New Tikka Rifles Shot Show 2024

leoneli

Lil-Rokslider
How did you like the texture of the rough tech stock? Was it very similar or significantly different than the normal stock? Asking because there isn’t one local to pick up or fondle.

I liked the feel I have mesa precision altitudes on all my tikkas now. I really only bought the Roughtech for the threaded muzzle and I liked the color more. Texture wise it has more bite than the standard. I would go up to the veil to get ceracote and stainless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atmat

WKR
Wow! Never thought I`d see this much negativity towards anything pertaining to a Tikka rifle. I`ve had the impression that they are sort of the " holy grail " of rifles among all those factory rifles short of Accuracy Internationals! Do I need to reconsider when evaluating for a factory gun for range shooting out to 1K at around $1,000 or so?
A few pages back, I could have sworn I had clicked on Sniper`s Hide by mistake!
No, you’re good. Pick a Tikka and go to town. There’s two pieces at play here:

1) Most of us see the non-base model Tikkas as a waste of money, and we’re disappointed in them producing more of those without updating some chamberings and barrel lengths/threadings.

2) A couple folks on this forum are vocal complainers. The ignore button works on them.

Tcmo-33

FNG

1) Most of us see the non-base model Tikkas as a waste of money, and we’re disappointed in them producing more of those without updating some chamberings and barrel lengths/threadings.

2) A couple folks on this forum are vocal complainers. The ignore button works on them.

Both points are valid… sometimes I wonder if the guys who are against tikkas are the guys who say “buying the Remington 700 is the only way to go if your going to build a rifle because they have the most aftermarket support”. While that may be true, maybe there is not as much aftermarket support for tikkas because they don’t NEED as much aftermarket support to make them good. At least that’s how I feel about the triggers. 10 bucks on a spring and your in custom trigger territory.

Maverick1

WKR
I liked the feel I have mesa precision altitudes on all my tikkas now. I really only bought the Roughtech for the threaded muzzle and I liked the color more. Texture wise it has more bite than the standard. I would go up to the veil to get ceracote and stainless

Thanks for the information, appreciate it.

For both rifles shown at the SHOT show, it is not clear if those are cerakoted.

leoneli

Lil-Rokslider
Both points are valid… sometimes I wonder if the guys who are against tikkas are the guys who say “buying the Remington 700 is the only way to go if your going to build a rifle because they have the most aftermarket support”. While that may be true, maybe there is not as much aftermarket support for tikkas because they don’t NEED as much aftermarket support to make them good. At least that’s how I feel about the triggers. 10 bucks on a spring and your in custom trigger territory.

I feel a lot of the hate comes from guys with gun safes full of Remington 700s who are pissed that tikka is taking over there place in the market as far as factory options go. Tikkas are like Toyotas. They just work. Plain and simple. They definitely arent as flashy not as sexy but nobody can deny they just work. And like a Toyota you may pay more than average for a “base model” but they hold there value and you not only are buying a gun your buying a piece of mind. Nobody can deny the fact that they just work whatever gripe you have they shoot good and they don’t make lemons. And not to mention aftermarket support is coming in strong the Remington 700 footprint has a crazy head start on tikka and I’ll bet in 5 years custom action companies will be starting to build tikka footprints vs 700

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider

There`s a bunch of Tikka models out there. For the Tikka proponents, is the UPR model considered " base" or not? It`s one I`m interested in potentially exploring further (?). I`m really interested in finding a gun to recreationally ( not competitively ) shoot 1K yards that I don`t have to jerk apart to change triggers, drop into different stocks, etc., etc. I`m not one of the high end, precision , Sniper`s Hide type shooters that build rifles from components that most " regular Joe " shooters have never even heard of, much less can afford.

