New Springbok bipod feedback wanted?

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Howdy Roksliders! I'm an Oregon based rep for Spartan Precision Equipment, and we just launched something totally different. The Springbok Bipod mounts magnetically to your same Spartan adapter and uses our same carbon Pro Legs, but what makes this one different is it uses a flexible silicone joint that enables you to make rapid height and cant compensation without the need for mechanical adjustment. With 10 - 46" of height range, the idea here is to give you maximum portability for the medium range shots we most commonly encounter on game.

I'm really curious what you think and where you can see this being most useful?

Springbok 1.jpg

The10%

Lil-Rokslider
I'm always looking for the perfect bipod, and have yet to find it. I need somthing for prone, or can kneel and get above the ferns. It needs to be light, quick to attach, quick to adjust.... Sounds like it checks a lot of the boxes. Glad to see spartan think outside the box, really interested on how well it performs with recoil.

atmat

WKR
I really appreciate the original idea and innovation. But I’m not sure I understand why having a less stable joint would be helpful in shooting — particularly so far ahead of the natural balance point of a rifle.

I imagine I’d much rather use trekking poles, my pack turned vertical, or an arca/tripod.

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm always looking for the perfect bipod, and have yet to find it. I need somthing for prone, or can kneel and get above the ferns. It needs to be light, quick to attach, quick to adjust.... Sounds like it checks a lot of the boxes. Glad to see spartan think outside the box, really interested on how well it performs with recoil.
Here is a video link of Joseph von Benedikt shooting with the bipod. Looks like it moves with the recoil

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Can you explain the thought process behind believing that a bipod that jiggles/floats after you shoot being a good thing?
Good question, and one I asked the designers too. To gain something (speed of position adjustment), you've got to give something. I can't stress enough that this is designed for medium ranges (200-400 yds), where they found that it was real stable through the shot sequence, and what happened after the shot broke didn't negatively affect the field accurately they were going for.

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I really appreciate the original idea and innovation. But I’m not sure I understand why having a less stable joint would be helpful in shooting — particularly so far ahead of the natural balance point of a rifle.

I imagine I’d much rather use trekking poles, my pack turned vertical, or an arca/tripod.
See the response I gave to Formidilosus.

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Is it what it looks like and just a flexible joint that has play in it so you can manipulate it without unlocking anything?
Yes, that sums it up well. I think it would be handy where there is brush you need to shoot over. It's got the height if you need to do a kneeling or sitting shot, but can also splay way out to give you the option of shooting prone. Here is a video of a shooter using it to change positions fast, which is sometimes a reality in the field.

Tmac

WKR
Howdy Roksliders! I'm an Oregon based rep for Spartan Precision Equipment, and we just launched something totally different. The Springbok Bipod mounts magnetically to your same Spartan adapter and uses our same carbon Pro Legs, but what makes this one different is it uses a flexible silicone joint that enables you to make rapid height and cant compensation without the need for mechan
Interested in this bipod, but concerned about the flexible joint splitting up the middle. I used a similar design for medium range hunting to about 350, worked very well, but those had a tendency to split, the pole cat rapid pivot iirc. Is there some design feature to prevent them splitting, beyond the silicone compound?

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I shot this 2 weeks ago with Rob and I can tell you the genius in it is how insane simple it is too use and adjust fast to a new position. Several of us were able to hit a 450 yard target on the first shot. It's plenty stable to get the job done.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Looks amazing. When wilt it be available?
Available now!
Here is a video link of Joseph von Benedikt shooting with the bipod. Looks like it moves with the recoil
It does move a bit, but so does a hard bipod with anything bigger than a 6.5. The Video really does not do this thing justice, it is so easy to shoot and get on a target. Coyotes are going to hate this thing. Until I shot it I was not 100% on board, but now I believe this should replace all shooting sticks.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Can you explain the thought process behind believing that a bipod that jiggles/floats after you shoot being a good thing?
Its the fact the bipod flexes forward and back, that's what helps you get and stay on a moving target that a solid bipod struggles with. More flexibility than a normal bipod, but more stability than shooting sticks.

