New Maven Binoculars B1.2 and B6

Matt G.

WKR
Completely understand. They are like a pair of boots and unfortunately need to try a bunch on to decide what works for your eyes. I think you are looking at the right class of binoculars that should last you a long time.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

bigbuckdj

WKR
Man I would really try to get your hands on the ones you like. I’m learning as i try more and more binos that it’s really personal. I haven’t looked through b6s but I have some 12x50 meostars that are really great. I had some 10x42 meostars I loved too, something about the colors and depth of focus on the meostars just work for me. The next guy may hate them. Another Meopta plus, I had a pair slightly out of collimation and they sent me a new pair really quickly, the warranties for high end optics have all really stepped up it seems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firehawk

WKR
I think I counted 4 total in the last week but could be off.

I’m ultimately trying to decide between the Meostar and B6 or 1.2
Add the UHD on that list as well, as I think that glass is nothing short of fantastic.

I can get all at decent prices, just want something that’s a good middle man that will stay with me for awhile. EL’s are out as I get the rolling ball effect. SLC is harder to find than cheap gas right now 🤷🏼‍♂️
My buddy bought one of those pairs this past week. He has been comparing them to his B2 11x45 and has decided to keep them and sell his B2. Says that they are so close, he would prefer the size and weight of the 10x B1.2. His B2 will be listed sometime in the next few weeks I am sure.

I am keeping my eyes out for someone selling their 8x B1.2 to replace my B3 and B2 which I have sold over the past few weeks. But I am cheap and I am waiting for a deal like some we have seen. Regretted selling my B2 the second I did it. They are so good and I really do miss them. But I wanted to play around with some other stuff, including an older Swaro EL 10x42. If I could hold a 10x steady, I would run those and be perfectly happy, but I really struggle holding every 10x I have tried. So...8x is what I am leaning toward now.

I'm planning in buying a set before next year all I know is I can tell a difference between my buddies c3 and my nikon monarch 5s at about 400 yards

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

ZackP

WKR
I’m leaning heavily on the Meostar or B1.2. I know they’re top notch. Warranties on them all are fantastic (have used Meopta).

I have a few things that need upgrading this off season. Including 2 rifles and a bathroom remodel 😂

So I’m trying to let that factor in on price as well, but don’t want something I’ll regret. If I were to go B2’s I would honestly spend the extra coin and go UHD as I honestly believe they’re almost identical and would prefer a 10x over 9x and a 12x over an 11x.

As far as working for my eyes…. For what ever reason the Trinovid HD’s have been my benchmark, even over similar options (Conquest, HG, Razor, even the Genesis).

Really wish the SLC weren’t discontinued as those are the only ones I’ve personally used that have checked all my boxes.

Anyway, hi-jacked the thread enough I suppose. On a side note, Mil discounts make this even harder 🤷🏼‍♂️

Matt G.

WKR
I picked up a pair of 8.5x42 el for reasonable price and they are great to my eyes, not my wallet. Anyways I was almost debating to say screw it and go to the NL's.

Hoodie

WKR
Reviving an older thread I know….
But am I the only one whose noticed the amount of B1.2’s in the classifieds lately?

Curious as to why. Are these close to, or fall short of the UHD/Meostar?

I picked up the B1.2 8x42 and the B6 12x50. Sold the B6 cause I didn't need both. The 8x42 is my personal favorite bino I've used in the $1k range. I've had Razors, Meostar HD, Monarch HG, both B2 models, and Torics at one time or another.

Optics wise it's every bit as good as the Meostar HD or Monarch HG, but it's lighter and handier than the former and seems a little more durable than the latter.

I had the 9x45 B2 before the B1.2. Difference optics wise seems pretty minimal. Not enough to warrant the size/weight of the B2 for me.

ZackP

WKR
I picked up the B1.2 8x42 and the B6 12x50. Sold the B6 cause I didn't need both. The 8x42 is my personal favorite bino I've used in the $1k range. I've had Razors, Meostar HD, Monarch HG, both B2 models, and Torics at one time or another.

Optics wise it's every bit as good as the Meostar HD or Monarch HG, but it's lighter and handier than the former and seems a little more durable than the latter.

I had the 9x45 B2 before the B1.2. Difference optics wise seems pretty minimal. Not enough to warrant the size/weight of the B2 for me.
How’s the edge clarity on the 8’s?

Also we’re the Meo and HG 8’s as well or 10’s?

And lastly, did you compare the B6 and 1.2?

