New member heading on my first elk hunt this fall

Pocoloco

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats, most important gear I would recommend: mountaineering boots that have 100 miles on them. Wife and I love our zamberlan 2090s but each foot is different, we have thin feet. We moved out west and side hilling or climbing in our regular hiking boots sucked. A stiff boot sucks on flat terrain but shines in the steeps. Have fun

Laramie

WKR
Hello. New to the forum heading out to Colorado for my first guided elk hunt this fall excited and trying to get prepared !
Congrats. The main things to focus on;
1- If you aren't already, get yourself in good shape.
2- Make sure you have quality clothing and footwear appropriate for the hunt.
3- Practice a lot with your weapon. You may only get one shot, make sure you can make it.
4- Go into the hunt with a great confident attitude. Be a nice guy who let's the guide do his job.

Let the outfitter and guides handle the rest. Take more pics than you think you need. Above all, let yourself enjoy the experience and avoid stressing yourself over the harvest. It will happen.

Welcome,
Not sure where you are from, but get in shape for CO. you do not need to be super man, just ready. Don't focus on filling the tag only, that is a plus. ENJOY what is all around you. Good luck, its not all You Tube

OP
eriknezbeth
Rifle hunt on a rfw ranch. Im from Ohio and it is my first trip west further than just inside Missouri. Best of all I get to experience it with my 83 y/o grandfather. We’re hunting buddies here in Ohio and after years of talking about his previous hunts out west I decided it was time to do it with him. I’m most excited about the whole experience and if we harvest a bull or two it’s just a added bonus to our trip ! Thanks for the input I will appreciate all of it .

Patriot2

Lil-Rokslider
Be in shape and if in steep terrain you need boots with the knob pattern sole. I would not trade my Danner Elk Hunter boots for anything else out there. I have not seen a sole pattern that can keep up with the knob sole on these things on wet steep slopes. My backup boot is a Cabelas boot with the same sole pattern.

cnelk

WKR
Here's a recent thread you may be interested in

Wolf_trapper

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot your rifle at 400 at least and get it dialed in for everything in between the muzzle and whatever you're comfortable shooting. Practice shooting prone and getting setup for a shot. That will make a big difference if you're successful or not.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new member.

Eddie

I’m in the same boat. Lifelong hunter, but first elk hunt Nov. ‘22.

Headed to Montana.

Been on here snooping about gear recs. From TX to Montana is gonna be a lot different!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

good luck, sounds like a special hunt for all involved. I’ve found the prep is part of the fun. Quality socks are sometimes over looked. Cotton is not your friend.

OP
eriknezbeth
I bought a set of crispi idahos a couple months ago. I’ve been trying to get some miles on them. They just feel odd to me. I tried on a pair of kenetrek and they were definitely not for me. I have a regular arch and put some super feet trailblazers in them . If I lace them tight I get very uncomfortable in the shin area after a short time. If I loosen them up I get a small bit of heel movement and after about 4-5 miles my heels hurt on the back almost like there out of the heel pocket. I hope they come around or I’m going to go a different direction.

atrip07

FNG
Enjoy you hunt. Good gear and good optics will only add to you comfort and experience. Upgrade everything you can.

Super tag

WKR
one can’t emphasize enough to be in the best shape possible, I’ve met a lot of guys from the East that thought they were in hunting shape only to find that they really weren’t, one canyon can ruin you, the air is thin.
also, the boots you wear will also make or break your hunt. Long days on your feet, the terrain that elk live in can be devastating if you don’t have the right boots.