I ordered one the first time they came out. Initial impressions echo all the good that's been said. The issue I had was that it doesn't seem to have a minimum height for prone shooting. Without enough angle for the ends of the legs to bite into ground (like they would when seated or kneeling), the legs splayed straight out like Bambi on the ice---forcing me to lift the forend of the rifle up with my left hand. Akward, but doable.

I wrote Spartan and they confirmed that this was not normal and are expediting me a replacement before my next hunt. Would be glad to know if others had a similar issue or not.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Its the fact the bipod flexes forward and back, that's what helps you get and stay on a moving target that a solid bipod struggles with. More flexibility than a normal bipod, but more stability than shooting sticks.

Yes, and then flexes all over the place during and after the shot removing any possibility of seeing your own impact or staying on the animal.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yes, and then flexes all over the place during and after the shot removing any possibility of seeing your own impact or staying on the animal.
All I can tell you is try it, I think you will figure it out, it is an amazing tool that is missing in the market place. Shot off sticks well over 100 aninals in my life, this is a way better option. There is no seeing your impact with any really large caliber hunting rifle anyway, I am a lot more worried about the first shot. It also is so quick when it comes to target acquisition it does not matter, I can honestly say it might be quicker than a standard bipod on the second shot. Almost freehand if you will with some stability. If you can get on the animal free hand then it's the same thing. I would not knock it until you give it a try. This is not a BT 72 atlas Bipod, Ascent tripod, a 10 pound arca tripod, it's not a precision tool, it's another tool for a different situation like predator control and it flat works. The experts who have used it are all impressed. If you get up to Utah hit me up will meet you at the range.

Last edited:
All I can tell you is try it, I think you will figure it out, it is an amazing tool that is missing in the market place. Shot off sticks well over 100 aninals in my life, this is a way better option. There is no seeing your impact with any really large caliber hunting rifle anyway, I am a lot more worried about the first shot. It also is so quick when it comes to target acquisition it does not matter, I can honestly say it might be quicker than a standard bipod on the second shot. Almost freehand if you will with some stability. If you can get on the animal free hand then it's the same thing. I would not knock it until you give it a try. This is not a BT 72 atlas Bipod, Ascent tripod, a 10 pound arca tripod, it's not a precision tool, it's another tool for a different situation like predator control and it flat works. The experts who have used it are all impressed. If you get up to Utah hit me up will meet you at the range.
HA, did you have any issues with the springbok when getting into prone position. When I mounted it to my 9lb rifle and got into prone the legs splayed out to the point where the rubbery head of the springbok was touching the ground. Way too low for a prone shot unless I gripped the fore end of the stock and lifted it up awkwardly. Wondering if that’s normal or if I got a bad copy.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
HA, did you have any issues with the springbok when getting into prone position. When I mounted it to my 9lb rifle and got into prone the legs splayed out to the point where the rubbery head of the springbok was touching the ground. Way too low for a prone shot unless I gripped the fore end of the stock and lifted it up awkwardly. Wondering if that’s normal or if I got a bad copy.
If I was prone I think I would just use a Bipod, never tried getting into prone with it unfortunately. I think we all used it sitting or kneeling. It can be used in positions hard sticks or a standard bipod would never work. You can also jump to a new position no different than if shooting freehand, but a lot more stable of course. When Rob first told me about it I wasn't sold, but once I got to shoot with it, it was almost laughable how easy and quick it is to use. Folks keep comparing it to a bipod or a tripod and it's not those things at all.

I am not sure on your question, do me a favor and take a picture of it prone, how low is it? I have seen pics of it being used prone, seen videos also. I have some landing finally next week, I have only played with one so far a few weeks back. I'll take some pics prone also and send them to you as well. Worst case I'll get you another one to try.

SpringBokBipodBrushSeated_600x.jpg

SpringBokBipodCantAdjustment_600x.jpg

SpringBokBipodSeatedShooting_600x.jpg