Last edited:

Tcmo-33

FNG
I feel a lot of the hate comes from guys with gun safes full of Remington 700s who are pissed that tikka is taking over there place in the market as far as factory options go. Tikkas are like Toyotas. They just work. Plain and simple. They definitely arent as flashy not as sexy but nobody can deny they just work. And like a Toyota you may pay more than average for a “base model” but they hold there value and you not only are buying a gun your buying a piece of mind. Nobody can deny the fact that they just work whatever gripe you have they shoot good and they don’t make lemons. And not to mention aftermarket support is coming in strong the Remington 700 footprint has a crazy head start on tikka and I’ll bet in 5 years custom action companies will be starting to build tikka footprints vs 700

Agreed!
Can you get a 700 to shoot well? Yes BUT at what cost? One guy will tell you he didn’t have to do anything to his while others say you Have to blueprint and true the action, put in a trigger, add a stock, change barrel and develop a load among other things. That leaves a lot of variability in what it takes to make them shoot well. All I have ever heard from tikka is that you should change the trigger spring, develop a load and MAYBE change the stock. Others feel that the vertical grip is enough. There is so much value when you buy a tikka because you can take any center-fire rifle and change it to whatever cartridge you want. Not to mention the fact that every part you buy can be interchanged with each other. And for those reasons tikka will have my business until something mayor changes.

wyosam

WKR
There`s a bunch of Tikka models out there. For the Tikka proponents, is the UPR model considered " base" or not? It`s one I`m interested in potentially exploring further (?). I`m really interested in finding a gun to recreationally ( not competitively ) shoot 1K yards that I don`t have to jerk apart to change triggers, drop into different stocks, etc., etc. I`m not one of the high end, precision , Sniper`s Hide type shooters that build rifles from components that most " regular Joe " shooters have never even heard of, much less can afford.

No direct experience with that model, but I don’t see any reason you’d have to change anything to have some long range fun with that. Looks pretty well set up. Mount a reliable optic well and go have fun.

leoneli

Lil-Rokslider
Agreed!
Can you get a 700 to shoot well? Yes BUT at what cost? One guy will tell you he didn’t have to do anything to his while others say you Have to blueprint and true the action, put in a trigger, add a stock, change barrel and develop a load among other things. That leaves a lot of variability in what it takes to make them shoot well. All I have ever heard from tikka is that you should change the trigger spring, develop a load and MAYBE change the stock. Others feel that the vertical grip is enough. There is so much value when you buy a tikka because you can take any center-fire rifle and change it to whatever cartridge you want. Not to mention the fact that every part you buy can be interchanged with each other. And for those reasons tikka will have my business until something mayor changes.

Agreed. But with that said. I don’t want anyone to think tikka makes a bad trigger. They are awesome out of the box. It just is for 10 bucks you can make them amazing. Out of the box they break like glass and are plenty good for shooting and hunting. It just is if you want that trigger target shooting light it’s as easy as an Allen wrench 5 minutes and $9.99+tax

atmat

WKR
I tell everyone: buy a stainless lite, a $20 vertical grip (it’s 1 screw), and you might need a cheek riser (but cardboard and duct tape would work).

Additionally, you could buy a replacement stock — it’s a whopping 2 screws. Stockys can be had for <$400 on sale.

I have my two T3x’s cut/threaded for suppressor, but that’s just personal preference.

Reactions: FYG

FYG

FNG
RE tikka triggertechs, why is there a market for them? The main thing I didn't like about tikka triggers for a while was the rounded front of the shoe. But i've shot em enough now that I don't give a shit about that anymore either.
Agreed on not needing to replace the stock trigger- but I don't doubt the market for more aftermarket items. Folks like to mess with "good enough" and tinker for the sake of tinkering. As many have already pointed out, a $10 spring gets you an awfully good trigger if the stock one didn't blow your hair back to start with.

Gila

WKR
I think one of the best buys out there for a conventional hunting rifle is the RoughTech Ember in stainless. Some hand-loaders won’t buy a Long Action chambering since the T3x action will only feed a cartridge under 3.5” long. For example, the 6.5 PRC is a good cartridge to hand load for a Tikka T3x action, however the 7 PRC, not so much. Of course if all you will ever shoot is factory ammo then the action length limitation is of no concern.

