New Springbok bipod feedback wanted?

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Couple months still, he is making the carbon a bit thicker, better feet, and an option to make them a bit taller. We have 50 or so coming into the US in around May or June, about 25 pair are sold already. They will be a big improvenet over traditional African sticks. Just the fact the front stays attached makes moving positions really easy vs setting the sticks up again.

tpicou

Lil-Rokslider
Couple months still, he is making the carbon a bit thicker, better feet, and an option to make them a bit taller. We have 50 or so coming into the US in around May or June, about 25 pair are sold already. They will be a big improvenet over traditional African sticks. Just the fact the front stays attached makes moving positions really easy vs setting the sticks up again.
Ballpark price?

Hammsolo

Lil-Rokslider
Why do we work so hard to have sand bags set up for a smooth clean consistent slide while shooting groups? Wouldn’t we want a tool that creates a smooth consistent recoil to creat a reliable zero? Is the Springbok too soft? I’ve watched and experience many tripods create jumps and grabs on tables and rocks when shooting. Does that effect POI?

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Why do we work so hard to have sand bags set up for a smooth clean consistent slide while shooting groups? Wouldn’t we want a tool that creates a smooth consistent recoil to creat a reliable zero? Is the Springbok too soft? I’ve watched and experience many tripods create jumps and grabs on tables and rocks when shooting. Does that effect POI?
The Springbok is NOT a precision tool, these are hunting sticks. I would not zero my rifle in on sticks or a tripod ever, I would use a bipod and a bag. Completely different tool. This is too add some stability and quick shots for say predators, antelope, deer etc while kneeling or sitting only.

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Hotest selling item at Western Hunt and SCI. I wasn't a Believer until I played with them some either. There isn't a better tool on the market for fast Target acquisition with the ability to follow the animal It's almost dummy proof it's so good.

Three of us shot the Springbok for several hundred rounds. It behaved as expected. It’s floppy. It’s sloppy. It floats all over, it collapses, it jumps during recoil, it’s slow to adjust, etc. I wouldn’t say it is useless, but in every case it was slower to get setup than a pack or hiking sticks, less stable, way more movement during recoil- zero chance of spotting your hit or miss; the position has to be “rebuilt” after almost every shot, any surface that it can’t bite into or grab it slides very easily, etc, etc.

Look at the muzzle while aimed in-
IMG_6782.jpeg

Versus recoil-
IMG_6783.jpeg

Nothing helps shooting more than your muzzle dropping 8-10” at each shot.

When used prone, you must support the front of the rifle-
IMG_6780.jpeg

Because if you do not it randomly slides/breaks out from under you and drops your muzzle into the snow.
IMG_6781.jpeg

Prone it was no real help over just shooting prone unsupported.

Aimed-
IMG_6784.jpeg

Full recoil (look close and you can see the muzzle blast)
IMG_6787.jpeg

A simple hiking stick is every bit as stable, much faster to set up, and much easier to track through recoil.

Hammsolo

Lil-Rokslider
I just received mine and am stoked to try it out. The build quality seems great, and it should for the price.

I think it sets up super quickly and easily. The magnet system should prevent any stock slip.

It does seem too soft, but I’ll need to test in the field. I wonder if it will soften more with use. Will they use more spring steel and/or stiffer silicon after feedback?

I think the feet are awesome for tall shots, but need a redesign to maintain more textured contact with the ground as they splay. This could prevent having to support the rifle.

I think it has real potential. We will see.

I probably won’t be able to get out this weekend, but hopefully next.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Three of us shot the Springbok for several hundred rounds. It behaved as expected. It’s floppy. It’s sloppy. It floats all over, it collapses, it jumps during recoil, it’s slow to adjust, etc. I wouldn’t say it is useless, but in every case it was slower to get setup than a pack or hiking sticks, less stable, way more movement during recoil- zero chance of spotting your hit or miss; the position has to be “rebuilt” after almost every shot, any surface that it can’t bite into or grab it slides very easily, etc, etc.

Look at the muzzle while aimed in-
View attachment 680495

Versus recoil-
View attachment 680496

Nothing helps shooting more than your muzzle dropping 8-10” at each shot.

