New Sitka Kelvin Aerolite Jacket

KineKilla

WKR
I will keep on keepin on with my KL Hoody and vest. Until they get torn or need to be replaced that is.

I see their intent was to appeal to it being warmer when wet but I always try to stay dry in the first place by carrying rain gear. Kelvin items are not rain gear nor are they windstopper so to make one good when wet seems a little off to me.

Warmth for weight however I have yet to find anything better. I like to throw my jetstream over the top when the wind is blowing.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

LostArra

WKR
I will keep on keepin on with my KL Hoody and vest. Until they get torn or need to be replaced that is.

I see their intent was to appeal to it being warmer when wet but I always try to stay dry in the first place by carrying rain gear. Kelvin items are not rain gear nor are they windstopper so to make one good when wet seems a little off to me.

Warmth for weight however I have yet to find anything better. I like to throw my jetstream over the top when the wind is blowing.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk
Agree. If someone is soaking their down insulation to the point it's ineffective then there are other importatnt clothing issues to address.

I agree with a couple guys in here, I think I like my Kelvin light a bit better. Especially since I use it as a pillow.

If anyone wants a L NWT Aerolite hoodie send me a pm.

Kotaman

WKR
I have all four and will use all four. My initial take without putting the Aerolite to the test in the field yet:

*Kelvin Lite - Feels more “substantial“ than the new Aerolite but the Aerolite is supposedly warmer. I still like this one for “general use” but don’t pack it with me on mountain hunts as there are lighter, warmer options.

*Kelvin Down Hoody - This has become my “go to” puffy. It’s light, packable and warm enough. I gotta believe they’ll replace it with something other than the Aerolite, but maybe not.

*Kelvin Aerolite - With what little Ive played around with it, I’m impressed. If it’s as warm as the Kelvin Ultra Down, it will be a huge hit for sure. It’s lighter than the KL, more packable and should layer better as it’s not as “puffy”.

*Kelvin WS - This is a beast of a jacket. Mine is reserved for my Kodiak trips and late season hunts. Too bulky for general mountain hunts, but this jacket is a beast.

I like and will use all 4 of these. In fact I’ve sold all my other puffy’s (Kuiu, First Lite, Kryptek, Mountain Hardware, etc) and ”settled“ on these 4 for now.

Though the verdict on the new Aerolite is still out, I think it’s going to be a winner in my Arsenal.

Last edited:

wa_archer

FNG
let you know in a few weeks, got the aerolite vest on the way. Tried it on in sportsman's and was instantly warm, was super light weight and compressed down really well. For me going to be another option for those shoulder season times or morning prior to the sun coming up where i dont want the full puffy on.

montei

FNG
Does anyone have any insight on how it compares to the kuiu Kenai ultra?

Nillion

Lil-Rokslider
Is it just me, or does the Aerolite sound significantly louder than the Kelvin Lite? I handled it a bit in store and while I wouldn't mind wearing the KL for archery, the Aerolite is a definite no go for that in my opinion.

excaliber

WKR
I'm not sure if I missed it but it sure doesn't seem to be much lighter than my Kelvin Lite hoody. One thing I do like is it appears to be less bulky. It would probably fit under a shell better and allow for another under layer.

Spark352

Lil-Rokslider
In hand, the aerolite does feel to be lighter than the kelvin lite hoody. It's definitely less bulky and layers better. Not sure if it will be any warmer. As noted previously, the aerolite does appear to be louder, may need a few washes to soften up. Looking forward to trying it this fall.

7raptor

Lil-Rokslider
Would this new jacket make it as a standalone puffy for CO archery elk for the more warm blooded among us? I'm thinking with a fleece midlayer and a rain jacket for the wind I could make this work pretty deep into the season here in Iowa but I have no mountain experience.

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk
I've worn mine in the snow on a deer hunt with an apex hoody underneath...it's not perfect but it works great.

Does anyone have additional comments on this jacket now that its been out for a bit? I am looking for a lightweight puffy to use as a mid layer. Looking at this vs. things like the Arcteryx Atom LT or Patgonia Nano air

7raptor

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have additional comments on this jacket now that its been out for a bit? I am looking for a lightweight puffy to use as a mid layer. Looking at this vs. things like the Arcteryx Atom LT or Patgonia Nano air
I own all 3
Patagonia has the best fit and good as an outer layer for mild weather
Arcteryx is a mid layer and fits tight
Sitka is warmest, is an outer layer, not a mid layer, and sizing is ridiculous. I’m 5’8” 155 and could wear an XL.

Dkuczek

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Own the Atom LT and Aerolite now. Brought the Aerolite with me Moose hunting and it did ok. Didn't get the cooler temperatures to really test it. As for fit I felt it's identical to my old Kelvin Lite hoody just less restricted in the Forearms. Atom LT I wear as a daily jacket when it gets cooler so can't comment on its usefulness hunting

sneaky

"DADDY"
I own all 3
Patagonia has the best fit and good as an outer layer for mild weather
Arcteryx is a mid layer and fits tight
Sitka is warmest, is an outer layer, not a mid layer, and sizing is ridiculous. I’m 5’8” 155 and could wear an XL.
Weird. I'm 6'3" 200 and the Aerolite XL fits fine. Sleeves are actually too long for me on the XLT. The Montane Ground Control jacket uses Cross Core Silver insulation and is much warmer than the Aerolite jacket. I think the Aerolite uses Cross Core Gold.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the inputs. I'm worried about using any of these as an outer later since I'm mostly going through brush and dead trees in the desert that will shred them. Still leaning towards the Atom LT that I'll throw a softshell over. I'd also like to be able to wear it casually around town and the Atom fits that bill as well.

Dkuczek

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I dont think you can compare the ATOM LT and Aerolite for warmth. The CLO values and weight of material are completely different. The Aerolite feels more durable than the Atom tho

Definitely fits in line with most other Sitka pieces. I wear XL in everything Sitka except the Down WS and the heavyweight hoody I wear a L in both. Doesn’t feel much different to me warmth wise compared to the Kelvin Lite hoody, but is less bulky and for me the kelvin lite was bordering on spandex in the forearms. The aerolite fixes that perfectly. If anything the body of the Aerolite might have just a hint more room in the body than the KLH.

Got the Aerolite as a replacement for my mid weight down layer (17 oz core4element jacket) when wet conditions are expected to be used under a rain layer. I used it over a merino layer for CO muzzleloader at 11k and its surprisingly too warm to hike in for very long even in cold mornings with frost (mid 30s). Impressed for what it is thus far. 6'1" 200 and XL fits well.