New Tikka Rifles Shot Show 2024

z987k

WKR
I’m odd man out but the factory Tikka stock with the simple vertical grip accessory is excellent. It’s light and serviceable. The channel has a bolster in front of lug that acts similar to a good bedding job that beds in front of lug.

If you want a a cheek riser, the Matthews Kydex cheek riser is inexpensive on Amazon and a simple install.

Take it to next level crazy but I sold my KRG Bravo and went back to the factory stock on my CTR. Factory stock is lighter and has ergos I prefer in a hunting rifle.
The tikka factory stock is possibly one of the worst stocks that comes on a tupperware gun. There is a reason people report how much their tikka in even a 308 recoils. The design increases felt recoil. Yes it's a lighter gun, but there's lot's of 6.5lb guns out there.
It's more or less a mandatory replacement item. So I'd rather not pay for it to begin with.
Tikka and Sako barrels, in my experience, are the best factory barrels in the world. Paired with extremely good actions and triggers, what in your opinion tops them in a factory rifle?

Plastic stock isn’t my cup of tea but that’s easy to replace.
The barrels shoot great. But they take 5-10 years to chamber new cartridges and historically twist them too slow. If you want a new pretty good gun at a good price point in a cartridge that's been around for at least 15 years, but more like at least 50, then the barreled action would be ok, but to me, even the barrel is a throw away every time because they don't exist in what I actually want.

The whole roughtech line is stupid. At that price point there's better options. The tupperware stock is inexcusable at those prices no matter what lipstick they put on it. At $800 for a stainless lite, it's a good gun for a lot of people, it's even a pretty good price for an action and you throw the rest of it away.

The tikka factory stock is possibly one of the worst stocks that comes on a tupperware gun. There is a reason people report how much their tikka in even a 308 recoils. The design increases felt recoil. Yes it's a lighter gun, but there's lot's of 6.5lb guns out there.
It's more or less a mandatory replacement item. So I'd rather not pay for it to begin with.
Huh what other oem stock is 30 oz with a vertical grip option. Go flex their forend vs others next time your at the gun store, Tikkas definitely won't be the flimsiest. Put an airtech on it and the recoil is fine in 30 cal and magnums. Maybe you need to work on your form if it recoils too much for you. If you're a stock snob, sure upgrade so you feel better, but it's nowhere near one of "worst stocks on a Tupperware gun".

z987k

WKR
Huh what other oem stock is 30 oz with a vertical grip option. Go flex their forend vs others next time your at the gun store, Tikkas definitely won't be the flimsiest. Put an airtech on it and the recoil is fine in 30 cal and magnums. Maybe you need to work on your form if it recoils too much for you. If you're a stock snob, sure upgrade so you feel better, but it's nowhere near one of "worst stocks on a Tupperware gun".
I own 3 tikkas. 1 does even still have the original barrel. I'm very familiar with them.
The stocks go straight in the trash.

z987k

WKR
What stock have you been using to replace the OEM stock with?
One's in an XLR one is in an allterra and one is stockless at the moment waiting on the rokstock.
I had one in a wildcat a few years ago and while that's a nice stock, it doesn't fix the increased felt recoil issues with the shape of it since it's a copy of the factory profile.
To be fair on the tupperware stock, I've never owned any of those much cheaper guns like an axis or an xpr. I'm sure their stock is worse.

leoneli

Lil-Rokslider
There’s other options that are just as light and accurate or more so and you don’t have to deal with slow barrels that aren’t thick enough to properly thread, shitty magazines, terrible customer service, and low aftermarket support.

I agree I hate my tikkas,

With my factory Roughtech I made a 1 shot kill kill on a mule deer at 700 yards. And obviously for a 1k dollar gun that is terrible so I decided to make mine a custom carbon hunter. But when I went to do that I had to choose between a proof, preferred, carbon six, or omr prefit barrel. Then I had to choose a stock which also sucked because the only options available were from Mesa precision, stocky’s, McMillan, ag composites, alters arms, etc. and when I put a 9 dollar trigger spring in it I could only get it down to 1.25 lbs with 0 creep and broke like glass.

