New fly fishing setup suggestions needed

zacattack

WKR
Looking to get a new fly rod and tell and it’s a bit overwhelming with all the options. Pretty much just trout fish and the occasional bass. Was planning on a 6 wt. Have a budget of roughly $500, and would like to spend more of the money on a rod than reel. Just looking for some suggestions on where to start.

If it helps I’ll be stepping up from a Cabelas white river setup that I’ve been using for about 5 years.

Jimss

WKR
I’ve broken several sages on salmon sized fish but they are always good with their lifetime guarantees. No problem with smaller trout breaking rods. I’d go with 5 wt for trout. Bass depends on the size

I’m switching to echo rods for salmon. They seem less prone to breakage and are cheaper price.

dtrkyman

WKR
So many options, I have heard a famous fly fisherman call a fly rod an over priced pointing device. They are really proud of some of them and the guys using them for the most part would do the same with a 100$ rod!

St Croix are fantastic with a great warranty.

Unless you plan on a lot of streamer fishing a 6wt is too heavy for trout, I rarely use more than a 4 weight anymore.

Bass generally are 7 weight or more so it is hard to get a rod for both, you can just use smaller flies when bass fishing.

CoStick

WKR
The key is to just never try the higher end rods. The lower end are great and technology has come a long way. That being said a $300 rod and a $1000 rod you can tell a difference. Both catch fish. You can look used as well. Sage has a good warranty even if purchasing used Washington fly fishing forum has a great classified section.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would consider Moonshine fly rods. They have a lifetime warranty and you could get 2 rods for $400.00 to have a dedicated trout rod and same for bass

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It depends on the size of the water you're fishing, how far you are casting, what size flies you're throwing, and the size of fish you're targeting. I like big western rivers, throwing big flies so I generally use a fast action 6wt. You could use the fast action 6wt for bass as well. For laying down tiny dries on the surface you'll want a slower action rod.

I've had many rods over the years as I love testing stuff, but when you find the right rod it's a thing of beauty and you'll know it. It's kind of like picking a bow.....they all will work, but the right one you'll feel it.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would also say look at a four weight for trout and six or seven weight for your bass fishing. You’ll likely be throwing much heavier and wind resistant flies for bass and a six or seven medium to fast action will serve you well

Marble

WKR
Looking to get a new fly rod and tell and it’s a bit overwhelming with all the options. Pretty much just trout fish and the occasional bass. Was planning on a 6 wt. Have a budget of roughly $500, and would like to spend more of the money on a rod than reel. Just looking for some suggestions on where to start.

If it helps I’ll be stepping up from a Cabelas white river setup that I’ve been using for about 5 years.
I just went through this last year and decided to build my own. IIRC, a kit through Mudhole which was somewhere around $250 including the blank. Took a couple weeks to build it in the evenings. You can buy the kit and any brand of blank you want. It comes with enough glue and string to do several rods but only eyelets for whatever blank you order.

If you want a really top of the line rod, you can get an RL Winston blank for $550.

As for the reel, I ended up with a cabelas brand, large inner spool, disc brake for under $200.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

JoshOR

Lil-Rokslider
Echo is a great company in your price range. Excellent warranty with a quick turnaround. Reddington does good work in that $ range as well. Go wiggle a few at your local fly shop. Have fun!

sndmn11

WKR
I can wrap up a custom one pretty economically depending on the components you choose. North Fork (Gary Loomis' company) has top notch blanks. https://northforkcomposites.com/fly-rod-blanks/

Otherwise, I'd want to know what you are doing with that 6wt? Are you tossing triple nymph rigs and streamers? Dry flys on technical water? You don't have a preferred style yet?

Regardless I'd buy top notch line tapered for your typical payload (airflo is my preference), a $100 reel like a lamson liquid, and maybe look at getting two setups for your budget to cover different scenarios like a euro rod and a power rod.

It's an impossible question to answer here.

Your best bet is to go into an independent shop or Orvis if you have one nearby, and try a number of rods and lines. And buy there. Prior to that you may want to check out the Yellowstone Angler's rod shootouts for some general info and head-to-head comparisons.

I agree with the guys who advise a 4wt for trout and 6-7wt for bass. But you can catch both species on either size of rod, so that may be budget dependent.

FWIW, I have about 15 rods and use a Redington CT 4wt exclusively for trout. Unless I need to throw something bigger or punch through wind, then it's a 6wt T&T. I don't fish for bass.

Good luck.

OP
Z

zacattack

WKR
Thanks for the replies so far lots of good info.

Sorry I wasn’t more specific, primarily this will be for tossing streamers for browns.

sndmn11

WKR
Thanks for the replies so far lots of good info.

Sorry I wasn’t more specific, primarily this will be for tossing streamers for browns.

Oh man, scour the net and ebay for a 7wt st croix bank robber, 6wt would be second choice, and get a few different lines and heads. That rod has a superb taper for throwing baby beavers.

An echo streamer X looks like the evolution of that rod.

Beyond that I'd think about 8'6" or 8' rods on a fast action, and I wouldn't bother casting anything.

nrhardin

FNG
Check out Douglas for rods in the $300 range that overperform for the price. I’ve used my 5 weight for bows and browns, dollies, pinks, etc…Even a 30 lb king before. Paired with a decent reel and you’re set. Has a nice fast action for streamers but action is responsive enough for the occasional dry. Hucks weight well for nymphing larger water too.

Echo RL Winston and Echo as well.

Donjuan

WKR
I love my echo carbon xl. Great buy for the money. Reels aren't too important for trout. Lots of good options like lamson or reddington in that $150 range. Echo also makes solid reels for the money

I agree on the 6wt as a good starting platform for crossover fishing. Honestly if you are looking to do bass and streamers for trout I would go 7wt or even an 8wt(I seem to always opt for an 8 over a 7 plus it can cover light saltwater) but that’s only if you don’t plan to do much nymphing/dries at all. Otherwise I would go 6wt as a do it all rod.

For reel I’d do a lamson liquid. It can’t be beat for the money IMO. Redington and Echo make some good reels in that price range too.

I’d stay away from sage and redington. Both make good rods but They just changed their warranty so you’ll get roasted on repairs if you buy an older rod and once they quit making the rod if you buy a new one. Orvis gets a bad rap due to some past products and their clothing brand, but they guys currently running the fly fishing side are putting out some really solid products. The clearwater is a dang good rod for 200$. Another nice thing with orvis is that they will send you replacement sections on all new generation rods instead of having to send it in for repair. Echo makes solid rods in that price range too.

A good line can’t be overlooked. I’d vastly prefer a high end line and a cheap rod than vice versa. If you want a do all setup a clearwater with a lamson liquid 3 pack strung up with a SA mastery MPX and a SA
Titan sink tip would be a killer rig.

Is there a local shop that you like?

Buy what they sell and build that relationship.
Also…. This. Do this. If you don’t have a local shop, buy from a smaller shop that does online sales or call one and see if they will ship (ie not trouts or trident)