New Peax sleeping bag

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Years ago I worked with a handful of companies and one of the owners told me Pro staff doesn't mean somebody's a professional. It means promotional staff, they are there to promote products. Somewhere along the way people conflated it and turned it into professional. I never looked at anybody marketing a product the same way. I also lost interest in working with any company exclusively.

huntnful

WKR
So what's everyone's favorite 15deg sleeping bag?
I use quilts personally. And I love my enlightened equipment quilts with 950 fill. I have a 40, 20 and 0 degree quilt. I use the ones with a sewn in footbox.

I’ve never had any issue freezing to death in the morning and wanting to wear my sleeping bag around. I just get dressed and go hunting. I’ve done a few cold hunts also. When it’s cold, I normally wear a few layers to bed anyways.

IMG_9399.jpeg
IMG_7255.jpeg
IMG_7621.jpeg

TheTone

WKR
I have an older montbell down hugger in the 15 range I really like, my wife has some wm bag that seems great. My favorite bag I have is a zero degree cabelas instinct. It doesn’t compact enough for me to want to backpack with it but I always sleep great in it car camping

The good news is that if you ever had a warranty issue with FF you can call and talk to someone without a translator.
Funny you bring that up I called them before I ordered because I had a few questions between some of their bag models. It was like talking to a friend that’s extremely knowledgeable about sleeping bags and down. Phenomenal customer service. Sidenote, I asked them about treated down and they again said they have been testing it and it still has not proven to be better than untreated down for the following reasons: treated down degrades the down overtime which means the longevity of non treated down is superior. and you cannot get treated down in 900 fill power, therefore loft Will always be better with untreated down.

Last edited:
So what's everyone's favorite 15deg sleeping bag?
Price point is a big factor. The easy answer is Festhered Friends or Western Mountaineering any models in the 15 - 20 temp range. I’ve owned both so I have first hand experience. Don’t be scared to get a 20° model in either of those two brands because when you actually look at the tested temp rating they are about the same as many other brands 10 or 15° bags. Stone Glacier chilkoot 15 is also a very good bag that I’ve used extensively as well. it’s a little cheaper then feathered friends and western mountaineering and it’s true to its temp rating. Feel free to DM me if you got any specific questions. The key to buying a warm bag is knowing the fill power and the fill weight. And when comparing across brands make sure you compare similar specs, meaning same circumference and length.

Last edited:
I'm going to chime in here for some clarification.
While I liked the idea of the Sitka sleeping bag there are some things I did not like, first thing was it is synthetic and will not pack down very small. Also synthetic bags tend to be a bit cheaper than this.

1) I have actually seen the Solace bag in person and played around with it. On that note, I will say I'm impressed with this bag. The 850+ fill is hydrophobicly treaded, much like many other down bags on the market.

2) For those of you chatting about not being made in the US, I understand that you want to buy American. Good for you however, I've counted 11 sleeping bag and quilt companies that are made in the states. These companies mostly ONLY make sleeping bags and a few other garments. That is what their factory is set up for making and nothing else. Not trekking poles, not backpacks, not pots, not shelters. To build a new factory and produce quality down sleeping bags would be a huge undertaking for a small business. Not super feasible.
Many of our packs are made overseas but assembled in the states. Mystery Ranch (and a few others) are actually sewn in the US. Fully made here.

3) The weight of this bag is 2.3lbs in a regular. Ya, a little heavier than say the Kuiu 15 bag which is 1 lb 15.7 oz (just a tad under 2lbs) but look at where the weight is. The Peax bag has 3 more ounces of down than the Kuiu bag. More insulation=more warmth. Plus the heavier duty foot box for condensation issues will add a touch of weight.

4) I personally like the thought-out features of this bag. The arm holes, and center zip I appreciate as this makes tent time more livable. I don't like having my zipper on my bag against the tent wall but sometimes that's where it needs to be. The fact that I can tuck away the hood and run this as a quilt is a big bonus during the early season hunts. Very handy feature.

5) Peax is based in Bozeman with a staff of around 5 hunters. They've been around for about 3 years. As they grow I'm sure they will add more positions such as a CS team. They probably don't have a phone number because they wouldn't be able to get much other work done like order fulfillment.