So yes tikkas totally suck if you are looking for an accurate dependable rifle at a great price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with people saying the roughtechs are silly. The value of Tikkas lies in the basic models (either the lite or CTR). Get the simple barreled action you want and go from there. The normal synthetic stock is great IMO - paint it yourself if you want the roughtech look.

I gotta say that I don't think it's trolling to come into these threads and share anti-tikka opinions. If you think this is bad you should head over to 24hourcampfire sometime.

FYG

FNG
Triggers.
Ejector springs without having to buy a $100 kit.
Stocks/chassis.
AICS bottom metals that don’t have function issues.
AICS bottom metals that take CIP length mags.

Just to name a few.

My customs, one of which cost no more than the Tikka semi custom I pieced together and my Seekins Havak absolutely blow the Tikkas away.

A base Tikka at $600 that you’re going to leave alone and shoot as is makes some sense but these “premium” models and polishing one of the turds with 1-2K in aftermarket parts is just crazy when you can get better shit for the same money.

1706498549360.png
Seeing as you specifically referenced Triggertech... You can cross "Triggers" off your list of reasons to continue to argue a moot point.

RE tikka triggertechs, why is there a market for them? The main thing I didn't like about tikka triggers for a while was the rounded front of the shoe. But i've shot em enough now that I don't give a shit about that anymore either.

The barrels shoot great. But they take 5-10 years to chamber new cartridges and historically twist them too slow. If you want a new pretty good gun at a good price point in a cartridge that's been around for at least 15 years, but more like at least 50, then the barreled action would be ok, but to me, even the barrel is a throw away every time because they don't exist in what I actually want.

The whole roughtech line is stupid. At that price point there's better options. The tupperware stock is inexcusable at those prices no matter what lipstick they put on it. At $800 for a stainless lite, it's a good gun for a lot of people, it's even a pretty good price for an action and you throw the rest of it away.

Man, about every other tupperware stock out there is less rigid and a lot of non tupperware ones too. The christensen ridgeline stocks for example, woof. My xbolt stock is a limp noodle (but the recoil pad and share are better IMO).

Maverick1

WKR
I agree I hate my tikkas,

With my factory Roughtech I made a 1 shot kill kill on a mule deer at 700 yards. And obviously for a 1k dollar gun that is terrible so I decided to make mine a custom carbon hunter. But when I went to do that I had to choose between a proof, preferred, carbon six, or omr prefit barrel. Then I had to choose a stock which also sucked because the only options available were from Mesa precision, stocky’s, McMillan, ag composites, alters arms, etc. and when I put a 9 dollar trigger spring in it I could only get it down to 1.25 lbs with 0 creep and broke like glass.

So yes tikkas totally suck if you are looking for an accurate dependable rifle at a great price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How did you like the texture of the rough tech stock? Was it very similar or significantly different than the normal stock? Asking because there isn’t one local to pick up or fondle.

Gila

WKR
How did you like the texture of the rough tech stock? Was it very similar or significantly different than the normal stock? Asking because there isn’t one local to pick up or fondle.
I have an old T3 stock, two T3x Lite stocks and a RoughTech Ember stock. The old T3 stock has a molded grip but the overall stock is smooth. The grips on T3x stocks as well as the RoughTech have checkered grips and can be changed to a semi-vertical grip. The overall texture of the RoughTech is not really rough but isn’t smoothe either. I think Tikka did a good job with the texture of the Roughtech.

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider
Wow! Never thought I`d see this much negativity towards anything pertaining to a Tikka rifle. I`ve had the impression that they are sort of the " holy grail " of rifles among all those factory rifles short of Accuracy Internationals! Do I need to reconsider when evaluating for a factory gun for range shooting out to 1K at around $1,000 or so?
A few pages back, I could have sworn I had clicked on Sniper`s Hide by mistake!