NF SHV F1 vs Maven RS1.2

The Maven RS1.2 is very similar to the SHV 4-14x50 F1. Similar price. Similar magnification. Both available in Mils. Maven is 4 oz lighter, 6mm smaller objective lens, fraction of an inch shorter.

Other than differences in reticles, why is the Maven the scope du jour when it isn’t really markedly different than the NF? Is there another difference I’m missing?

TxLite

WKR
I think you pretty much covered it. 4oz lighter, better reticle.

Also just a guess, but I’d bet the Maven glass is superior to the shv.

sndmn11

WKR
The zero stop is better.

I wrote the home page review here for the RS1.2. I traded away two SWFA for a SHV and now have four SHVs and the two RS1.2s from the review.

I don't think that the optics ("glass") are any different between the two.

sndmn11

WKR

Weldor

WKR
Anyone actually checked eye relief between the two? Just curious.

rharbaugh

WKR
I’m looking at getting one of these two scopes, but the old soul in me keeps me from loving the maven. My concern is, “what is the longevity of the maven product line?” Say in the next 1, 3, 5, or 10 years, is maven going to continue to enhance and maintain the quality of the RS1.2? I’m not an expert, but Nightforce has a reputation for quality products, while maven is the latest, shiny thing to pass [mention]Formidilosus [/mention]drop test.

Tangentially, I had a SWFA 6x that I broke. Now I’m stuck with an in store credit for SWFA and no idea if/when they’re going to restock the 6x. And, if they do, will it be of the same quality as the previous production model?

So there lies my concern with maven. Say I break it in the next 3 years and they have discontinued the RS1.2. Will I be SOL with inferior product line compared to Nightforce?

Again, im no expert. Im most likely over analyzing this. If I’ve overlooked anything, please let me know where I went wrong.

What’s your thoughts [mention]sndmn11 [/mention] ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sndmn11

WKR
I’m looking at getting one of these two scopes, but the old soul in me keeps me from loving the maven. My concern is, “what is the longevity of the maven product line?” Say in the next 1, 3, 5, or 10 years, is maven going to continue to enhance and maintain the quality of the RS1.2? I’m not an expert, but Nightforce has a reputation for quality products, while maven is the latest, shiny thing to pass [mention]Formidilosus [/mention]drop test.

Tangentially, I had a SWFA 6x that I broke. Now I’m stuck with an in store credit for SWFA and no idea if/when they’re going to restock the 6x. And, if they do, will it be of the same quality as the previous production model?

So there lies my concern with maven. Say I break it in the next 3 years and they have discontinued the RS1.2. Will I be SOL with inferior product line compared to Nightforce?

Again, im no expert. Im most likely over analyzing this. If I’ve overlooked anything, please let me know where I went wrong.

What’s your thoughts [mention]sndmn11 [/mention] ?

Where are you located?

sndmn11

WKR
Eastern Iowa

Boo, I'd let you play with both if you were near.

My concern is, “what is the longevity of the maven product line?” Say in the next 1, 3, 5, or 10 years, is maven going to continue to enhance and maintain the quality of the RS1.2?

. Say I break it in the next 3 years and they have discontinued the RS1.2. Will I be SOL with inferior product line compared to Nightforce?

The warm fuzzy might be what 6oz of a Nightforce SHV F1 gets you.

I don't believe Maven is at any risk of folding up shop; I think they are very very healthy. I do understand your concern about the product line possibly changing and equate that possibility to the Bushnell LRTS/LRHS lines, or any scope from Nikon. Ask @TheCougar about his recent Bushnell experience.

I have one RS1.2 that I will probably hunt with if I snag a rifle tag, four SHV F1s now, and a 10x SFWA side focus that's on the kid's rimfire, with an additional RS1.2 on loan to @Ucsdryder. With pic rails on all rifles I can switch out a potential problem child in a few minutes and be rezeroed quicker than most oil changes. I genuinely do like the SHVs and really only ended up with the Mavens because the opportunity to review fell in my lap.

With that luxury of being happy scope flush, I don't have your same concerns. If that were weighing on me, the NF is the easy button of "durability" but (subjectively) may not be the most ideal reticle/zero set/weight. The Maven (subjectively) may be more ideal in those areas and that's what I would make my decision on.

If I had a rifle and a scope to procure I might feel safer with the NF and not NEED to worry about my scope in functional fashion. I might at some point get a hankering for lighter or a "better" reticle down the road as a WANT.

I too sent a 6x SWFA back for being very broken and that's how I ended up with the 10x side focus. My brother got restationed here locally and just bought a house off base so now he has his own rifle. He put a 10x side focus SWFA on it knowing he has my stuff as a parachute if it goes wonky.

If I were spending your money, I'd look at if you have an "old reliable" or not (or access to one) that can you have you back in the game within a day and let that make my decision. I THINK the RS1.2 has a really good chance of being described that way in a few years, but it still a rookie.

Last edited:
Say in the next 1, 3, 5, or 10 years, is maven going to continue to enhance and maintain the quality of the RS1.2?
I can't predict whether Maven will maintain/enhance things but they appear to be doing all the right things so far. As far as THAT comparison to Nightforce, what has NF done to advance things lately? The SHV line came out in the mid 2010's and hasn't undergone much if any revision at all other than an F1 model and exposed elevation turrets for some. Their reticles, by and large, still suck for hunting even though the H in SHV stands for hunting. Their optical quality isn't bad but other players have caught up. The SHV line doesn't have a true mechanical zero-stop either, instead using the turret housing itself as a kind-of zero-stop which is annoying.

If it weren't for Nightforce's neglect I don't think Trijicon or Maven would have gotten a foothold at the SHV pricepoint. I've had/sold a few SHVs and the next scope I buy at that pricepoint will be an RS1.2 without a doubt. Though I talked to Maven and they said they expect to have the MIL version of the RS1.2 back in stock around June. They didn't anticipate anything close to this demand for it.