Hoodie

WKR
The B1.2 has pretty minimal field curvature, but it's there. It's not a flat-field binocular, but the sweet spot is plenty big, and the edges can be brought into focus. I owned the Meopta and Nikon at different times, so these aren't side by side comparisons or apples to apples magnification wise. The Meostar was a 12x50. The Nikon was a 10x42. The B6 and B1.2 glass quality seemed completely comparable to me.

Meostar- Least chromatic aberration. Heavy and bulky (but durable). Least eye relief (for 8x and 10x as well). Seemed maybe a smidge less bright to me.

Monarch HG- Best FOV in 10x or 8x. Lightest and most compact. Some noticeable CA towards the edges of the field of view. Maybe some durability concerns due to the light build and minimal armor. Very bright.

B1.2- Little bit heavier than the HG (3 oz), but sturdier. CA less noticeable than HG. Plenty bright. Loads of eye relief.

Honestly can't go wrong with any of the three. I'd base the decision on how important eye relief, weight, and CA are to you. They're all great binoculars.

Nillion

Lil-Rokslider
Monarch HG- Best FOV in 10x or 8x. Lightest and most compact. Some noticeable CA towards the edges of the field of view. Maybe some durability concerns due to the light build and minimal armor. Very bright.

Based on the numbers given on their respective websites, you're right on Monarchs winning on FOV in the 8x, but in 10x, the b1.2s supposedly have the same FOV of 362 ft. I haven't compared the two side-by-side in real world conditions so I can't say if that's accurate though.

rj2

WKR
I'm in the same boat, looking to upgrade my tract tekoa 8x42 truck binos. I use b3 8x30 mostly but want good glass for glassing fields at night so want good low light. Id also like to be able to use them out west when I'm not going ultralight.

Looking at the b1.2 10x42, b2 9x45 and the b6 10x50.

Sled

WKR
I'm in the same boat, looking to upgrade my tract tekoa 8x42 truck binos. I use b3 8x30 mostly but want good glass for glassing fields at night so want good low light. Id also like to be able to use them out west when I'm not going ultralight.

I use the same b3 8x that you do for most of my hunting. Fantastic archery glass for me. I noticed the SLC was considerably better at first/last light. If the 1.2 is similar then I'd look that way.

Since you mentioned tract, I also have the toric in a 10x42. Great glass as well but 10min difference at last light compared to the SLC

Nillion

Lil-Rokslider

I have no issue glassing with my b1.2 10x42s until last light. I don't have experience with the other models so I can't compare them.

sndmn11

WKR
Reviving an older thread I know….
But am I the only one whose noticed the amount of B1.2’s in the classifieds lately?

Curious as to why. Are these close to, or fall short of the UHD/Meostar?
I sold 10x so that I could get 8x, as I had them side by side since my wife ordered 8x when I ordered mine. I was REALLY hoping someone would just trade me their 8x for my 10x, but it didn't work out that way.

Mostly agree with Hoodie‘s assessment but differ on the impact of color in the B1.2. Refer to my quick review (post #125 on 27 Sep). Bought a B1.2 8x42 and direct compared to MHG and SLC. Did a lot of comparison through use in a wooded environment with huge variations in light. Found the B1.2 a very well made binocular, and the view crisp, bright, wide-FOV and huge sweet-spot. Where I found the image a bit lacking was color saturation/color contrast - giving it a slightly whiteish tone. While resolution was about equal, I felt colors popped more from the MHG and SLC - which translates into slightly better ability to spot and pull out subtle differences (spotting and determining whether that dark blob 250 yards away is a deer or bush). Just my take and some others may see it differently. But I tried the Maven B1.2 and ended up returning them - I’m a huge fan of the Maven demo program as it got me to try a set. And this really isn’t designed to be slam of the B1.2. On the contrary, if I didn‘t already own an MHG and SLC, I‘m confident I’d have kept and have been very satisfied with the new Maven - which I definitively think are an improvement over the B1s.

Last edited:

rj2

WKR
Can one of you guys with the 1.2 tell me which direction the focus knob works?

Matt G.

WKR
Sorry I take that back. You are correct it is too the right or clockwise

Last edited:

rj2

WKR
I feel like it was the standard direction of my others. Infiniti is to the left. But when you want to see superclose you need to start to the left move right but when using normally start on right and move to left.... it is same with swaro or meopta or gpo and alpen that I used.

Thanks, the b3 and b6 are clockwise to infinity, was wondering which way this is as I decide between this and b6

Matt G.

WKR
You are correct now that I am looking at them. Clockwise same as others