When used prone, you must support the front of the rifle-
View attachment 680497

Because if you do not it randomly slides/breaks out from under you and drops your muzzle into the snow.
View attachment 680498

Prone it was no real help over just shooting prone unsupported.

Aimed-
View attachment 680500

Full recoil (look close and you can see the muzzle blast)
View attachment 680501

A simple hiking stick is every bit as stable, much faster to set up, and much easier to track through recoil.
Are you saying you thought the Springbok shooting sticks increased the recoil on your rifle? A rifle will recoil and jump off regular shooting sticks as well, the only difference is they're not attached to the rifle and you have to reposition the rile on them while holding them with your other hand. That's what shooting sticks are.

Shooting prone I reccomend a bipod or small tripod.

You think you can shoot/hunt more accurate free hand too 300 or 400 yards than with sticks? I call total BS sorry. Pretty sure most of us understand on here that if you can add stability you add accuracy. Prone on a tripod is always the best option.

I think you were looking for way too much in a pair of shooting sticks and all rifles jump, it's called recoil. Your rifle will not stay put free hand either, it will jump up. When you shoot free hand you have to hold the rifle more study with both hands you can't get relaxed, when you shoot with sticks you can relax and concentrate on accuracy. When shooting sticks you still have the option of holding the rifle firm to prevent as much jump also if you choose. Most of us would use the off hand to support the back of the rifle allowing more jump. If you look at the pictures you're posting that's exactly what you were doing, holding the back of the rifle. You can't do that freehand. If you're not holding the front of the rifle then yes the rifle's going to jump more. Not sure what you expected a rile with one hand holding it to do besides jump a lot?

Will sticks get you a better shot on a walking coyote a few hund hundreds of yards out? Answer is yes and not even debatable, any shooting stick will.

They were designed by a professional predator manager. I stand behind the product, think it does 100% what it's supposed to. I think you were looking for too much out of a simple pair of super light attached shooting sticks. This is not a 4 pound ARCA rail tripod or precision tool.

ljalberta

WKR
Are you saying you thought the Springbok shooting sticks increased the recoil on your rifle? A rifle will recoil and jump off regular shooting sticks as well, the only difference is they're not attached to the rifle and you have to reposition the rile on them while holding them with your other hand. That's what shooting sticks are.

Are we reading different posts? I don’t see that being said at all?

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Are we reading different posts? I don’t see that being said at all?
"it jumps during recoil", it’s slow to adjust, etc.

A rifle always jumps during recoil, especially when you don't hold the front of the rifle which is what the Sringbok allows you to do, one of the benefits. The extra hand on the back of the rifle is always beneficial. Not sure what the reviewer expected to happen? So I was asking does it jump more because of the sticks or did they expect a few ounces to hold the rifle in place like a rifle strapped in a lead sled?

Shoot a .505 Gibbs with not holding the front of the rifle and it'll be over your shoulder...;...lol

I would think with some large rifles on regular BOG sticks you risk the entire front of the rifle completely falling to the ground if it jumps off the sticks? A lot of people end up having to holding the sticks or the rifle, in Africa you hand is usually on the front of the sticks or the rifle since you are dealing with large recoiling rifles. The Springbok allows the off hand to be completely free because the sticks are stuck to the rifle, same concept with a bipod.

See the 2 pics below. Guess what I am saying is the reviewer didn't quite understand the benefits he was actually using nor did he mention them and was looking for way too much out of a simple tool to help get a little more accurate in hunting only scenario. Hunting can happen fast and that's what this was designed to aid. He wasn't shooting any better free hand that I guarantee and wasn't getting more freedom out of regular sticks.

IMG_6782.jpeg

OIP (8).jpg

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Are you saying you thought the Springbok shooting sticks increased the recoil on your rifle?

No. Where did I state that?

A rifle will recoil and jump off regular shooting sticks as well, the only difference is they're not attached to the rifle and you have to reposition the rile on them while holding them with your other hand. That's what shooting sticks are.

Please point out where I wrote “shooting sticks”.

Shooting prone I reccomend a bipod or small tripod.

