News that’s gonna rock the mule deer world!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
There was a mistake in the article. It was killed in Nebraska. Everyone should go to Nebraska to hunt. There are no big mule deer in Colorado.

Dang, can’t believe they misquoted that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark86

Lil-Rokslider
That monster gets bigger the more I look at it. I’d like to see it in person. The one and only Mulibou

mcseal2

WKR
As long as it was taken legally, I can't care less where or how.

Congrats to the hunter who took this incredible buck. I've never taken a buck like that, but I've taken bucks that have made others jealous I let that lessen my experience of taking a special animal at the time. I now choose to be happy for the hunter unless I hear a legitimate reason not to be.

When I walk up on a buck I harvested today I take a pic on my phone and send it to the local game warden. I don't sent pics to many other people. I want the warden to have proof of how the buck was harvested if stories start flowing about how I must cheat to be successful. I hate the rumor mill that comes with success and do what I can to avoid it.

Rant over, congrats on a great buck!

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Even Steve alderman says its a cactus buck there is a good discussion on his Instagram. @muledeercountry

Spoke with the hunter in person, in front of his buck at the Expo. With us was a very reputable S. Utah taxidermist (not sure if he wants named, so I'll hold out). Remember, cactus bucks are most common in the SW and this taxi has been around a bunch of them. This is what he said:

The No cactus buck argument:
-the full testicals as witnessed by several hunters at the kill site
-the coloring of the buck's forehead doesn't look like a the cactus bucks he's seen
-based on testimony from the taxidermist that finished the cape, the "leather" of the skin was of normal thickness, and didn't indicate a cactus buck. In the experience of the 2nd taxidermist, he said that indicates it's not a cactus buck
-antler weight. The taxidermist who handled the antlers commented to the hunter the antlers felt "normal heavy". Cactus bucks have lighter weight antlers. Second taxidermist agreeed.

For Cactus buck argument:

-anything is possible

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
As soon as I saw the pics, I thought that it had to be a cactus buck.
When I saw it in person, I thought it had to be a cactus buck.

But when I spoke to Justin at the expo, he said it had regular testicles. He (Justin Gordon) seemed like a really good guy.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
As soon as I saw the pics, I thought that it had to be a cactus buck.
When I saw it in person, I thought it had to be a cactus buck.

But when I spoke to Justin at the expo, he said it had regular testicles. He (Justin Gordon) seemed like a really good guy.
and he's completely open-minded that it might be a cactus buck too.

The Gordon buck looks real similar to this cactus buck
Spoke with the hunter in person, in front of his buck at the Expo. With us was a very reputable S. Utah taxidermist (not sure if he wants named, so I'll hold out). Remember, cactus bucks are most common in the SW and this taxi has been around a bunch of them. This is what he said:

The No cactus buck argument:
-the full testicals as witnessed by several hunters at the kill site
-the coloring of the buck's forehead doesn't look like a the cactus bucks he's seen
-based on testimony from the taxidermist that finished the cape, the "leather" of the skin was of normal thickness, and didn't indicate a cactus buck. In the experience of the 2nd taxidermist, he said that indicates it's not a cactus buck
-antler weight. The taxidermist who handled the antlers commented to the hunter the antlers felt "normal heavy". Cactus bucks have lighter weight antlers. Second taxidermist agreeed.

For Cactus buck argument:
-anything is possible
Robby I have a question I saw some articles that said cactus bucks can have testicles, but they can still have a testosterone deficiency that causes the abnormal racks. Do you have any insight on this.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
The Gordon buck looks real similar to this cactus buck

Robby I have a question I saw some articles that said cactus bucks can have testicles, but they can still have a testosterone deficiency that causes the abnormal racks. Do you have any insight on this.

I don’t. To my knowledge, I’ve never even seen a cactus buck. I’m only going off of what people are telling me who’ve been around this buck.

Never downed the buck its a hell of a deer, but it is a cactus buck. Just look at the difference between it and Sean Morgan's Prospect buck. I also don't agree with p&y accepting stags or cactus bucks as they never shed and grow all year, again my opinion, sorry if you don't like it.