New Hunter Optics

gijosh316

FNG
I'm fairly new to using scoped rifles so I made an impulse buy that I'm not proud of with a vortex scope that has a huge objective lens which created several other issues. Having to use high rings, figure out the best way to get my face high enough, etc.

Long story short... I'm ready to ditch this scope. I'm still going with a vortex but I wanted to see what you guys would recommend from them. I'm using a savage 110 chambered in 300 win mag.

OP
G

gijosh316

FNG
I live in North Central Montana and will be hunting deer, elk, bear and antelope so I'd say 300 yards is about the maximum range shot that I'd take. I'd prefer not to dial but I'm open to advice if that would be something I should get used to.

Mosby

WKR
I am not an expert of Vortex product offerings but would get something in a 4x12 or 4x16 and no bigger than a 44 mm objective. That would be a nice all around scope. I would also get something with a simple reticle vs one of the long range systems, for what you are doing. Get the best scope you can afford.

Vortex diamondback 3-9x40 with BDC. Perfect all around scope for 400yards or less stuff. I’ve had one for 4 years with zeros issues, just ordered another for my wife’s rifle. $120 shipped demos/refurbs are available if you search google. You do not need anything more than this, but I would hesitate to buy less (ie crossfire).

Vortex diamondback 3-9x40 with BDC. Perfect all around scope for 400yards or less stuff. I’ve had one for 4 years with zeros issues, just ordered another for my wife’s rifle. $120 shipped demos/refurbs are available if you search google. You do not need anything more than this, but I would hesitate to buy less (ie crossfire).
I haven't had any experience with the 3-9x40 but I had a diamondback 4-12x40 that wasn't too bad, seemed to hold zero well, but the eye relief was too short. If anybody who hadn't shot the gun shot it, good chance they'd get scoped. I git used to it and knew how to shoot it, but I always thought about it. This was in a 308, so moderate recoil. Definitely would not want it on a magnum. The reticle is pretty awesome though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I haven't had any experience with the 3-9x40 but I had a diamondback 4-12x40 that wasn't too bad, seemed to hold zero well, but the eye relief was too short. If anybody who hadn't shot the gun shot it, good chance they'd get scoped. I git used to it and knew how to shoot it, but I always thought about it. This was in a 308, so moderate recoil. Definitely would not want it on a magnum. The reticle is pretty awesome though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Now that you mention it my wife got scoped really bad with it, but it was 30-06 hot loaded 165gr and an awkward angle. It doesn’t feel like short eye relief to me but I haven’t compared it to a whole lot either.

@gijosh316 for what you’re saying you want I would probably get a Vortex Viper HS. Online looks like you can get them around $330 in 4-16x44 which is a good choice for western hunting IMO. I prefer the Viper series to the Diamondbacks but some don’t think it’s worth the extra money.

If you have deals with any other companies I would say that Leupold makes some of the best bang for buck “set it and forget it” scopes with very clear glass for the price. They have some great options in the cheap to midrange pricepoints.

Leupold fx3 6 power scope is probably one of the best hunting scopes you can get. Good eye relief and good glass. It’s been my go to for years.
I've gone to a straight 6 power (Weaver K6) on my mountain rifle, and I love it. I wish I had switched sooner. Zero'd at 180 yards, the tip of the bottom post is 400 yards and halfway between the crosshair and bottom post is 300. Easy peasy. That scope is so sharp and bright that I swear I can see bullet holes at 300 yards with it. It would take a $400+ variable to keep up with the optics on that fixed 6, plus it's only 10 oz.

Wrench

WKR
At sub 300 yards and the recoil of a 300win....eye relief is a big concern. I too feel like you're hamstrung by brand loyalty. I just bought a pair of like new 4500 2-10's for 350 delivered. I'd take anything in the fixed 6's 3-9's and 40 and under objective sized that has good eye relief and optics....rainguard is a plus as well.

OP
G

gijosh316

FNG
Is Vortex really lagging that far behind? I'm not opposed to other brands by any means and I'm definitely open to all of your opinions. This is new territory for me so I'm gonna listen to the experts (all of you). I just figured I could get more scope for less with the discount I get from vortex.