And in every other position a hiking stick used as a monopod is faster, as stable, and does not break down every shot and have to be rebuilt. In every position other than prone, two crossed hiking sticks with loops linked is just as fast as the Springbok, much more stable, doesn’t break down under recoil, and the rifle tracks consistently and predictably during recoil- spotting one’s own hits is relatively easy- not so with the Springbok.

You think you can shoot/hunt more accurate free hand too 300 or 400 yards than with sticks?

Is that what I wrote? Because I’m pretty sure it isn’t. I stated-

“Prone it was no real help over just shooting prone unsupported”

The main target that the 3 people shot is 15” at 510 yards.

The wobble zone is slightly better with the Springbok prone- if time is taken to make sure it is splayed perfectly, if not, it is not good; however, as soon as you shoot you loose the target, the rifle jumps left/right/down/up- there’s no rhyme or reason, and you must rebuild the position. Conversely in prone unsupported, the wobble zone is slightly larger (.2-.5moa) yet is consistent and repeatable. You watch your impact, run the bolt, and follow up with no issue.

I call total BS sorry. Pretty sure most of us understand on here that if you can add stability you add accuracy.

It isn’t- “does the Springbok add some level of stability to shots?” It’s- “does a $400 floppy, slow to adjust and setup, and unstable rubber legged bipod that does not allow you to spot your own shots- work better than $40 hiking sticks, a pack, tree limbs, etc.”

Prone on a tripod is always the best option.

Prone on a tripod?

I think you were looking for way too much in a pair of shooting sticks and all rifles jump, it's called recoil.

Please educate me about recoil, I’m sure that I have no idea what it is, or how to manage it.

Your rifle will not stay put free hand either, it will jump up. When you shoot free hand you have to hold the rifle more study with both hands you can't get relaxed, when you shoot with sticks you can relax and concentrate on accuracy.

If you do not hold the Springbok or the forend, the whole thing is a floppy, jumpy, mess.

When shooting sticks you still have the option of holding the rifle firm to prevent as much jump also if you choose. Most of us would use the off hand to support the back of the rifle allowing more jump. If you look at the pictures you're posting that's exactly what you were doing, holding the back of the rifle. You can't do that freehand. If you're not holding the front of the rifle then yes the rifle's going to jump more. Not sure what you expected a rile with one hand holding it to do besides jump a lot?

You mean like this?

IMG_6788.jpeg

IMG_6789.jpeg

IMG_6790.jpeg

The only way to make the Springbok functional is to hold it- as soon as you do that, it’s no better from that aspect than crossed hiking sticks, and way less stable during the entire shot process.

Will sticks get you a better shot on a walking coyote a few hund hundreds of yards out? Answer is yes and not even debatable, any shooting stick will.

Thats correct- any will. So why exactly is an expensive, floppy, slow to adjust, rubber jointed one that slides, jumps, and moves every time you touch the trigger a better choice?

They were designed by a professional predator manager.

Neat.

How does that have anything to do with its comparative performance against other alternative methods or designs?

I stand behind the product, think it does 100% what it's supposed to. I think you were looking for too much out of a simple pair of super light attached shooting sticks. This is not a 4 pound ARCA rail tripod or precision tool.

No, it’s a bad design for the full shooting process. But since you stand behind it- what’s the time to hit difference on say a 3-4 MOA target between carrying the Springbok in your hands, attaching it to the rifle, adjusting the leg length, leg angle, and burring the feet in so the don’t splay out; and say dropping a pack down to shoot off of from prone/sitting kneeling? And what’s the hit rate difference for first shot and follow up shots?
And then same for the Springbok compared to say two hiking poles, that are useful for more than one compromised thing?

Now, let’s get into the fact that friction locks for the leg adjustments randomly unscrew/unthread and you can’t lock down the adjustment until you stop, out the rifle down, use two hands on the leg, and reverse thread it. This happened 3-4 times in 20-25 strings.

Last edited:

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Do you have a compact bipod attachment that just incorporates the sling screw? I don’t a bulky picatinny setup.
There is a new Guide adapter that just goes over the swivel screw and the swivel screw doesn't have to be removed like the classic rifle adapter.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Being that I asked @Happy Antelope for the numbers-

100 yards
Kraft target
Kneeling for all shots
T3x Lite 308 suppressed, SWFA 10x, ROKStok
Hornady 155hr AMAX

Start position: Same for both Springbok and hiking poles- start standing, rifle chamver empty, mag in; bipod/sticks in hand fully collapsed.

On buzzer: load rifle, setup attach/setup bipod or hiking poles, go to kneeling shoot, reload, shoot.

Reset. Repeat 5x.

Springbok-

IMG_6864.jpeg
Average to 1st shot: 21.01 seconds.
Worst: 26.55 sec
Best: 16.88 sec

Average split: 4.88 seconds
Worst: 6.11 sec
Best: 4.17 sec

Average total: 25.93 seconds
Worst score on Kraft: 7
Average score in Kraft: 3.4
Total MOA size for 10 shots: 2.87 moa

Amount of impacts that were seen through the scope: 0

2x Hiking poles-
IMG_6865.jpeg
Average to 1st shot: 14.72 seconds.

Worst: 16.55 sec
Best: 12.93 sec

Average split: 5.75 seconds
Worst: 6.98 sec
Best: 5.04 sec

Average total: 20.46 seconds
Worst score on Kraft: 6
Average score in Kraft: 3.2
Total MOA size for 10 shots: 2.12 moa
Amount of impacts that were seen through the scope: 6

Conclusions:
IMG_6870.jpeg

Hiking poles were 30% faster to first shot
Hiking poles were 22% faster for two shots
Hiking poles shot a 6% higher average score
Hiking poles were 27% more precise
I understand what was trying to be achieved with the Springbok, but as the first day with three different solid shooters showed- it’s the execution that is lacking. A bipod joint that flops, sags, bounces, splays, slips, etc, etc. is not the way to good shooting. Yes, you can change positions quickly, but it takes so long to get the bipod legs set for a shot that the speed advantage is totally negated. It is also all but impossible to spot your own shots- during recoil the muzzle is like a canoe in the ocean, in a storm.

Dobermann

WKR
Being that I asked @Happy Antelope for the numbers-

100 yards
Kraft target
Kneeling for all shots
T3x Lite 308 suppressed, SWFA 10x, ROKStok
Hornady 155hr AMAX

Start position: Same for both Springbok and hiking poles- start standing, rifle chamver empty, mag in; bipod/sticks in hand fully collapsed.

On buzzer: load rifle, setup attach/setup bipod or hiking poles, go to kneeling shoot, reload, shoot.

Reset. Repeat 5x.

Springbok-

View attachment 681255
Average to 1st shot: 21.01 seconds.
Worst: 26.55 sec
Best: 16.88 sec

Average split: 4.88 seconds
Worst: 6.11 sec
Best: 4.17 sec

Average total: 25.93 seconds
Worst score on Kraft: 7
Average score in Kraft: 3.4
Total MOA size for 10 shots: 2.87 moa

Amount of impacts that were seen through the scope: 0

2x Hiking poles-
View attachment 681256
Average to 1st shot: 14.72 seconds.

Worst: 16.55 sec
Best: 12.93 sec

Average split: 5.75 seconds
Worst: 6.98 sec
Best: 5.04 sec

Average total: 20.46 seconds
Worst score on Kraft: 6
Average score in Kraft: 3.2
Total MOA size for 10 shots: 2.12 moa
Amount of impacts that were seen through the scope: 6
Conclusions:
View attachment 681276

Hiking poles were 30% faster to first shot
Hiking poles were 22% faster for two shots
Hiking poles shot a 6% higher average score
Hiking poles were 27% more precise
I understand what was trying to be achieved with the Springbok, but as the first day with three different solid shooters showed- it’s the execution that is lacking. A bipod joint that flops, sags, bounces, splays, slips, etc, etc. is not the way to good shooting. Yes, you can change positions quickly, but it takes so long to get the bipod legs set for a shot that the speed advantage is totally negated. It is also all but impossible to spot your own shots- during recoil the muzzle is like a canoe in the ocean, in a storm.
Nothing like hard data.

Thanks, as usual, Form, for going above and beyond to help the rest of us have useful data points.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
1/4 twist legs, you untwisted it way too far open.

Less than 2 seconds to open and close. Granted I have a ton of practic.

Were the poles already hooked together? How do those trekking poles work on uneven ground?

Last edited: