantly. I was told Snow leopards are quite plentiful and kill many of the sheep. The sheep are wary and bolt if there is scent in the wind!
A plan was made to cross into the next basin, gaining elevation to get above the rams. We always climbed at a slow, steady pace. Never in a hurry. Slow and constant wins the race. We never really stopped for breath, just keep climbing. I used trekking poles always which really helped my endurance. Grit and fortitude. Grit and fortitude! They had told me stories of a few previous hunters who gave up 100 yards below where they needed to climb to make a shot. I was determined and had set my mind previously that wasn't an option. NEVER give up!

We reached the position in the rocks that would allow us to find the sheep below if they were still there. We glassed then moved slowly. Glassed and moved slowly searching. The young guide spotted the rams below. We got to a position 120 yards straight above the sheep but the rocks were curved preventing me from getting a clear shot. My barrel would not clear the rocks to give me a steady shot. We decided to move a bit to our right. My guide slipped falling on his back from the wet loose scree. I had my rifle. Damn if I didn't do the same thing! Plus I bumped my Swarovshi x5i 5-25x but not hard enough to worry. I checked it and wiped off a little mud from the objective bell. Moving on I chose a nice outcrop I knew I could shoot from. Got in position. Very steady and calm. Watched the sheep trying to choose the best old ram. Steady hold...broadside standing...squeezed the trigger...BOOM! Freaking MISSED over the top! Sheep flooded to the right to escape. My heart sank! I was devastated! The two guided ran following the sheep to our right. I followed. We crossed two ridges quite quickly surprisingly enough. We saw the sheep climbing and feeding going up the far side of the basin. I quickly ranged them with the Kahles at 275 yards. I used my scope to try to still choose a old ram. They were not moving fast. Just slowly climbing and nibbling grass. Range again...375 yards. Good rest with my bipod. Looking at rams walking. I find one that looks to have chipped horns. Quick range...452 yards actual, angle compensator shows me 386 yards. I look at turret to make adjustment and it's set on 475! My slip and bumping scope had moved my turret from being set at my zero stop to higher clicks. I dialed back to 375 yards. Told the guys to "Watch"....squeeze...BOOM!...HIT!

Ram runs laterally to the right leaving the group. I can't find him but the video guy has him in his camera trying to explain his location. I still can't see him but the guy tells me he is standing on a rock. I slide back to look in his viewfinder. I see the ram as he starts to tumble! What a freaking relief! He falls behind some cliffs out of view. We watch then my guide climbs up our ridge seeing the ram down.

The young guide and the warden scurry across the basin up to the ram. They drag him down the snow chute.

We look in the valley below to find four of the guys bringing baskets to pack the ram. They had heard the first shot so had been instructed to come at any shot.

We got to the ram. Congratulations. Photos. All happy now. What a relief for me to kill that ram. I will always check my turrets from now on. What a costly lesson that could have been. I still tingle about it when I think about that miss. I'm a pretty damn good shooter with lots of experience and excellent equipment. Truly was a shock to miss.

I got the ram I had dreamed of. 12 years old, broken tip, chipped worn horns. A true trophy in my eyes.

The guys stripped and cleaned all the intestines and stomach. Loaded them in a plastic sack. They packed the sheep whole in one basket down to camp. They are tough!

When at camp they full caped the animal. They stripped the meat which they dried over a smokey fire for preservation.

We placed some of the meat in the fire coals to cook turning as needed. This was sliced and eaten with a little salt. It's delicious.

OP
dukxdog

dukxdog

Lil-Rokslider
This is an adventure and experience only a few will have. I'm very fortunate and humble to have been one of them. I knew I had to do this before I got any older. 65 is much different than when I was 45
smile

Thanks for reading and sharing my adventure.

CHEERS!

Clarktar

WKR
Incredible trip!

Nepal is on my short list (not specifically hunting).

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

manitou1

WKR
Awesome write up. Thanks for taking us along on the trip. Very interesting.
Man, looking at those little guys with those "packs" makes one want to send them a Kifaru, Kuiu, Mystery Ranch or something of the sort. Tough guys there. 🥴😁

schmalzy

WKR
Awesome write up and congratulations. Hell of an adventure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OMB

WKR
This is an adventure and experience only a few will have. I'm very fortunate and humble to have been one of them. I knew I had to do this before I got any older. 65 is much different than when I was 45
smile

Thanks for reading and sharing my adventure.

CHEERS!

congrats- and very cool write up, thanks for sharing.