Non-resident elk hunters breaking point.

PRC_GUY

WKR
I would Wyoming nonresident till I kill a bull regardless of how much $$$&&, I want a bull either 5x5 or 6x6 , I don’t care about score, a bull shoulder mount is alway my trophy.

I tend to chuckle when folks bitch about the costs and hunting is becoming a rich man’s game.

A sizable portion of them tend to:
* Drive a $70k+ pickup all dolled up
* Drive a $20k+ SXS all dolled up
* Tow a $40k+ toy hauler all dolled up
* Have $6k+ in optics
* Wear $1.5k+ in clothes
* Shoot a $5k+ custom rifle

All while bitching that their ammo went up $1 per round so their budget is blown.

Folks will figure out a way to keep hunting where they want on the frequency that they want. But one thing is constant: folks will always find something to bitch about.
Those guys might bitch but they will still be able to buy their tags. What's at hand is squeezing out the <100k yr earning hunters.

tdhanses

WKR
Let me reword what I wrote previously.

Folks will find money for those items that are a priority to them. Folks will bitch about the costs of the most trivial of things when it is not a priority to them.
And that isn’t dependent on material items they own.

My cutoff for a general tag is $1500, depending on the state. I’m willing to wait a max of 3 years to draw general tags.

Rich M

WKR
Never said everyone.

But if you (general and not specific to any individual) were to actually look at what a sizable portion of the hunting population brings on a hunt, it is jaw dropping. And if you (again generic and not specific to any individual) we’re to ask about the cost of tags, they’d bitch up a storm.
I was busting your balls a little. My boots are pretty new, 5 yrs old, just getting broke in. ;)

Knew a guy exactly as you described. He didnt last too long in the sport but had everything the guys on TV did, was drawn in by the marketing hype. Incredible that some folks do feel the need to splurge like that and complain about the price of a coffee. Odd.

ElkPRC

Lil-Rokslider
In a perfect work I don't want to spend over 750-800 for an elk tag, I would pay up to 100 per year for a point but, would expect a worthy elk hunt to be awarded with those points in 4 years or less. Not super unrealistic but it likely will be shortly.

CBB

FNG
I found myself debating this very thing. As it stands my great uncle lives in MT. So part of my hunt involves hunting and visiting with him. Hard to put a price on that.
Cost me 1300 to apply this year.. what's another couple hundred at that point. If it gets to 2000 I may consider other endeavors or build points to get a better unit with better game numbers.

elkhuntrr75

Lil-Rokslider
My beef isn’t with the cost as much as it is with the opportunity. Wyoming cutting the NR quota to 10% hurts. A sheep or moose tag just got a whole lot tougher to draw. Had I known that they would have made this change 10 years ago I would not have started buying points.

You guys say that you don’t mind the cost. I get that but buying sheep points for 25-30 years and still not drawing is disheartening. This has class action lawsuit written all over it. I would like the opportunity to sell back my points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m willing to pay much higher to limit access and have a better experience but that isn’t the way it should be. What really pisses me off is forcing me to pay more or gain access through an outfitter when I enjoy the challenge of doing it on my own. I don’t want Montana forcing my money to outfitters and ranchers.

Last edited:

Behlftball

Lil-Rokslider
I’m willing to pay much higher to limit access and have a better experience but that isn’t the it should be. What really passes me off is forcing me to pay more or gain access through an outfitter when I enjoy the challenge of doing it on my own. I don’t want Montana forcing my money to outfitters and ranchers.
Agreed. I'm not sure why states feel like they have to subsidize outfitters

md126

WKR
For me it wouldn’t be the money but the principal of it. As soon as I started feeling screwed over I’d probably move on.

Same for the point cost. I’d pay 100 for a point but not if I’d never be able to draw with law changes (Wyoming) and point creep

Laramie

WKR
People on Rokslide are more than likely the higher threshold guys. We care enough about it to spend time during the offseason on forums for the opportunity to discuss topics like this one. The reality is we have already passed the threshold for some. I know many that have simply given up because they aren't willing to invest in years of points to draw a tag that they used to get every year or every other year. This isn't visible to most since those guys are so easily replaced by the growing population of new to the west hunters. I hope I never discover what my personal threshold is. If I do, I'll still hunt elk during the rut with a camera on the public land that I fought hard to keep.

BuzzH

WKR
My beef isn’t with the cost as much as it is with the opportunity. Wyoming cutting the NR quota to 10% hurts. A sheep or moose tag just got a whole lot tougher to draw. Had I known that they would have made this change 10 years ago I would not have started buying points.

You guys say that you don’t mind the cost. I get that but buying sheep points for 25-30 years and still not drawing is disheartening. This has class action lawsuit written all over it. I would like the opportunity to sell back my points.

If you have 25 points currently you're golden and should have already hunted both sheep and moose by now.

StillBald

FNG
Non-resident elk hunters . I am curious at what threshold most non-residents would say I'm done and move on to other endeavors. Maybe you don't have a threshold . I think realisticly most do. I realize there are a million different scenarios .maybe you hunt elk in your home state. Vested points already etc. Let's say you are a non-resident putting in for a GENERAL ELK tag with 0 points starting from scratch. 3 questions. Currently
1) how much would you be willing to pay for a general elk tag ? $1000, $1500, $2000 ?
(good , but not cream of the crop)
2) how much would you be willing to pay for a yearly point knowing if you don't keep up your yearly investment its gone (some states maybe 1 year interruption ) $50, $100, $500 ?
3) how many years would you wait for a general elk tag ? 2-4, 8-10?
Lol, nice try CPW. I'm not participating in this market research thread for you figuring out how much to raise tag prices!

BuzzH

WKR
As to what threshold for elk tag prices and points I don't even think about it. I apply for all kinds of stuff, elk, sheep, pronghorn, deer, etc. Don't care about the cost, it's what I enjoy doing.

If a person likes to ski, I doubt the price of a ski pass is what they worry about.

If it's something a person really enjoys, the cost doesn't matter and they make it happen.

Imo, the folks worrying about costs are not real serious about hunting. It's just another hobby.

elkhuntrr75

Lil-Rokslider
As to what threshold for elk tag prices and points I don't even think about it. I apply for all kinds of stuff, elk, sheep, pronghorn, deer, etc. Don't care about the cost, it's what I enjoy doing.

If a person likes to ski, I doubt the price of a ski pass is what they worry about.

If it's something a person really enjoys, the cost doesn't matter and they make it happen.

Imo, the folks worrying about costs are not real serious about hunting. It's just another hobby.

Yeah I feel for you. Do you apply for deer, elk, sheep and moose as a Wyoming resident or do you take your family out to dinner at McDonald’s. Decisions decisions

BuzzH

WKR
Yeah I feel for you. Do you apply for deer, elk, sheep and moose as a Wyoming resident or do you take your family out to dinner at McDonald’s. Decisions decisions

My wife and I apply for everything in Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, Arizona, Utah, Nevada, Texas.

Apply off and on in Idaho, new Mexico, Alaska, Oregon.

Usually throw in for a few dozen raffle tags or so, mostly sheep but deer, elk, pronghorn, moose, goat and bison as well.

We've had fair luck so far but I think the next decade is going to produce some good hunting. Been applying seriously in multiple states since 1998.