New from PA heading to CO for a late season Rifle hunt

PhillyJoe

FNG
Heading to CO for a late season rifle hunt in Oct, 2023. Friends turned me onto this Forum for advice on equipment purchases for the trip. Fat 48 yer old guy got to get in shape so I'm not a liability to my buddies. Any advice on workout routines would be appreciated.

Heading to CO for a late season rifle hunt in Oct, 2023. Friends turned me onto this Forum for advice on equipment purchases for the trip. Fat 48 yer old guy got to get in shape so I'm not a liability to my buddies. Any advice on workout routines would be appreciated.
I have a few buddies out in PA who come out here regularly. They are in their 50s and are pretty successful during the archery season. Getting in shape is key. My workout routine is a lot different from theirs. They spend a few days a week with a pack on going up and down stair cases and hills. Diet tends to be the downfall of many and is key to losing weight, building stamina, and strength. Start with what you can do and stay disciplined. Good luck to you.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Yoder

WKR
Check out the Fitness for Hunters section on here. There's a ton of info from guys that do it all the time that know way more than I do. I live in NE PA. I've never been on a western hunt but if it was me, I would work up to hiking for miles on the biggest hills I could find with a weighted pack. Stair climber, squats of every kind. Step ups with a weighted pack. Anything to build leg strength and endurance. Every 5lbs you lose, add that to your pack. A weighted pack has a special kind of suck to it. I've been thinking about doing a hunt in the next few years. Good luck.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new member.

Eddie

OP
P

PhillyJoe

FNG
I have a few buddies out in PA who come out here regularly. They are in their 50s and are pretty successful during the archery season. Getting in shape is key. My workout routine is a lot different from theirs. They spend a few days a week with a pack on going up and down stair cases and hills. Diet tends to be the downfall of many and is key to losing weight, building stamina, and strength. Start with what you can do and stay disciplined. Good luck to you.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Thank you for the comment. Discipline like you said will be the key for me. I have a terrible diet but I understand what it will take to get ready. I lived in Coeur D'Alene, ID for 5 years and archery elk hunted those mountains. That was 15 years ago. Lots of work to do to get ready.

OP
P

PhillyJoe

FNG
Check out the Fitness for Hunters section on here. There's a ton of info from guys that do it all the time that know way more than I do. I live in NE PA. I've never been on a western hunt but if it was me, I would work up to hiking for miles on the biggest hills I could find with a weighted pack. Stair climber, squats of every kind. Step ups with a weighted pack. Anything to build leg strength and endurance. Every 5lbs you lose, add that to your pack. A weighted pack has a special kind of suck to it. I've been thinking about doing a hunt in the next few years. Good luck.
"a weighted pack has a special kind of suck to it" ---- Quote of the year! LOL