NightForce NX8

Ya think the NF NX8 4x32-50 F1 is too much scope for a Barrett Fieldcraft 30-06?

That is a lot of scope for a 30-06. But to much scope is often determined by the user. Some people want as much magnification as they can get, even on much less powerful guns. However, I will say that the 30-06 will not get everything out of that scope that the scope is capable of; that is not an issue for many. The bottom line is how do you feel about it.

Edit, or rather addition. That scope will, without a doubt, get everything out of the rifle that it is capable of, as long as you do your part.

OP
Buckshot85
Was liking the magnification with my aging eyes and the ability to dial consistently.

If I were in your shoes, with budget not being an issue, I'd make that purchase in a heartbeat with zero regrets. IMNSHO, you can find scopes with better glass. But, I don't think you will get the level of reliability of dialing from those better glass scopes. I have no doubt that others will disagree on this though.

OP
Buckshot85
Well, let me ask this, for the money are the SHVs as repeatable and solid as the NXS or the other models?

Motown

WKR
This all depends on how far you plan on shooting. If your max shot is going to be 400-500 yards then 32x is way beyond overkill. If you are dead set on a NF and your shots will be 500 yards or less then the 2.5-10 NXS compact would be the best fitted scope especially on a rifle like a fieldcraft.

I think you would be very happy with either. Nightforce has a absolutely solid reputation for reliable dialing on all their scopes. Granted some are made to take more of a beating than others, But I don't think you can go wrong with any of them, as all can take a beating and still reliably perform. That is why they have the reputation they do. I think you need to step back and really pin down the features you MUST have, then look at the other features you want; then see how the scopes align.

The NX8 fits well with long range hunting, at least the 2 higher magnification models.

This all depends on how far you plan on shooting. If your max shot is going to be 400-500 yards then 32x is way beyond overkill. If you are dead set on a NF and your shots will be 500 yards or less then the 2.5-10 NXS compact would be the best fitted scope especially on a rifle like a fieldcraft.

You are correct. However, the OP wants a higher power scope due to his vision not being what it used to be. Granted I do think 32x is overkill, even in his case. But it also will not hunt, as long as he has a very stable rest.

HuntnPack

WKR
I’ve had both the 4-32 f1 & 2.5-20 f2 NX8‘s
Both excellent optics. !!
the 2.5-20 is what I’m using now on a 5.5#
Seekins Element,
works great for my aging eyes.
As far as mounting goes, the 4-32 is slightly longer & a bit easier to get clearances.
But the shorter 2.5-20 can be mounted, just takes a bit more creativity but worth it.
As far as power range, I found the 2.5-20 to be about perfect all around. I like the 2.5 on the low end & still find the scope to be clear all the way to 20 power, no issues.
The 4-32 f1 I had issues with, I really prefer a second focal scope. Also I prefer 2.5 over the 4 power on the lower end for some of my close shots on game.
I also find the 4-32 lost some optically above 24 power in my experience.

Last edited:

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I shoot out to 1k with a 3-15. I’ve gotten my 60 yr old dad on steel at 1000 calling shots while he was using a 1980’s leupold 3-9. I’m going to be getting the NX8 2.5-20 for my custom a just had built. That seems like the ideal zoom range for my style of shooting and hunting.

WildWes

FNG
I have the 2.5-20 on my Barrett Fieldcraft 6.5CM. It went to NM last year for elk, Montana this year for elk and mule deer. I also was able to make hits on steel at 1000 yards. I personally valued the 2.5 more for close range shots.

OP
Buckshot85
I have the 2.5-20 on my Barrett Fieldcraft 6.5CM. It went to NM last year for elk, Montana this year for elk and mule deer. I also was able to make hits on steel at 1000 yards. I personally valued the 2.5 more for close range shots.
The NX8?

gelton

WKR
What are you guys using for mounts for the NX8...I am thinking of picking one up after the season and with the scope being so short it seems to cause issues for long actions especially. A one-piece mount would fix this but I haven't seen any around.

From the pics, I have seen most are using a two-piece mount with the front rings mounted backward so you can have some travel for adjustment of the scope...which to me isn't ideal either for looks or function. I guess you could run a rail but from the comments that I have seen the rail is so long that the bell of the scope nearly touches it causing people to have to either cut the rail down or get higher rings.

The lack of mounting options would bother me, especially for an $1800 scope.

tdhanses

WKR
What are you guys using for mounts for the NX8...I am thinking of picking one up after the season and with the scope being so short it seems to cause issues for long actions especially. A one-piece mount would fix this but I haven't seen any around.

From the pics, I have seen most are using a two-piece mount with the front rings mounted backward so you can have some travel for adjustment of the scope...which to me isn't ideal either for looks or function. I guess you could run a rail but from the comments that I have seen the rail is so long that the bell of the scope nearly touches it causing people to have to either cut the rail down or get higher rings.

I’m using the Hawkins rings that don’t use a rail on my LPA action, plenty of room to adjust it but not as much as most.

Rock-o

WKR
What are you guys using for mounts for the NX8...I am thinking of picking one up after the season and with the scope being so short it seems to cause issues for long actions especially.

On my 300 Win Mag I have a 20 MOA one-piece rail, Nightforce rings, and an NX8 4-32. No problem. When I first got the scope I had a two-piece rail (only two slots on each piece) and I was still able to mount and get my desired eye relief with no problem.

Last edited:

Rock-o

WKR
I have the NX8 4-32. No way I need that much magnification. I'll probably use about 20 or so max. But I'd rather be zoomed to 20 on a 32 vs 20 on a 20. I've read the extremes, low and high, of any scope will not be as good as in between - they all have a sweet spot.