All in all I like this bag. I think it will complement my tipi and hunting camping trips. It may not be for everyone but it's good to have choices. You choose what will work best for your situation and I will choose what works best for my situation.

I think we should be grateful to have another hunting company that will push the boundaries of product development. Not many of us hunters are headed into the bush with wool, lard, and a bit of sourdough anymore. We've got camp stoves and freeze-dried meals.

On a parting note, every check out slingfin tents?

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'm going to chime in here for some clarification.
While I liked the idea of the Sitka sleeping bag there are some things I did not like, first thing was it is synthetic and will not pack down very small. Also synthetic bags tend to be a bit cheaper than this.

1) I have actually seen the Solace bag in person and played around with it. On that note, I will say I'm impressed with this bag. The 850+ fill is hydrophobicly treaded, much like many other down bags on the market.

2) For those of you chatting about not being made in the US, I understand that you want to buy American. Good for you however, I've counted 11 sleeping bag and quilt companies that are made in the states. These companies mostly ONLY make sleeping bags and a few other garments. That is what their factory is set up for making and nothing else. Not trekking poles, not backpacks, not pots, not shelters. To build a new factory and produce quality down sleeping bags would be a huge undertaking for a small business. Not super feasible.
Many of our packs are made overseas but assembled in the states. Mystery Ranch (and a few others) are actually sewn in the US. Fully made here.

3) The weight of this bag is 2.3lbs in a regular. Ya, a little heavier than say the Kuiu 15 bag which is 1 lb 15.7 oz (just a tad under 2lbs) but look at where the weight is. The Peax bag has 3 more ounces of down than the Kuiu bag. More insulation=more warmth. Plus the heavier duty foot box for condensation issues will add a touch of weight.

4) I personally like the thought-out features of this bag. The arm holes, and center zip I appreciate as this makes tent time more livable. I don't like having my zipper on my bag against the tent wall but sometimes that's where it needs to be. The fact that I can tuck away the hood and run this as a quilt is a big bonus during the early season hunts. Very handy feature.

5) Peax is based in Bozeman with a staff of around 5 hunters. They've been around for about 3 years. As they grow I'm sure they will add more positions such as a CS team. They probably don't have a phone number because they wouldn't be able to get much other work done like order fulfillment.

All in all I like this bag. I think it will complement my tipi and hunting camping trips. It may not be for everyone but it's good to have choices. You choose what will work best for your situation and I will choose what works best for my situation.

I think we should be grateful to have another hunting company that will push the boundaries of product development. Not many of us hunters are headed into the bush with wool, lard, and a bit of sourdough anymore. We've got camp stoves and freeze-dried meals.

On a parting note, every check out slingfin tents?
Peax doesn't own a single factory. They slap their brand on imported gear. Stop apologizing for them. They are marketers, not manufacturers. The lack of CS for what they charge for their gear is totally unacceptable in this day and age. At least Sitka CS responds, and takes care of any problems. Peax gets argumentative with customers as has been discussed on this board and others already. They aren't doing themselves any favors by deleting comments on social media, and blocking users for asking questions either. The price they're asking for an imported bag with mediocre customer service is out of line, considering you can get a made in USA bag for less money with a proven track record. No matter what their paid influencer shills try to tell us.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

TheTone

WKR
Peax doesn't own a single factory. They slap their brand on imported gear. Stop apologizing for them. They are marketers, not manufacturers. The lack of CS for what they charge for their gear is totally unacceptable in this day and age. At least Sitka CS responds, and takes care of any problems. Peax gets argumentative with customers as has been discussed on this board and others already. They aren't doing themselves any favors by deleting comments on social media, and blocking users for asking questions either. The price they're asking for an imported bag with mediocre customer service is out of line, considering you can get a made in USA bag for less money with a proven track record. No matter what their paid influencer shills try to tell us.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
Saw a long post from one of the people involved with Peax yesterday essentially calling hunters out for not all banding together and being upset whenever we question companies and people. It was gross IMO. Can’t take some criticism maybe stay away from making everything you do public and running a business