The only “Tikka” parts on my rifles these days is the action and trigger. All of the factory rifles shot just great out of the box. I just want to ”tinker” with chamberings that Tikka hasn’t offered. And of course a custom rifle barrel with a different contour will need a stock to fit the barrel.

Just saw this post. I am one of the few Roksliders running a UPR and I will tell you it’s all you need. Get a Mountain Tactical trigger spring for under $20 and you are set. It comes with a 20 MOA rail already installed, great stock with adjustable cheek piece and threaded barrel. I shoot my 6.5 Creedmoor to a 1K all the time. I sold my KRG Bravo stock cause I prefer the UPR stock. Some people would remove the best tires off a new vehicle cause it’s “factory”. For what you are looking to accomplish, the UPR is great.

IMG_8600.jpeg

Gila

WKR
No direct experience with that model, but I don’t see any reason you’d have to change anything to have some long range fun with that. Looks pretty well set up. Mount a reliable optic well and go have fun.

If you mount a long range optic on a T3x you may want to add a pic rail. And then you will need to add a cheek riser or drop it into another stock with a higher comb. I have a 3x18x50 with a 34mm tube that I needed to mount on a 20 MOA pic rail. I was using a stock pack with a 1 inch riser that was working well at the range, but velcro doesn’t work so well on a back pack. With my other Tikkas I use scopes with a 30 mm tube and 44 mm bell that I mounted directly to the dove tail with ultra light rings.

wyosam

WKR
If you mount a long range optic on a T3x you may want to add a pic rail. And then you will need to add a cheek riser or drop it into another stock with a higher comb. I have a 3x18x50 with a 34mm tube that I needed to mount on a 20 MOA pic rail. I was using a stock pack with a 1 inch riser that was working well at the range, but velcro doesn’t work so well on a back pack. With my other Tikkas I use scopes with a 30 mm tube and 44 mm bell that I mounted directly to the dove tail with ultra light rings.

That model comes with a 20 moa rail, and has an adjustable comb.

bmart2622

WKR
I recently heard that UM has a bottom metal/mag combo in the works that will allow a COL of 3.60 in a Tikka LA so that will eliminate that gripe some people like to bring up

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider
One ( certainly not the only ) thing I`m looking for is an adjustable comb and length of pull. That`s one of the things that has me considering the UPR and the Bergara HMR line.

OP
Castmaster

Castmaster

Lil-Rokslider
One ( certainly not the only ) thing I`m looking for is an adjustable comb and length of pull. That`s one of the things that has me considering the UPR and the Bergara HMR line.
Kalix Teknik makes a adjustable comb that you can add to the standard T3x factory stock and it only weighs 3.7oz.

Gila

WKR
Kalix Teknik makes a adjustable comb that you can add to the standard T3x factory stock and it only weighs 3.7oz.
Mountain Tactical makes a carbon fiber cheek piece also. I think they may have it in a Roughtech texture as well. There are a few other options out there for a cheek piece. As far as LOP a recoil pad spacer works. The UPR and HMR are heavy rifles that weigh 8.5 to 9.5 lbs out of the box. I carried a 12lb rifle out elk hunting once, never again. Each to his own though. My mountain rifles are closer to 8 pounds with optics and ready to hunt.

RE tikka triggertechs, why is there a market for them? The main thing I didn't like about tikka triggers for a while was the rounded front of the shoe. But i've shot em enough now that I don't give a shit about that anymore either.

Man, about every other tupperware stock out there is less rigid and a lot of non tupperware ones too. The christensen ridgeline stocks for example, woof. My xbolt stock is a limp noodle (but the recoil pad and share are better IMO).
One of the few factory triggers that I wouldn’t consider changing, tikka, sako, and kimber are the 3 that I liked fine from the factory (triggers) tikka being as good as any I’ve owned. A cheap spring and a tikka has a great trigger

I have shot a lot of different rifles and never became really fond of a certain trigger geometry, due to not sticking with anything very long… I have never really thought about that, but I could see that

I have shot tikka more than any other, and hopefully I have the common sense to just stick with them going forward