News that’s gonna rock the mule deer world!

mntnguide

WKR
Ok.. that makes a bit more sense then in those terms. Just curious.. but Cactus buck? Cause it has that type of appearance

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2117ec40337409e02b710efebe54d23a.jpg
thing is a toad

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Ok.. that makes a bit more sense then in those terms. Just curious.. but Cactus buck? Cause it has that type of appearance

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I don’t know if that would be considered a cactus buck or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snowy

Lil-Rokslider
And here I thought the big news was gonna be that Rokslide was going to officially support HB002 in WY...haha, too soon?

Kidding, I bet that was a neat experience watching that buck and making it happen. Good for him!

tdhanses

WKR
And he did it DIY, public land Colorado in a non-premier unit. From the email:

Pending acceptance by the Pope & Young Club, this once in a generation specimen measures an incredible 348 5/8" gross score. If confirmed by Pope & Young, this would place the Gordon Buck as the largest non-typical mule deer ever taken by a bowhunter and potentially the largest non-typical of any method of take recorded since 1926.”

The reason I mentioned this buck as related to wildlife management is because this is the 3rd (and biggest) 300”+ buck (Lopez, Ross bucks) to come from Colorado in 11 years, and all of them from non-premier units.

Prior to Colorado’s change in mule deer management in 1999, nothing like this was happening. The 1990’s were horrible for mule deer in Colorado, and while I know some hunters will never be happy with their management, to grow bucks like this while still giving ample opportunity to hunt, is an accomplishment for Colorado wildlife managers, in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hunt a non premier unit and see a few big bucks and many good bucks each year. I’m happy with mule deer hunting in CO even if I don’t do it each year just because of time.

bohntr

WKR
Cactus bucks (stags) are not accepted by B&C....they also do not accept velvet entries. P&Y accepts stags and velvet entries, but they (velvet) are not eligible for world record status. If not a stag, it would have to be stripped and panel measured by B&C.

tdhanses

WKR
Cactus bucks (stags) are not accepted by B&C....they also do not accept velvet entries. P&Y accepts stags and velvet entries, but they (velvet) are not eligible for world record status. If not a stag, it would have to be stripped and panel measured by B&C.

I prefer it the way it is as it died, but that’s just me.