Newfoundland Moose Processing issues?

tntrker

WKR
I'm currently in the process of securing a Moose hunt in 2021 in Newfoundland. I was going to drive from South Carolina but it seems very reasonable, cheaper even than stateside shipping, to have everything processed and shipped from there. Saving me a grand and 8 travel days round trip.
I've done the research on everything and was about to send in the "nonrefundable" deposit when I, by chance started checking on what seems to be the only, or main, processor Countryside Abbatoir. Deal breaker reviews of people claiming "hair, dirt, plants, not trimmed at all, all over everything, even in the ground portions." Has anyone else experienced this or have used another processor out there and still be able to use Central NL Shipping?

I'm not going hunting there if this is the "general or normal outcome" from the processor everyone uses. Kind of just took the excitement out of the trip now...

mooster

WKR
Wow I used him for a moose and bou last year. Loved the vacuum sealed meat packs with each weighed and printed as to contents. Nice packed and arrived in a reasonable time when shipped via the consolidated truck.

The waxed boxes kept the meat frozen during my 2.5 hour return trip from the cold storage depot. I’m south of ATL and the storage warehouse was in cartersville ga.

All worked great for me. I haven’t found any hair despite my knowing the outfitter wasn’t the most clean in his early care of the meat. The moose was quartered skin on and carried out via Argo before additional processing, then thrown in a pickup for drop off at the meat processor. I expected to be recleaning meat every time of thawed some. It hasn’t happened yet. That said, the processor may have heavily trimmed the dirty meat reducing yield. I don’t know. I do know I’m pleased with my meat. My sample size is “1”.

It was very expensive meat, for processing and shipping, but worth every penny in my book.

Trial153

WKR
Thats the place near deer lake....they only take cash and if you paying in American dollars they wont make an exchange calculation. Not impressed.

OP
tntrker

tntrker

WKR
All reviews I saw said they loved the packaging other than 5lbs meat pkgs instead of the 1lb requested. I was surprised to stumble on those reviews after everything I had read and there was never a mention of concern about the processor. I had read to be sure to take Canadian money because they didn’t convert which meant cost more, was the only negative I had saw previously. Thanks for the report.

I had a good experience with the quality of the meat last year. My guide and I cleaned the meat thoroughly before the float plane picked it up. We were very soliton removing all the hair from the quarters. My only complaint was the 5 pound packages of ground meat. I requested 1 pound packages on the form that you fill out. It was clean and very busy when we went by there to pay.

I cannot think of processors name that was used in Daniels Harbor, but you can probably search it out. I can't complain that they did a horrible job. I have found pieces of hair from time to time, but that is going to happen. You can't be 100% clean when you have a customer breathing down your neck to get the processing of a moose done in 24hrs. This company did use Central NF and my meat was back in Detroit just about 3 months after I shot it. I really don't have much to say other then I am not upset with their service.

nanuke22

FNG
Good information, I am doing a hunt in 2019, near deer lake, was either going to use butcher there or quarter it the way I want and butcher when I get home. Coming from NJ. I am debating whether to bring a small freezer that I have already or might buy the 400 grizzly cooler.

PA Hunter

WKR
They are the only processer I know up there and you will find some hair. I did have minor leaf debris in some of mine one time. My other moose processed there were better and this past year only a few hairs on roast no leaf debris.
They did piss me off putting 5 lbs burger in each bag when I stated one.

Don’t let them ruin your hunt it’s not that bad, they vacuum pack and flash freeze but you will have a few hairs to wash off no big deal don’t dwell on it and don’t let it ruin your vacation. It’s not a deal killer.

INgunner54

Lil-Rokslider
They are the only processer I know up there and you will find some hair. I did have minor leaf debris in some of mine one time. My other moose processed there were better and this past year only a few hairs on roast no leaf debris.
They did piss me off putting 5 lbs burger in each bag when I stated one.

Don’t let them ruin your hunt it’s not that bad, they vacuum pack and flash freeze but you will have a few hairs to wash off no big deal don’t dwell on it and don’t let it ruin your vacation. It’s not a deal killer.
Man you make an invaluable point here. I have hunted with people that have such a defeatist attitude, and let small things ruin an entire day or hunt. Not saying that's what's going on here, but just that it is so important to stay positive and enjoy your time out hunting. Don't sweat the small things!!

PA Hunter

WKR
Good information, I am doing a hunt in 2019, near deer lake, was either going to use butcher there or quarter it the way I want and butcher when I get home. Coming from NJ. I am debating whether to bring a small freezer that I have already or might buy the 400 grizzly cooler.
I have the 400 qt grizzly cooler put 2 moose in it processed my first time there. After that I bought an enclosed trailer and put a big chest freezer in it. I brought back 8 moose this year.

nanuke22

FNG
I have the 400 qt grizzly cooler put 2 moose in it processed my first time there. After that I bought an enclosed trailer and put a big chest freezer in it. I brought back 8 moose this year.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the information, that grizzly 400 would you be able to put a large set of horns in there? Not moose horns but a large whitetail or muledeer ? I have the grizzly 165 but if the horns are big I can’t fit them in there.

A little bit of hair would not bother me, but enjoy cutting up my harvest, I guess it will depend how fast I can get out of the field and on my way home.

PA Hunter

WKR
Yes you could put large set of horns in it I could have even put my 46 in moose rack in it with just my moose. My wife would fit in it also. It is heavy about 90 lbs empty but made very well. Has a great seal I bought it on clearance or sale real cheap. Has a nice big drain also and is dry ice compatible.

Labdad

FNG
My hunt was in the 80's so not any real help, but....
I hunted with Joe Peddle and the whole trip was awesome. The meat packer he sent our 3 moose and one bou to did an excellent job. We were all happy. And no hair or debris, but we all took care of meat at camp and bagged in meat bags b4 the float plane picked it up.

It was ready to pick up when we wanted it too.

I hope your trip goes like ours. NFLD is one of my favorite hunt memories.

OP
tntrker

tntrker

WKR
Sounds reassuring! I'm not worried about a few hairs, even if it was in every pack, but hair, leaves, and debris even in the ground up like alot of the reviews I read would be worrisome. Thanks for the updated info!

PA Hunter

WKR
Sounds reassuring! I'm not worried about a few hairs, even if it was in every pack, but hair, leaves, and debris even in the ground up like alot of the reviews I read would be worrisome. Thanks for the updated info!
Just opened a 4 lb burger pack very clean not even a hair. I only had some small leaf debris in 2014 on my first hunt there on the last two moose 2016 & 2018 no leaf debris at all. It is not bad but they do a fast job because they get them done in one day so people can drive home next day with their meat they work around the clock.

717jeeper

FNG
We used Ricks meat shop out of Buchans, NL. I have found a few hairs but like some one else mentioned they are easy to spot. Mine was shipped back and in total was nearly $1,000 with the meat processing. Ricks takes only cash if you take the meat with you and you can figure mostly likely a $400-$500 bill. Also we had no luck finding dry ice, but it didn’t become an issue because the meat was frozen and it was cold out. The moose meat it self took up two extra large coolers. If possible shoot early in the week so you can be guaranteed to return home with your meat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk