New Tikka Rifles Shot Show 2024

I’m glad Tikka offers so many varieties so long as I can still grab one of these for a reasonable price. It needs practically nothing to be all the rifle I need. Weatherby offers a dozen Vanguard models that offer almost nothing over the base model, but I don’t complain about that either. So long as the base model remains an option and we’re not all forced to buy roughtechs.

IMG_5125.jpeg

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider
Kalix Teknik makes a adjustable comb that you can add to the standard T3x factory stock and it only weighs 3.7oz.

Kalix Teknik makes a adjustable comb that you can add to the standard T3x factory stock and it only weighs 3.7oz.
I`m sure they`re fantastic. I`ll never be accused of being the handiest guy in the world, to put it mildly. The thought of taking a drill to my rifle stocks makes me break out in a cold sweat !! Tinkering with things, particularly things that already work pretty well ( taking things apart, making adjustments to whatever, unscrewing things, etc., etc ) seems to invariably lead to, " Why didn`t I just leave the damn thing alone! ".

76 years on the planet has led me to be a devotee of Dirty Harry Callaghan`s sage advice, " A man`s got to know his limitations. "

Gila

WKR
There are glue on cheek pads. Really one inch will probably fit most. Triad Tactical stock packs are very comfortable to use also. If you go with a low mounted scope with a 30mm tube/44mm bell, most don’t need a riser at all.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I`m sure they`re fantastic. I`ll never be accused of being the handiest guy in the world, to put it mildly. The thought of taking a drill to my rifle stocks makes me break out in a cold sweat !! Tinkering with things, particularly things that already work pretty well ( taking things apart, making adjustments to whatever, unscrewing things, etc., etc ) seems to invariably lead to, " Why didn`t I just leave the damn thing alone! ".

76 years on the planet has led me to be a devotee of Dirty Harry Callaghan`s sage advice, " A man`s got to know his limitations. "
Someone in another thread used Velcro and said it was solid and made cleaning great. Something for those in need to consider.

BryanL

Lil-Rokslider
I can’t say I’d run out and buy one for $1200, but I am glad they are even offering an iron sight op. Glad they shortened up the barrel and threaded at least for a .223 and .308 option. Enlarged bolt knob is kinda nice I suppose. Fluted bolt is not as cool for the debris factor, but I know lots of manufacturers are doing it because it looks sexy and sexy sells….

Not a fan of increased cost for the rough tech stock personally, and I’d be curious if the weight is still in the 6-6.5lb zone. I too am disappointed there isn’t at least a 6mm creedmoor or 6 ARC. These new models feel like they appeal to a practical rifle type crowd or the “irons only” crowd. I could see the value here on the Oregon coast range in the jungle or perhaps as a basic truck rifle out on a property. Seems like they kind of wanted to dip in the Ruger American audience for some reason? It would be interesting to hear the marketing folks explain where the market demand/inspiration came from.

Not running out to sell my tikkas for some of the new jazz yet. I wonder if SWFA will start releasing new (or consistent stuff).

Tahoe1305

WKR
All those are .73” muzzle thickness. So thick enough to thread….they are already threaded 5/8s.

The barrels aren’t slow. The chambers are long. Results in lower than normal pressure with factory loads, which makes them a bit slow. If you hand load it’s an advantage. You can load out closer to the lands and pick up some bonus velocity over a standard throat and handloads loaded to close to SAAMI specs.

The factory magazine and BM offering is by far the lightest on the market of any gun type. I’ve seen minimal reports of issues with them. It is plastic and that bothers some.

To each their own.
Hate slow tikka barrels. 6.5C 24” factory D18 w/143 eldx (OAL 2.92”). 80 rounds down. 3 rounds only for pressure tests. Don’t plan to go any higher but zero pressure signs (swipes, bolt lift, velocity spikes, clickers, primer flow, loose pockets).

Attachments

• IMG_9829.jpeg
    IMG_9829.jpeg
    347.6 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_9821.jpeg
    IMG_9821.jpeg
    234.2 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Dobermann

WKR
Woah! I only just saw this thread ...

And have clearly missed out on all the fun:

1707617593561.png

Redneck-children's-bicycle guy gone? Our signal-to-noise ratio might have a chance of getting back to what it once was ...

1707617636932.png

Glad you've been holding the fort, @Reburn. I owe you and whichever mod grabbed the ban hammer a cold one.

Outcast

FNG
Hate slow tikka barrels. 6.5C 24” factory D18 w/143 eldx (OAL 2.92”). 80 rounds down. 3 rounds only for pressure tests. Don’t plan to go any higher but zero pressure signs (swipes, bolt lift, velocity spikes, clickers, primer flow, loose pockets).
What bullet are you shooting or did I miss it?

D R T

FNG
Slower barrels with factory ammo.
All those are .73” muzzle thickness. So thick enough to thread….they are already threaded 5/8s.

The barrels aren’t slow. The chambers are long. Results in lower than normal pressure with factory loads, which makes them a bit slow. If you hand load it’s an advantage. You can load out closer to the lands and pick up some bonus velocity over a standard throat and handloads loaded to close to SAAMI specs.

The factory magazine and BM offering is by far the lightest on the market of any gun type. I’ve seen minimal reports of issues with them. It is plastic and that bothers some.

To each their own.
"...lower than normal pressure with factory loads... If you hand load it's an advantage." Hmmm are Tikka's equipped with sort of "Unknown" type of +p from the factory?

Tahoe1305

WKR
Slower barrels with factory ammo.

"...lower than normal pressure with factory loads... If you hand load it's an advantage." Hmmm are Tikka's equipped with sort of "Unknown" type of +p from the factory?
No just physics really. If the “chamber” is bigger than SAAMI, which some of them are then at ignition the cartridge expends much of that energy in the wasted space (vs cramming a bullet down lands). Therefore slower.

If you take up that space loading a bullet long this isn’t the case and you’ll have more room for powder.

It isn’t my thought. See below.

I’m glad Tikka offers so many varieties so long as I can still grab one of these for a reasonable price. It needs practically nothing to be all the rifle I need. Weatherby offers a dozen Vanguard models that offer almost nothing over the base model, but I don’t complain about that either. So long as the base model remains an option and we’re not all forced to buy roughtechs.

View attachment 664953

So true. The blued barrel, black stock T3X is an excellent rifle. I also hope they never discontinue it.

Gila

WKR
So true. The blued barrel, black stock T3X is an excellent rifle. I also hope they never discontinue it.
I bought my first T3 20 years ago. I put on a Luepold 3x9 standard duplex sighted it in and went hunting. It was in 270 win. I hunted primarily pronghorn and I never missed. Did nothing to the rifle in those 20 years. The T3 action isn’t perfect but always works when you need it.

The rifle suffers from the same slow twist rates and a short DBM long action cartridge length that many other production rifles do. Of course it will shoot any factory ammo or handloads loaded to SAAMI COAL specs for a long action which is 3.34”.