Rich M

WKR
I have a scope with a 56mm bell and my shooting tightened up quite a bit once I dropped to a 40 mm scope on that rifle.

Don't get gagged by the buy the best stuff. This is all ford vs chevy territory. Some are selling scopes, some just really like what they have.

All brands have a signature version - Vortex Viper is the signature Vortex scope - it is the one that helped them achieve success. I have no idea about the diamondback versions but plenty of folks really like them. I'd probably prefer a Razor version (step up from Viper).

Thanks to our market society, most items of a similar cost will have a similar value. Some focus better, some dial better, some are better in low light, some do all the above. What I'm saying is that a $500 scope should function the same or similar to another $500 scope. The higher you go in value, the less difference between optics - it will be harder to denote why a $2,000 scope is better than a $1,500 scope. And it might not be worth it to you.

If you go and look thru a bunch of scopes in your price range, you will find one that fits your eye better, that you like better. BUT you have a decent discount so your $$$$ is getting a Vortex with a higher price tag/value compared to the other scopes.

If I was going below $250 it would be a Vortex Diamondback, below $500 it would be a Leupold VX-3i, below $1,000 it would be a Meopta. If I wanted the very best it might be a Swarovski.

Based on your question - you just want a scope for your gun and don't plan on doing anything fancy with it. Vortex is a good brand name.

If I was going below $250 it would be a Vortex Diamondback, below $500 it would be a Leupold VX-3i, below $1,000 it would be a Meopta. If I wanted the very best it might be a Swarovski.

Very best in rifle scopes is defiantly not Swarovski.... Especially with there tracking... .Supposedly with there latest scope they have fixed it. But there are a lot better options in the high end Rifle Scopes

OP
G

gijosh316

FNG
I'm considering the vortex viper HS 4-16x44 with BDC reticle. I've used a crossfire scope and wasn't impressed with the turrets. I wish I could afford a razor but that's not happening anytime soon. The viper HS series is right in my price range ($500 or less) and I the one above is well under my price limit.

Rodéo

WKR
I'm considering the vortex viper HS 4-16x44 with BDC reticle. I've used a crossfire scope and wasn't impressed with the turrets. I wish I could afford a razor but that's not happening anytime soon. The viper HS series is right in my price range ($500 or less) and I the one above is well under my price limit.
Not sure if your discount applies with refurbished optics but aaoptics has the razor hd lh riflescopes right at your price point. I ran the razor hd lh 3-15x42 for a while on my kowa 308 but I sold it and put on a tract tekoa 2.5-10x42. Both are great riflescopes and if tract is still running the closeout, the tekoa it is worth looking into. Great glass, no tracking issues so far, and we both have similar shooting situations i.e not planning on taking a shot past 300. The tract weighs 3-4 oz's more than the razor, around 20 oz total I think, so if weight is a concern I'd go with the razor hd lh.

Looking back not sure how smart it was to save ~200 or so by ditching the razor and going with the tract but I'm completely satisfied with tract. I figured I'd put the money towards ammo/target practice.

If you don't want to blow your budget, the vortex options like the diamondback and viper are good scopes for the money, I doubt you'd be disappointed with one of those but these are subjective decisions at the end of the day. You have to get behind a few pieces of glass and compare to be truly 'informed' about your buying decision.

Here is the link from aaoptics to the razor hd lh's. If they're still around when I buy my next rifle I'll be topping it with one of these. http://aaoptics.com/Razor-HD_c_128.html

Also, I looked into it and tract still has the tekoa line of riflescopes on closeout. $394 for 3-12x42 or $354 for 2.5-10x42. I looked into these riflescopes heavily before purchasing and it turns out they're produced by the same manufacturer in Japan (Kamakura). Doesn't mean much regarding the actual design(s) but it does tell you that both are built to the same qc standards and likely share similar glass sourcing. Having owned both, I can't tell a difference in optical quality between the two, turrets are a bit more positive on the tract and I like the traditional T-Plex reticle in the tract more than the G4 BDC reticle on the razor.

Here is the link for the closeout tekoa scopes: https://www.tractoptics.com/products/riflescopes?category=61

Good Luck!