NO SNOW!!!

Rich M

WKR
Not many ducks in FL either - some guys got into some snows last week, shot 3(some do migrate this far from time to time). This weekend will be my first hunt - combination of no quota permit and lack of birds has had us fishing. I'd actually rather go fishing since don't have to get up at 0400 to do that.

Weldor

WKR
Lots of Sandhills down this way, but pretty warm. High 80's the other day.

no snow sucks, big time. winter is by far my favorite season.
actually no winter is not good for the animals. Mountain tops in north idaho have 2 feet of snow.
but mild start usually means tough end.

KurtR

WKR
Nothing in the Dakotas yet still covered up in birds but seasons are closing. It can not snow till mid march then pile it on and melt right away fill up the ponds and have a record year of ducks. This was one of the best year for mallards in the last 10.

Worst duck season in central CA that I can remember. At least we’re getting some rain now

No snow in IA either. Its forecased to be warmer on Christmas Day than it was on Thanksgiving or Halloween. No snow to push which is nice, and giving the ponds a few more days weeks of relief. However, we have got to get some significant moisture. My father in law read an article the other day that said we need at least 155" of snow this winter just to get caught up with last 4 years of drought. Crop analysts are saying this will be the year we see massive crop losses if we don't get rain/snow this winter or spring.

2 tiles out home that run even in the driest years are barely dripping, and they drain a steep 160 acre bowl. It's really getting bad in Western IA.

wytx

WKR
I know the high country needs snowpack but the animals could use a mild winter this year.
Will be way worse with no snow, moisture for forage is more important. Had a great Spring and summer this year with our snowpack and Spring rains, we need the moisture to grow some animals.
Going to be some dry springs around parts of the state and that water is counted on by folks and the wildlife.
One positive is the creeks around us are still running with decent flow, not really low like in most years.