New Mexico 16B Packers/Wranglers

Lordnorvelli

FNG
Classified Approved
I have drawn an elk tag in NM 16B (Southern Gila). I have been considering hiring someone to take me in with my gear and pick me up at the end. The first quote I received seemed quite high to me. $1300 in and out on horseback and another $850 if I have to haul out my elk quarters. I have called another packer but have yet to receive a quote yet. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

PAhunter58

Lil-Rokslider
Can't help with other potential packers. But that is the going rate in a captured market in those units. Not all that much competition and most packers/guides are probably already booked. They throw out a big number cause it's all gravy.

jcor

FNG
Up in norther NM I was quoted 250 a horse either packing or riding one way.

pokorn28

FNG
I just had an elk packed out of 16B from 6 miles in the woods.

Packer said he normally gets $300 to mobilize then $50/mile in/out.

Wilderness packouts seem to be expensive in general.

If you want, PM me and I’ll give you the number to the guy I used. He is hit/miss if he can get off work to come help but he does live in Reserve.

John

chops24

WKR
i hope you have a late rifle hunt if you are just now planning this. Ive taken a couple bulls out of B. it can be done solo but is NOT easy. that rate will probably be about what you are going to find.

OP
L

Lordnorvelli

FNG
Classified Approved
I just had an elk packed out of 16B from 6 miles in the woods.

Packer said he normally gets $300 to mobilize then $50/mile in/out.

Wilderness packouts seem to be expensive in general.

If you want, PM me and I’ll give you the number to the guy I used. He is hit/miss if he can get off work to come help but he does live in Reserve.

John

I would love to get that info from you but for some reason I can't PM people???

codym

WKR
Not sure why you waited so long to start looking for a packer. If anyone is available its definitely gonna cost you.

Brooks

WKR
You guys who complain about and think it’s easy getting an elk packed out don’t know what you’re talking about. You will spend $500 or more on a pack, $300 on a jacket, $150 on a pair of pants, $100 on one broadhead , $8000 on a LO tag. I’ve packed 5 bulls out this year and 3 of them would never have gotten out with out the horses because they died in big, steep, steep, hell hole canyons ( always easy chasing a bull down hill, it’s getting back up that hurts) that the dudes really shouldn’t have been in. One pack out took 2 full days because we had a horse get his leg hung up in some dead fall and we had to unpack him to just get him out and that cost me so far $800 in vet bills and he is still lame, I’m damn lucky I didn’t have to put him down in that canyon. If a guy can get an elk packed out for $300 jump all over it . My prices are going up.