New Truck--Dependability

DAD

FNG
I have messed around with having older, used trucks for too long. Ready to step up to something more modern.

I almost purchased a Tundra back in 21, but was talked into holding off for their newer 22 model. The 22 Tundras dropped and now all I hear are horror stories.

I've read that Chevy and GMC have gone down hill too.

I've been looking at the F150 with the 5.0 V8. I've heard thats their most reliable engine.

Looking for input so I can narrow my search down.

Thanks!

Been looking around for one. They hold their value TOO well. The ones I'm fidning have 50-90k miles on them and are close to the same price as new.
I bought a Tundra a year ago, and since have still kept up on the listings. I've seen several over the last year with less than 40k miles for under $40k. They generally don't last long, but some have sat there for months while their price goes up and down. I always look for "no accidents" and "1-owner", and the 38gal tank. There have been a couple that I was tempted to explore further, even though I already bought one. I wouldn't be past picking up another one for the right price.

Been looking around for one. They hold their value TOO well. The ones I'm fidning have 50-90k miles on them and are close to the same price as new.
They hold their value because people want them because they are dependable.

More and more manufactures are going to turbos and the older V6 and V8s are going to retain their value, especially if they are reliable to 300K.

Neighbor just traded his 22 Tundra (Blown turbo's 3 radiators) for a Chevy. He's a good test bed. He had a 20 tundra , said wished he had it back except for crappy mileage. I think it's a crap shoot anymore.

Neighbor just traded his 22 Tundra (Blown turbo's 3 radiators) for a Chevy. He's a good test bed. He had a 20 tundra , said wished he had it back except for crappy mileage. I think it's a crap shoot anymore.
How many miles on the 22?

I hear nothing but good things about Tundras and how they are bulletproof and last forever but....why can't they figure a way to compete in the gas mileage arena? I've run chevys forever. I think the 5.3 is a very nice engine. Very reliable and solid performance. Have friends with 6.2s and really like those as well. Anyone can point out an instance where something went wrong...we all can but on average that 5.3 in the chevy with either the 8 or 10 speed tranny is a pretty good setup.

How many miles on the 22?
Around 12000, all work was warranty. But we live in mountainous area and sitting on the side of the highway is not much of a option. He was really disappointed after having good luck with the 20. The only reason he traded it was it a 2 wheel drive.

Around 12000, all work was warranty. But we live in mountainous area and sitting on the side of the highway is not much of a option. He was really disappointed after having good luck with the 20. The only reason he traded it was it a 2 wheel drive.
I dont blame him for wanting to get rid of it. Warranty or not, its a pain to have a vehicle that has problems.

I get 17-18 on the hwy with my 2020 1794. I kind of drive like an old man according to my wife, so YMMV. I have owned Fords, Rams, diesels, gassers. The 2021 and older tundras are the best out there if you aren’t hauling super heavy loads regularly. I think its funny guys will spend $75k on a new truck and bitch about fuel mileage - those guys can go buy a prius.

Toyota needs to do a Mega cab so I can get my hounds in the back. The Crewmax is close but.

Toyotas will take you anywhere as long as there is a gas station in sight.

I have put 1000 miles on the 2017 Tacoma I bought and I am averaging 18. Surprised me with it being lifted and on 33s.

I hear nothing but good things about Tundras and how they are bulletproof and last forever but....why can't they figure a way to compete in the gas mileage arena? I've run chevys forever. I think the 5.3 is a very nice engine. Very reliable and solid performance. Have friends with 6.2s and really like those as well. Anyone can point out an instance where something went wrong...we all can but on average that 5.3 in the chevy with either the 8 or 10 speed tranny is a pretty good setup.
Agree, I have had 2007, 2013, 2017 and now have a 2021 Silverado all with 5.3s. The 2021 was one that got the bad batch of lifters and at like 7,000miles had to get 1/2 the lifters replaced. Since then no issues and have 70,000 on it. All the other trucks were driven to 120,000 with no major issues. Check engine light here or there all covered under warranty and were couple hour fixes. Nothing that effected performance or anything major.

My dad has had that many or more Silverado 5.3s in that time from and drove them to 200,000. I think a fuel pump or two...otherwise nothing. He now had a GMC 2500 with the 6.6...only has 40,000 no issues.

One thing I do have an issue with on the new Silverados is fricken body design. WTF would you flair out the body right infront of the rear tires and then think the crap textured spray on "protectant" would suffice. I'm bringing mine in this summer to get Line-X Body Armor on the rockers and around the wheel wells.

You're going to get some biased opinions based on what flavor of Kool-Aid everyone is currently drinking... I currently have GMC 1500 with a 6.2, and looking to get rid of it. I bought it new and have 123xxx on it. I know of 6 people in my small circle that have had 5.3/6.2 motor rebuild or replacements due to the on going lifter issues. Anywhere from 50k-120k before a lifter gets stuck. I would look at the last 12 years of AFM related engine failures prior to buying a 5.3 or 6.2. GM is really shitting the bed with the AFM. I had the trans case rebuilt at 8k, wheel bearing replaced at 45k, and injectors replaced at 58k. Since then its been a great pickup though.

I am currently looking at a 2021 or prior Tundra with a 5.7, F150 with a 5.0 or a GM with a 3.0.

The mileage is abysmal with the 5.7. The poor fuel mileage isn't so much related to motor design as it is the gear ratio. I wish they would have looked at changing the 4.3:1 gear ratio prior to replacing the 5.7 with a 3.4. I am not sure if the resale value vs the extra fuel costs pencils out at the end of the day with Toyota. The suspension leaves a lot to be desired. If you're strictly looking for a motor to last, this would probably be it.

Fords are ridiculously expensive for anything other than an XL with <40k miles. I think they have the best chassis. Very comfortable riding. Although it has evolved a bit, Ford has been putting 5.0/302 motors in half tons for quite a while.. If only they could come back with a revised 351W or 300 I6.

The 3.0 doesn't have a long enough track record to measure dependability. High 20s or low 30s mpg is attractive though. They should be run on the highway a bit, not really a grocery getter.. DPF/EGR/EPA is no friend of the motor in the long run. There are some quirks, mainly the oil pump belt. Engineers really knocked it out of the park with that one..

There is no good options, shopping for new(er) pickups sucks..

Back