New Mexico Draw

hunting1

WKR
Every one of the units in orange has a 50% or higher elk draw odds for resident for either archery or ML.
View attachment 274505
34 and 16B/C are not easy to draw. The rest of them there are not many elk to be found on public land. You are better off hunting coyotes and hiking. North part of 23 you have a chance at a good bull but may not see one in a week and lots of competition on water holes.

No points, so even low odds you are crazy to not apply IMHO. Good luck!

Thomas11

WKR
34 and 16B/C are not easy to draw. The rest of them there are not many elk to be found on public land. You are better off hunting coyotes and hiking. North part of 23 you have a chance at a good bull but may not see one in a week and lots of competition on water holes.

So you are saying there are very few elk in 21A,37,52,13,55A or even 12?

34 and 16B/C are not easy to draw. The rest of them there are not many elk to be found on public land. You are better off hunting coyotes and hiking.

I guess I don't understand your comment. 16B/C had over 50% chance to draw the early September archery tag last year for residents. 16E both Newberg and Jacobsen have shot archery bulls on public, so it's clearly doable there. One of those northern units had 2 really nice bulls shot and the video posted on YouTube last year, and that was on public. The 34 tag is a December archery tag but that's better than not hunting especially considering there aren't any bonus points you have to burn and there's some monster bulls. To each their own but I'd take every one of those options over hunting coyotes and hiking.

The only time I ever bought one, I killed a buck. I guess it depends on if you want to hunt or complain. 🤷‍♂️
Exactly. That’s all that has to be said over the whole debate. Utah residents make the same claims every year. Do these people realize if they could draw the tags they want every year then those units wouldn’t be desirable to hunt anymore? Can’t have an unlimited or high number of tags and keep the quality of the hunt.

stonewall

WKR
I remember a couple years ago, NMG&F posted on their facebook page that the draw results were available - there were scores of residents on there griping about how they never draw a tag bc NM gives so many tags to non-residents and not to residents. it's almost laughable.
in addition to the info above, ALL cow tags go to residents

ATL

FNG
I was eligible for resident NM tags for 6 seasons, 2011 - 2016. I drew four MB Elk tags (Sacramento's and Gila), three Mule Deer buck tags (unit 32 , 2C), one Coues Whitetail buck tag (unit 27), and two Javelina tags. An mix of archery and rifle. Overall I was very happy with my opportunities while living in NM. In years I did not draw NM I hunted Elk and Deer in WY.

I was eligible for resident NM tags for 6 seasons, 2011 - 2016. I drew four MB Elk tags (Sacramento's and Gila), three Mule Deer buck tags (unit 32 , 2C), one Coues Whitetail buck tag (unit 27), and two Javelina tags. An mix of archery and rifle. Overall I was very happy with my opportunities while living in NM. In years I did not draw NM I hunted Elk and Deer in WY.
That 2C tag is one of the best in the country too, how’d it go?

WRO

WKR

My buddy's killed 2 bulls in 2 days in 23, I hunt a unit that has no public elk and sucks from what everyone says..

It's horrible .. it's 80% draw odds for residents on a not late archery hunt.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

CAM_D

FNG
That 2C tag is one of the best in the country too, how’d it go?

Cold! That was 2018 and antler growth wasn’t amazing. I shot an ok buck on day 4. That afternoon it warmed up into the 30s after being sub zero lows and highs in the teens. Bucks came out of the woodwork and my buddy missed shots at several bucks much bigger than I shot. It is a great tag with big bucks, but not my style of hunt because the best way to find deer is from one of the many roads in the unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Usi05

WKR
Jumped in without my az results. Strongly unlikely I draw either tag but let’s gamble!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gila

WKR

Thanks...i was wonderin how 23 and 37 were doing. Ain't got them 50% odds nary more!

hunting1

WKR
My buddy's killed 2 bulls in 2 days in 23, I hunt a unit that has no public elk and sucks from what everyone says..

It's horrible .. it's 80% draw odds for residents on a not late archery hunt.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I am sure your buddy scouts and spends time there. Most NR that come in the day before will probably not be as lucky. The north part of the unit gets crowded. It has the Gila and AZ bulls so there is a chance a at a monster.

hunting1

WKR
I guess I don't understand your comment. 16B/C had over 50% chance to draw the early September archery tag last year for residents. 16E both Newberg and Jacobsen have shot archery bulls on public, so it's clearly doable there. One of those northern units had 2 really nice bulls shot and the video posted on YouTube last year, and that was on public. The 34 tag is a December archery tag but that's better than not hunting especially considering there aren't any bonus points you have to burn and there's some monster bulls. To each their own but I'd take every one of those options over hunting coyotes and hiking.
If you are on par with Corey Jacobson than I am sure you will get it done. Look at the average success rate in the unit. Good luck!

If you are on par with Corey Jacobson than I am sure you will get it done. Look at the average success rate in the unit. Good luck!
I mostly included Corey as a joke, since there’s a recent thread bashing him as a bad elk hunter for shooting immature bulls. Wasn’t sure if anyone would catch that. He’s a much better elk hunter than me, but Randy isn’t exactly a great archer and he got it done.

I’ll still stand by my point though, I’d take that tag over hunting coyotes and hiking. I’d like to think most Roksliders who frequent the elk forum would agree. Best bull I’ve ever taken was on a tag with a significantly worse success rate than 16E early archery has, and you can’t kill a bull sitting at home wishing the success rates were better. Good luck to you as well! Or to anyone in the draw, goodness knows we need it!