New Food Ideas Needed !!

ckstites

FNG
Getting ready for our annual archery elk camp and looking for some new dried food/snack ideas (been disappointed in many I have tried). What’s your #1 fave dried meal/pack snack that you take every year

Attachments

• E33ED1EF-C760-49D1-8813-73050469DB74.jpeg
    E33ED1EF-C760-49D1-8813-73050469DB74.jpeg
    194.6 KB · Views: 78

tsloniger

Lil-Rokslider
Following.

Always looking for new ideas.

Not dehydrated but we like bagels with PB, bacon and honey, vacuum sealed for our main lunch calories.

Old fashioned oatmeal with whole almonds and raisins, add a shake or 2 of cinnamon, packed in mylar bags fir convenience.

Mountain house meals ain’t bad for dinners. Not good for you but it’s only for a few days at a time.

Looking forward to hearing the ideas of others.

OP
ckstites

ckstites

FNG
Following.

Always looking for new ideas.

Not dehydrated but we like bagels with PB, bacon and honey, vacuum sealed for our main lunch calories.

Old fashioned oatmeal with whole almonds and raisins, add a shake or 2 of cinnamon, packed in mylar bags fir convenience.

Mountain house meals ain’t bad for dinners. Not good for you but it’s only for a few days at a time.

Looking forward to hearing the ideas of others.
Never thought about breaking out the vacuum sealer - perfect

Gerbdog

WKR
* Bfast - Dehydrated blueberries - dehydrated milk - dehydrated honey - Granola - add hot water and thats my upgraded oatmeal. Coffee of course.

* Lunch on the mountain - i bring a candybar and one of those "meal" bars - not glorious but gets me through a day and i'll usually leave an extra meal bar in the bag incase i have an animal on the ground to get me through dinner with meat on my back til i get a load out

* Dinner - Nothing fancy, i usually just do a dehydrated meal (all brands are basically the same to me although i avoid anything that says curry on it) that i add hot water too ... no energy for anything else ... i just hunted all day.
edit to add one thing i do for dinner: i'll bring chicken or tuna packets to add a protein boost to the dinner - just toss it in with the hot water. Post below reminded me i have those on hand as well.

Last edited:

trekinit

FNG
Breakfast - oatmeal packs with dehydrated blueberries or craisins poured in + granola bar
Lunch - 2x flavored chicken creation packs wrapped in tortillas + some more dehydrated fruits or nuts
Dinner - Pick up some risotto, couscous, and/or noodles and/or lentils, bring spices, hard cheeses that will keep in a pack, beans, more chicken packs and/or tuna and/or jerky and make my own random creation. Think chili mac, lentil curry, etc. I also supplement this with dehydrated backpacking meals.

Huntnnw

WKR
make my own cereal in vacuum packer with powder milk added and just add water in am. Same with oatmeal add whatever you like and just add hot water. I bring smoked fish quite abit on trips and summer sausage. Dinner like most is dehydrated meal and I prefer Peak refuel. My goats are along we bring in real food

SwiftShot

WKR
Ok, I have quite a few new things I have been doing.
1. Pre Made meals are insane in price. OMG, look up Hungry Hiker on Youtube. Tons of great food options for you. Simple things you can do yourself. Ziplock Freezer Bags take boiling water just fine.
2. www.montyboca.com That website is backpackers all sharing their favorite meals they make for the back country. Some are really good and most are off-the-shelf things put together for under 4 dollars each.
3. Hungry Hiker who I mentioned early has a great shelf stable breakfast bar you make yourself.
4. For off-the-shelf stuff I like the breakfast bar made by Off the Farm.
www.offthefarm.com/collections/shop
Really good bars and after reading the ingredients I made my own off their apple Cinnamon ones. A batch of 9 I think I have like 10 dollars in on ingredients.
5. Do not forget the backpackers' Ramen bomb www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAf33JBLDWk It is pretty good for the end of the day after you have hiked to death.
6. Knorr Rice and or Pasta Sides are great too. Easy to do in the pot or if you make a bag cozy for your ziplocks you can use them instead. I do the pasta sides with a packet of tuna or a packet of spam.
7. Pita Bread or Tortilla and peanut butter and jelly packets. You can pick them up from Walmart cheaply.

SwiftShot

WKR
I forgot the most important thing ever. COFFEE Omg Coffee is a must for me.
Trader Joe's has instant coffee with cream and sugar that is really good and a box of ten is 2 dollars. Not a bad price. It only works if you have a Trader Joe around as you try and buy it off Amazon and it is 10 dollars a box instead.

PaBone

Lil-Rokslider
I don't like all the salt and spices added to the packaged dehydrated meals. I take some of the Knorr rice packages like cheese and broccoli and lots of the Starkist tuna and white chicken soft packs. I take a roll of soft tortilla wraps and roll up tuna, chicken or peanut butter to make a sandwich. Usually have oatmeal for breakfast with instant coffee. I do like the Peak Refuel mountain berry for breakfast and take a half dozen of them with me.

Seamaster

Lil-Rokslider
Good quality bagels with peanutbutter in ziploc bags. It's a favorite of many long distance runners and there is a lot of variety in bagels flavors available.

mlgc20

WKR
My favorites:
  • Nuts.com - Create your own custom trail mix
  • Packit Gourmet - Texas State Fair Chili, Diner Deluxe Scrambled Eggs, Tex-Mex Breakfast Tacos, All-American Works Burger, & Sante Fe Corn Pudding
  • Pinnacle Foods - Tuscan Chicken with Penne Pasta & Chipotle Beef Burrito Bowl
  • Outdoor Pantry - Turkey Dinner, Gyro with Tzatziki Sauce, & Beef Stroganoff
  • Peak Refuel - Chicken Pesto Pasta, Breakfast Skillet, & Chicken Teriyaki Rice
  • Greenbelly Bars with Justins Hazelnut Butter
  • 5th Avenue Bars
  • Cholula Hot Sauce packets

I like mixing the Costco salted almonds in with their cashew clusters. Man those are good. Plus it replenishes salt you're losing from being on the move all day.

favorite new meal I added last year was vac sealed raw oats, dried blueberries, shredded coconuts, dried cranberries, walnuts, and dried coconut milk powder. Just boil water, dump the pouch and water into a bowl, then put one of those squeeze peanut butter packets on top. man, it’s so good I eat it all the time in the off season.

if I make it back to camp at night I do tacos a lot. Super easy. Cook ground beef In a pan, put it in a shell, dump salsa on top. Done. Easy.

also do the same with making burgers and use English muffins for the buns for extra calories. Put ketchup on top, done. Easy. Then You’re off to bed.

can’t go wrong with the probar meal bars either. Lot of calories for the weight.