News that’s gonna rock the mule deer world!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Never downed the buck its a hell of a deer, but it is a cactus buck. Just look at the difference between it and Sean Morgan's Prospect buck. I also don't agree with p&y accepting stags or cactus bucks as they never shed and grow all year, again my opinion, sorry if you don't like it.
There's disagreement on them shedding too. Travis Roundy (taxi on the Paunsagaunt) told me that he's picked up velvet sheds from cactus bucks. He also said that his friend, Ryan Hatch (of Muley Crazy) says they never shed. Me personally, I'll never argue with either of them.

JP100

WKR
There's disagreement on them shedding too. Travis Roundy (taxi on the Paunsagaunt) told me that he's picked up velvet sheds from cactus bucks. He also said that his friend, Ryan Hatch (of Muley Crazy) says they never shed. Me personally, I'll never argue with either of them.

I assume in North America a 'cactus' buck is one with damaged testes or a hormonal imbalance?
In Europe they are generally referred to as 'perruque bucks' (wig in french).

My understanding of these(in Roe deer which seem to be 'common' and this is from what ive read and clients Ive guided from Europe) is that some can eventually harden underneath, but generally they will keep growing and eventually die from either fly strike or some form of infection/blood poisoning.

As I understand in some parts of Europe they are highly prized as trophies and has lead to the practice of catching bucks and castrating them.

Never seen one, and they are very rare in Red deer it seems. But from what ive been told from deer farmers is that if you castrate a stag it will stay in the stage its in, ie if you chop him in hard antler he will never shed and re grow, if you do it when hes in velvet he will keep growing and if you do it when hes shed he will never grow anything.

Either way a buck like this one thats been shot is certainly a 'freak' as are most 'world records', but they should be recorded regardless.
Looks to me that some of the points(droppers) are not properly hard yet.
Either way It is what it is, certainly possible Id say for animals to have chromosomal or hormonal disorders that cause extreme growth, happens in people so no reason it cant happen in animals.

Elkowalic

FNG
It wasn’t a cactus buck but I personally saw a velvet buck that had just shed one side. I don’t really know about cactus bucks

BuckSnort

WKR
I found a 3 pt shed once that was fully covered in velvet.... I have found a lot of sheds over the years but that was a first for me... I'll try to find pictures of it.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I found a 3 pt shed once that was fully covered in velvet.... I have found a lot of sheds over the years but that was a first for me... I'll try to find pictures of it.
we'd love to see that. Could you tell if the velvet was "alive" when the buck dropped the antler?

Just a bomber, congrats to Justin. You cannot beat mule deer with a bow, it is just not possible.

lif

WKR
Cactus buck. Oak buck. Redwood buck. Its a freaking toad!! Don’t let record bucks judge the animal. It’s a rare animal that should be treasured and appreciated as a unique rare animal. Congrats again!! Very cool !!

BuckSnort

WKR
we'd love to see that. Could you tell if the velvet was "alive" when the buck dropped the antler?

Sorry it took so long to find a picture, I cant find the pics I took of it when I found it (2001) but here's a picture a few months after.. By then some of the velvet dried up and started to come off... Robby I'm not sure the velvet was alive but it was definetly covering most of the antler..

Attachments

• Velvet shed found at A.R. in 2001.jpg
    Velvet shed found at A.R. in 2001.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 178
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry it took so long to find a picture, I cant find the pics I took of it when I found it (2001) but here's a picture a few months after.. By then some of the velvet dried up and started to come off... Robby I'm not sure the velvet was alive but it was definetly covering most of the antler..

Hey thanks for posting man. Definitely something going on with that much velvet on a shed. Very interesting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bowuntr

WKR
Yes, but those numbers don't mean much until it is approved and recorded.... that hasn't happened. Not trying to start a pissing match. Just pointing out that he hasn't entered it. Ed F

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, but those numbers don't mean much until it is approved and recorded.... that hasn't happened. Not trying to start a pissing match. Just pointing out that he hasn't entered it. Ed F

Not a pissing match at all Ed. Glad you clarified on that. I just posted it out because it was the first time they had released a net score.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk