NM vs CO (draw) Archery Elk

I’ve heard people compare Wyoming general units to 6 point Colorado units.

What would be the equivalent comparison for a New Mexico unit with 4-6% non-resident, unguided odds? Just playing around in Go Hunt that appears to include some really high quality units.

Iowafarmer

Lil-Rokslider

What would be the equivalent comparison for a New Mexico unit with 4-6% non-resident, unguided odds? Just playing around in Go Hunt that appears to include some really high quality units.
We drew a guided New Mexico tags 2nd year

OP
G
To clarify, I was more talking about the comparison in the quality of the hunt, not the chances of drawing.

This is extremely subjective. I’ve hunted in OTC units that provide a ton of good hunting. I have hunted draw that is difficult. Lots of factors go into this. Weather, predation, feed, moon, hunter ability and more. There is good hunting in every state.

Wheels

WKR

I’ve been averaging a NM tag every 8 years unguided NR in a HQ unit, so I would say it equates to a Colorado 8 point unit or LE tag in Wyoming. There is a chance you could draw a NM tag any year.

I’ve hunted both. And there’s no comparison. If you draw a Q/HD hunt in NM, it’s a night and day difference. I’ll take NM over CO everytime. But there are always exceptions to the rule if you know a unit well and where to find the biguns. Which obviously can be done with time and experience in a particular unit.

CMF

WKR
I've hunted a 4% NM unit, a general MT, an OTC and a 0 point unit in CO. There isn't much comparison between the NM and those others. However, I would be happy to hunt any of the places again and we've got into elk in all of them. I imagine UT and AZ will have some comparison, but until they give me a tag, I don't know...

Dave_

Lil-Rokslider
Ive hunted NM, CO, and WY.

I would look at average harvest success over a few years. If your going in blind, units/hunts that average <8-12% have a higher chance of being a crap shoot. Go to a +35-40% are probably pretty solid, but no guarantees to many variables.

NM has some tough hunt units for sure, but also has great units with elk everywhere. WY general is very variable.

That doesn't take into account trophy potential though.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited: