NL 12x42 experience?

Shraggs

WKR
Hey Fly, definitely thought of that. This last year as I started to shoot long, it made total sense to me that a rf bino presented saved time to spotting game, ranging it with an instant solution. Wind call not withstanding.

So my 8 cl companion remains my elk archery

Now instead of of the 12 els for elk rifle on my chest I’m using the 8x44 ZEISS rf. I love the 12x for all around rifle very much but don’t feel handicapped with alpha 8x. It’s now a committed system anytime with a rifle.

Should I want or need more power in the pack would be either the 12, 15 or my ed50 all would go on a tripod then. Either the granite peak or slik mini. So far I’ve only carried the 12s for glassing they are awesome and haven’t needed to look into handholding them any more. I’m so afraid to look at the pures while out of work, and how foolish I might be.

Shraggs

WKR
Oh, I will add that during these tests I was very surprised that 8 revealed more “detail” at reasonable ranges and at long ranges to actuall see detail with 12 & 15s nearly impossible - hand held. Even tho I felt steady. Scanning for game at distance I preferred the 12s if the three, ie deer in cut corn field at the time. I actually used various ways to stabilize, sitting behind pack binos on top, hood of car with range bag, bow vertical on ground bino on cam, etc. it seemed to me it didn’t matter how I stabilized as long as the binos were - the resolution or detail dynamically improved with higher powers way beyond the 8s. I’ve only done this with alpha (I consider meopta alpha) and would not want to extend my conclusions to “lower” tiered glass since I’ve never compared an alpha 8 to Tasso 12 or something. Should anyone read this in the future.

Clarson757

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I’ve got the NL 12x and can’t get enough of them. The FOV is awesome. Clear edge to edge. Can hold them easily. Use them on a tripod and they’re awesome. I’m out west in rocky desert terrain and oaks. Wouldn’t swap for the 10s if I had a choice.

Did the OP get the 10s or 12s?
After a year of debating I just ordered the 12s.
I don't care about handholding and doubt it's a real concern.
Once I went tripod with an Outdoorsman Pan Head I never looked back.

dave3006

FNG
You should consider Canon stabilized 10x42L. I have compared them head to head with alphas. Handheld, it is no contest.

You should consider Canon stabilized 10x42L. I have compared them head to head with alphas. Handheld, it is no contest.
I'm good. I'm a tripod/glassing guy. Realistically, how much detail can you see when handholding? Yes, you will see obvious game out in the open etc. Are you really going to see the deer that is barely visible, or a tine sticking up, subtle flicker of the tail, at distance? Maybe but you will miss way more that you will see. I handhold when hiking to glassing spots but again looking for obvious game.