Nightforce 4-16x42mm ATACR Field Evaluation Q&A

nrh6.7

WKR
I’ve used both the Nightforce Ultralights with a pic rail, and the Hawkins Hybrids (direct mount) with my ATACR 4-16. Both have been solid for me. The pic rail is from Mountian Tactical and has the arrester pin… as do the Hawkins I think (if not they screw directly into the top… seems like it would do the same thing)

The Hawkins have been on there since they released them. And lots of tough miles and rounds later they are still going strong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you or anyone else know is the Hawkins Hybrids are the lowest direct mount rings available for this scope? I currently have a Murphy Precision rail with NF med rings and am not happy with the height. Trying to bring it as low as possible on a Tikka with stock barrel.

SDHNTR

WKR
Do you or anyone else know is the Hawkins Hybrids are the lowest direct mount rings available for this scope? I currently have a Murphy Precision rail with NF med rings and am not happy with the height. Trying to bring it as low as possible on a Tikka with stock barrel.
Why not measure the difference and just use NF lows?

6.5x284

WKR
APA has a .856" in 34mm for the rail compared to the NF UL 1.0" (medium). Not sure if it's lower than Hawkins or not but may let you keep and use the rail if you wanted it.

nrh6.7

WKR
APA has a .856" in 34mm for the rail compared to the NF UL 1.0" (medium). Not sure if it's lower than Hawkins or not but may let you keep and use the rail if you wanted it.
Thanks, I'll check them out. Originally wanted to use the rail for flexibility in ring spacing, but not sure if I need that now.

Not sure if anyone makes something lower. I can tell you the Hawkins have been great for me and are plenty low

Pic for reference

3273fb5a091d09c420ffe7c2e01a8c02.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZAR EC

FNG
@Formidilosus my Atacr looked exactly like that- I thought it was cracked but ended up just being an adhesive issue after sitting in the car on a hot TN day. Apparently the atacrs had a run with defective adhesives. NF got me fixed up quick.

No doubt Forms knows his optics and I certainly don't doubt he could crack one, but for others seeing the same don't freak out- it may be an easy fix.
I had the exact same issue with my 4-16x42 ATACR. It developed those spidery lines which looked identical. I sent it in and they cleaned the lens. I was told it was an defective adhesive migrating from an early production run. Assuming Forms scope has the same issue then it's sounds like it survived that brutal drop!

The scope did later develope a parralax problem that required it to be sent in as it became unusable. I've had bad juju with scopes though. Both my ZCOs (5-27 & 4-20) have had issues and I've got a S&B 4-16x50 PMII that is showing sticky tracking.

Lwarner03

FNG
Hawkins told me/warned me that their hybrid “low” was more like a mid.
6499FF9C-CA23-4D47-93BD-AE15EAF98A8A.jpeg
I wouldn’t call it very low but I also wouldn’t go any lower or my fat fingers will pinch between bolt and scope.

nrh6.7

WKR
View attachment 546210
I wouldn’t call it very low but I also wouldn’t go any lower or my fat fingers will pinch between bolt and scope

View attachment 546210
I wouldn’t call it very low but I also wouldn’t go any lower or my fat fingers will pinch between bolt and scope.
Thanks, but I don't think I can get low enough with rings alone, so will be looking at stock bags or something else to get some height. Nice rifle.

Marty

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 546210
Sir, can you confirm those are Hawkins hybrids 34mm in low height?

Asking because I’m looking to put a ATACR 4-15x42 on a defiance long action / bartlein sendero cf barrel.

madcalfe

WKR

Asking because I’m looking to put a ATACR 4-15x42 on a defiance long action / bartlein sendero cf barrel.
im running hawkins lows with a 4x16x42 ATACR on a defiance short action, proof barrel

I run a 4-16x42 atacr with the hawkins low hybrids, on a defiance long action.

Works great for me.

But if you know you typically like a scope far back I definitely don't have much if any extra room.

Marty

Lil-Rokslider

Works great for me.

But if you know you typically like a scope far back I definitely don't have much if any extra room.
Thank you!

Marty

Lil-Rokslider

Works great for me.

Thank you!